The Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along Forum

This post has 1,785 Replies | 101 Followers rated by 18 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 11:28 PM

I did need to alter the sleeve lace chart a little to do it as a 'knitted-on' border.  If anyone wants details, let me know and I will supply.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Henrietta_1 wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 4:47 AM

robin e

I am really impressed with how you have picked up the stitches for the armhole, it looks GORGEOUS.  Please can you post instructions as to how you did it  and also how you were able to do the lace pattern after picking up the stitches. Hope this makes sense

Henrietta

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Henrietta_1 wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 4:48 AM

robin

I would love to see the instructions.  I think you did a beautiful job

thanks in advance

Henrietta

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jjuliane wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 5:36 AM

This looks very much like my Bella, except my band is glossy - I'll work on a picture this weekend.   havent done it yet because I'm techno/challenged.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
musicali wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 8:08 AM

Good morning robin e;

Yes, please, I would very much like to know the details that you offer for the sleeve.

Thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 12:04 PM

Okay, here goes.... (if anything is unclear, please just say so, or if anyone else can add something, please jump in!....)

Basic outline

Pick up stitches around the portion of the armhole for the lace (less 2" each side for the 10 CO and BO stitches to be seamed at the end).  Adjust so the number of picked up stitches matches the number of rows of lace. [I was going to do 5 repeats of the middle lace portion, so that's 83 rows of lace (43 rows of chart + 40 for the additional 4 times of the repeat rows).  I picked up 83 stitches on the armhole.]

CO the 10 stitches for the lace,  At each edge where the lace meets the body (the picked-up stitches), work one lace stitch together with one picked-up (pu) stitch by doing a p2tog on the WS rows and a ssk on the RS rows.  [I tried a k2tog instead of ssk on one arm, but didn't like the look, so I used ssk for both the right and left sides.]

More detail

This 'knitting-on' required that the end stitch of the lace to be knitted with a picked-up stitch be a "knit stitch" on RS rows and a "purl stitch" on WS rows.

I was following Charla's charts, and on the right sleeve (which I did first), this is not the case for rows 16-27.  So, I increased one additional stitch on row 18 (only the first time - not when repeating this row), so that the repeat rows, 18-27, are like the bottom band. 

On row 18 (1st repeat only), I did: ssk (1 lace stitch with 1 pu stitch), M1P, k1, then yo, etc. as in the chart. 

On all other repeat rows:  RS rows started with: ssk (1 lace st + 1 pu stitch), p1; WS rows ended with: p1, p2tog (1 lace st + 1 pu st).

Then for the decreases:  At the last repeat of row 26, I decreased that extra stitch I'd added by:  ssk (1 lace + 1 pu st), ssk, then continue with pattern.

On rows 28 and 32: ssk (1 lace + 1 pu st), ssk, then continue with pattern.

On rows 36 and 40:  ssk (1 lace + 1 pu st), p2tog, then continue with pattern.

Note: 

I kept a marker between the lace and the picked-up stitches, moving it as I went along.

For the Left sleeve:  I added one stitch at row 18 (the first time only), by ending (after the last 'yo, ssk') with:  M1P, ssk (1 lace + 1 pu st).

On all other repeat rows:  RS rows ended with p1, ssk (1 lace + 1 pu st);  WS rows started with:  p2tog (1 lace + 1 pu st), p2.

The decreases:  At the last repeat of row 26:  omit the last yo, ssk, ssk (1 lace + 1 pu st). 

Rows 28, after the leaf:  p2, k1, ssk, ssk (lace + pu).

Row 32, after the leaf: p2, ssk, ssk (lace + pu). 

Row 36, after the leaf: p1, p2tog, ssk (lace + pu).

Row 40, after the leaf: p2tog, ssk (lace + pu).

I hope your sleeves come out wonderfully!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 12:07 PM

One more thing:  Using the flipped charts, start the lace at the front for both right and left sleeve.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 12:38 PM

Thanks so much Robin...I am still hanging in ... if this were one month ago I'd be right up to speed!  My bottom band is working out; still can't find my camera; but I really appreciate this help that I will need for certain about a month from now!

To All, really enjoying your pictures and seeing how individual, yet lovely each Bella is turning out! Cheers, Chris

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 12:54 PM

I just blocked the body of my Bella - still knitting the sleeves - and I thought I'd post a warning - watch the shoulder drop!

If you look on the schematic diagram of the blouse, the shoulder drop should be 1.5" - mine was closer to 2.5". I will have to take back an inch once the blocking is done - just a minor alteration. Fortunately I suspected there was an issue so I hadn't sewn the shoulder seams yet. I can see how it happened - the drop is the difference between where you started the neck on the back and where the shoulders are but the shoulders are related to the height of the armhole so if you're making a change on the fly it's easy for the drop to wind up being way different from the pattern. And on this pattern the drop ought to be right because of the lace inserts - you don't want something that's supposed to lie around your neck in fact not reaching your neck at all!

