Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along: "Hey, I'm adding sleeves!" Forum

This post has 69 Replies | 10 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 2, 2011 5:00 PM

I wonder if Kathleen could get permission to put it on the KAL.  Kathleen would you please check into that and let us know.  I said earlier that she didn't say much about armholes but it is enough for you to figure out how to shape one.  I hadn't read it in a while and noticed that when I read it yesterday.  If Kathleen can't put it up we may need to exchange emails.

Shanna

Sewesie:

oxid8:

I decided to check out that lab as well since it was half off.  She had some good things going on but I think the biggest reason she said that is because she was concentrating on fit below the armhole and on raglan sweaters.  Both of her patterns in that course are raglan.  Before I had the books I came across an article by Pam Allen in Interweave Knits Winter 2007 about set-sleeves.  She gives you the formula to calculate how to make the sleeve caps to fit the armhole but doesn't tell how to do the armhole.  This is an excellent article.  At some point down the road I am probably going to explain this but if you have access to that article it tells you what to do.  The books pretty much say the same thing.  If you don't have access maybe you could ask Kathleen if she would be willing to put it online somewhere.  If that doesn't work out then lets talk again. Basically it is more math.  I was very glad to find that article because I don't like to try and rip fifty times to get what I like.  

As far a comparison goes, the cap height is related to the width of the sleeve at the underarm and also related to the inches around the armhole.

I don't have a copy of Interweave Knits Winter 2007.  Is there any way to access this article, do you know?  I'm new to Interweave and all its ramifications.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Aug 3, 2011 12:49 PM

How does one even ask Kathleen about posting the article by Pam Allen?  Lynne aka imalulu

oxid8:

I wonder if Kathleen could get permission to put it on the KAL.  Kathleen would you please check into that and let us know.  I said earlier that she didn't say much about armholes but it is enough for you to figure out how to shape one.  I hadn't read it in a while and noticed that when I read it yesterday.  If Kathleen can't put it up we may need to exchange emails.

Shanna

Sewesie:

oxid8:

I decided to check out that lab as well since it was half off.  She had some good things going on but I think the biggest reason she said that is because she was concentrating on fit below the armhole and on raglan sweaters.  Both of her patterns in that course are raglan.  Before I had the books I came across an article by Pam Allen in Interweave Knits Winter 2007 about set-sleeves.  She gives you the formula to calculate how to make the sleeve caps to fit the armhole but doesn't tell how to do the armhole.  This is an excellent article.  At some point down the road I am probably going to explain this but if you have access to that article it tells you what to do.  The books pretty much say the same thing.  If you don't have access maybe you could ask Kathleen if she would be willing to put it online somewhere.  If that doesn't work out then lets talk again. Basically it is more math.  I was very glad to find that article because I don't like to try and rip fifty times to get what I like.  

As far a comparison goes, the cap height is related to the width of the sleeve at the underarm and also related to the inches around the armhole.

I don't have a copy of Interweave Knits Winter 2007.  Is there any way to access this article, do you know?  I'm new to Interweave and all its ramifications.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 12:24 PM

imalulu:

How does one even ask Kathleen about posting the article by Pam Allen?  Lynne aka imalulu

I am hoping she will read this KAL and respond.

Shanna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 5, 2011 2:44 PM

oxid8:

I found a video on youtube that I used to try a top down short sleeve.  It turned out okay.  I say okay because I was not sure about the whole sweater anyway.  In hindsight I might have changed the armhole.  Look up Paula Ward and click on the top down sleeves video.

Shanna

Shanna, Thanks so much for the reference to Paula Ward's video.  Now I know top-down set-in sleeves are quite easy!  There was just one thing I didn't understand in the video:  why the seams would be loose (and hence the need for the contrasting thread to pull them tighter)?