By the way - I'm basing my 3/4 sleeves on an old pattern I have that has sleeves that fit the way I like, and I belled out the bottom of the sleeve by making the band with 10 repeats (15") and then decreasing fairly quickly so it reaches the proper width at the upper arm.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 2:11 PM

I've found wonderful stash for my sleeved bella.  I'd like to do the body in Lustra (which is 50/50 wool/tencel) and the lace in Touche (which is 50/50 cotton/rayon).  Does anyone know of any potential problem to mix these fibers?  They are both similar gauge.  Another issue could be about the care.  It would have to be hand-washed for sure.  Is there any other potential issue with using different fibres here?  Thanks for any thoughts!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 3:29 PM

robin e:

I've found wonderful stash for my sleeved bella.  I'd like to do the body in Lustra (which is 50/50 wool/tencel) and the lace in Touche (which is 50/50 cotton/rayon).  Does anyone know of any potential problem to mix these fibers?  They are both similar gauge.  Another issue could be about the care.  It would have to be hand-washed for sure.  Is there any other potential issue with using different fibres here?  Thanks for any thoughts!

I think they'll look great together. One thing to wonder about - the Lustra is a bit heavier (Berroco gives the gauge as 4.5 st/in instead of 5.0) and the colours on the Berroco website look fairly bright. I think that it might be a good idea to knit the band separately from the body and sew it on afterwards. Firstly because if you pick up from the more delicate Touche with the heavier Lustra it might pull the band out of shape, and secondly, that would give you a chance to wash the body pieces before the lace is attached, so you can judge whether there's going to be a problem with the colour running.

My own second Bella is going to have a smooth cabled cotton body, and I'm knitting the band separately for the same reasons. That, and I bought the yarn really cheap because there aren't any ball bands and if it is unevenly dyed (which I strongly suspect) I'll be able to overdye the finished body before attaching the lace.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 4:45 PM

Oh AdeleDS, thank you soo much -- color running didn't occur to me at all!  The color of Touche I have for the band is an off-white (kind of pearl-y looking), while in the Lustra I'm looking at using a dark brown and/or a golden/lighter brown (Champignon).  Color running could be a disaster!  Good idea to knit the body separate and wash it before adding the lace. [Also thanks for pointing out -- I had miscalculated about the gauge.]

I'm still thinking about colors..... I could do the entire body with the dark brown, but I'd like to use the golden brown and don't have enough in that color for the whole top with sleeves, so now I'm contemplating about using both, and thinking about how I might do that (maybe sleeves or sleeves and side 'panels' in dark brown, middle body portion in the lighter golden brown (or the other way around), and lace inserts in the off-white?).  I also have some skeins of Lustra in deep red.  A new thought is to go with all Lustra, either the two browns or the browns and the deep red (very Autumn looking; haven't thought much about this combination and which colors would go where - maybe red leaves), but I really like the off-white with the browns.  Okay, enough of my rambling for now....

Is your yarn 'cabled' or are you planning to add cables to the body?  I've also been thinking about adding some sort of panel of a vine or more leaves going up the body, maybe just on one side (on the front, a bit off from centre).

AdeleDS:

robin e:

I think they'll look great together. One thing to wonder about - the Lustra is a bit heavier (Berroco gives the gauge as 4.5 st/in instead of 5.0) and the colours on the Berroco website look fairly bright. I think that it might be a good idea to knit the band separately from the body and sew it on afterwards. Firstly because if you pick up from the more delicate Touche with the heavier Lustra it might pull the band out of shape, and secondly, that would give you a chance to wash the body pieces before the lace is attached, so you can judge whether there's going to be a problem with the colour running.

My own second Bella is going to have a smooth cabled cotton body, and I'm knitting the band separately for the same reasons. That, and I bought the yarn really cheap because there aren't any ball bands and if it is unevenly dyed (which I strongly suspect) I'll be able to overdye the finished body before attaching the lace.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
munchkin1590 wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 6:06 PM

Looks very niceSmile Yes I would like details on how you did it. My email is clyach@aol.com      Thanks Carol aka munchkin1590

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 9:37 PM

robin e:

Is your yarn 'cabled' or are you planning to add cables to the body?  I've also been thinking about adding some sort of panel of a vine or more leaves going up the body, maybe just on one side (on the front, a bit off from centre).

The cabled cotton is just that - the yarn itself is cabled - I'm not planning to add cables to the pattern. When I knit the Bella I've just blocked in a heavier cream-coloured yarn, I thought of putting something from the lace pattern - like the arrow-head motif, for example - traveling vertically on my blouse, because I was worried that the smoothly knitted body would make me look like a giant mushroom. I decided not to do the arrowhead motif, but I did put a pattern of purl stitches up the body, starting widely spaced and getting more tightly spaced up to the shoulders. The purpose there was not only to break up the knitting, but also to pull in the top a bit, since I have very narrow shoulders.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
achyrelle wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 9:51 PM

Hello all, I am just getting started knitting my Bella... I have been busy.

I am just looking over my pattern and it says to "mark row 130 (center row of band" for the bottom band. How and where should I do that? I can't place a marker. Help! :)

Page 109 of 120 (1786 items) « First ...  < Previous  107 108 109 110 111  Next >  ... Last » | RSS