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 5, 2011 7:39 PM

Robin,

I had to go back and watch it again because I forgot.  I think that is just her way of picking up stitches and tightening them.  If you already pick them up tight or pick them up and tighten them before knitting then you wouldn't need that thread.  You don't need it the way she did it either but it sure makes finding that row a whole lot easier.

On a different note I would like to suggest looking at the blog What's on Sandi's Needles on the Knitting Daily site.  A few blogs back (not sure how many) Sandi walks readers step by step through how she sews set-in sleeves to the body of  a cardigan.

robin e:

oxid8:

I found a video on youtube that I used to try a top down short sleeve.  It turned out okay.  I say okay because I was not sure about the whole sweater anyway.  In hindsight I might have changed the armhole.  Look up Paula Ward and click on the top down sleeves video.

Shanna

Shanna, Thanks so much for the reference to Paula Ward's video.  Now I know top-down set-in sleeves are quite easy!  There was just one thing I didn't understand in the video:  why the seams would be loose (and hence the need for the contrasting thread to pull them tighter)?

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 5, 2011 7:47 PM

Sewesie:

Please add me as a friend as I have some sleeve information to give you.

Shanna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 155
klandreneau wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 6:04 AM

oxid8:
On a different note I would like to suggest looking at the blog What's on Sandi's Needles on the Knitting Daily site.  A few blogs back (not sure how many) Sandi walks readers step by step through how she sews set-in sleeves to the body of  a cardigan.

Shanna,

Just went to KD but unable to see what article you are referring to--would you mind giving me the date?

Thanks!

Katherine

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 7:25 AM

Shanna, I'd love to get your sleeve info -- how does one 'add a friend'?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 10:07 AM

Robin,

Click on the user's name in blue at the top of a post and you should find a place to add them as a friend.  Then we can start a conversation.

robin e:

Shanna, I'd love to get your sleeve info -- how does one 'add a friend'?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 10:13 AM

Katherine,

I went back to the third page and it is named Seaming a Sleeve Cap:  a Tutorial parts 1 and 2.  She is putting sleeves into her Farmer's Market Cardigan.  The dates are March 11th and 18th, 2010.

Shanna

klandreneau:

oxid8:

Shanna,

Just went to KD but unable to see what article you are referring to--would you mind giving me the date?

Thanks!

Katherine

Not Ranked
Posts 5
claudebadley wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 12:16 PM

Here are the links for the set-in sleeve tutorials

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/needles/archive/2010/03/11/seaming-a-sleeve-cap-tutorial.aspx

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/needles/archive/2010/03/18/seaming-a-sleeve-cap-tutorial-part-2.aspx

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
Sewesie wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 2:56 PM

oxid8:

Shanna

I've done it.  Hope I've done it right!  I'm such a newbie at this.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 1:15 PM

Hey Everyone!  I look forward to seeing some beautiful sweaters soon.  I have reached the point of shaping the armholes.  I tried one combination and felt like there wasn't enough stitches decreased.  I wanted to draw it out before I tried again so I went online to see if I could find graph paper to print.  I found one that worked great and bookmarked it.  The address is www.incompetech.com/graphpaper/asymmetric.  When you print it make sure you do not do fit to page and it works great.

Shanna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 10:14 PM

I tried a few also.  I found nice graph paper at 'knitonthenet'.  It has rulers along the sides, and numbers the rows:

http://www.knitonthenet.com/designchart/

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
Sewesie wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 12:18 PM

oxid8:

Dear Shanna,

Thank you for the e-mail.  I did receive it and replied, but it must have got lost in the ether.  I've been off-line for a while, because some stuff cropped up that I had to deal with first, so I've only just found it,  but thank you very much for all the information.  It's very  helpful.  And thank you too, for the reference to the youtube video.  I'm off to look at that closely.  I've done very little to my Bella Blouse for a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping to do some work on it soon and I think I'm on the way to sorting out the problems between my camera and my photo. program, so I may be able to post some pics. too!

Page 3 of 5 (70 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS