Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along: "Hey, I'm adding sleeves!" Forum

This post has 69 Replies | 10 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 22, 2011 12:04 PM

I was just explaining how I arrived at the total number of rows I had available to decrease on each side.  The formula is for those rows above but I am assuming someone out there is very beginner and might not think about the fact that they bound off to decrease on those rows.  I started with the total number of rows so had to subtract out those two with the others.

Shanna

imalulu:

Shanna...question about this....

I take my total rows of of 37 and subtract the first because I wanted to work even 1 row before the initial bind off row.  This gives me 36 rows.  

I will subtract my two initial bind off rows

and the four top bind off rows which leaves me with 30 rows to work in those 11 decrease rows. 

Aren't these two initial bind off rows already not in the total rows because the formula is for the rows ABOVE the inital underarm bind offs????

Lynne aka imalulu

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Aug 22, 2011 1:13 PM

Oh, OK...I understand, now.  I have re-done my "numbers" twice, making all a bit bigger because I've been worried I was too skimpy.  I'll post my final numbers in the next few minutes.

oxid8:

I was just explaining how I arrived at the total number of rows I had available to decrease on each side.  The formula is for those rows above but I am assuming someone out there is very beginner and might not think about the fact that they bound off to decrease on those rows.  I started with the total number of rows so had to subtract out those two with the others.

Shanna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Aug 22, 2011 1:46 PM

Here are my numbers and computations....

First my st gauge is 5.25 sts=1" and my row gauge is 6.5 sts=1"

I plan on having 88 sts on the needle at the underarm or 16.75 inches.  My underarm bind offs take away 8+8 sts, leaving 72 sts.

I am allowing 20 sts at the top of the sleeve cap, or 3.8 inches. (need to get rid of 52 sts)

To caculate side B...half of my sts after initial bind off is 36 divided by 5.25 = 6.857 minus half of my top of sleeve cap or 1.9" = 4.957 rounded to 5

To calculate side C...half of my armhole curve is 9.5" minus 1.9" = 7.6

To calculate side A...C squared is 57.76   minus  B squared is 24.57 = A squared  or 33.19   sqaure root is 5.76 x row gauge 6.5 = 37.44 or 38 rows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If all this is correct then I'll have to dec 52 sts in 38 rows.  I could match my main body underarm and dec 2 sts the first 2 rows leaving 48 sts to dec in 36 rows..... 

I'm a little foggy on how to do this since the guideline says to dec about half of necessary decs in the first half of sleeve cap (up to the middle).  So that would be, for me 26 sts in the first 19 rows.  So, if I take away 4 in the first 2 rows that leaves 22 sts to dec in 17 rows. 

And if I take away 3 sts in each of that last four rows before final bindoff....I guess that meand I'd have to take away 14 sts in the 15 rows that are from mid sleeve cap to those last 4 rows of 3 bindoffs each. 

Is this clear as mud.  Does it seem to be my correct mud???

Lynne aka imalulu

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Aug 22, 2011 10:16 PM

Lynne,

It looks good up until calculating the decreases.  You do have to decrease 52 stitches in 38 rows.  

72 - 20 = 52

52 - 4 for your armhole match = 48

48 - 12 for you top bind off rows = 36

36 divided by 2 = 18 rows with decreases on each end

38 rows - 2 armhole match rows = 36

36- 4 top bind off rows = 32 rows available for decreasing on

32 divided by 18 = 1.77777 - 1 = .777777 x 18 = 13.99999 rounded to 14.  You can decrease over 2 rows 14 times for a total of 28 rows.  32 - 28 = 4.  You can decrease every row 4 times.  How you distribute it is up to you.  I would probably decrease every row twice, every other row 14 times, and then every row twice again.  This is sandwiched in between your bind off 2 on two rows and bind off 3 on four rows.

I have been having a frustrating time today reworking my armholes.  I knit up the right amount of rows but it would be too long for my sleeve.  I finally measured the gauge and found my body gauge was 28 stitches per 4 inches but by my neck shaping in the armhole area it went to 27 stitches per 4 inches.  Then those pesky edges curled so I am not even sure I am getting an accurate measurement.  I finally decided to wet them and let them dry so I can measure them flatter.  Hope you have a better time than I did.

Shanna

imalulu:

Here are my numbers and computations....

First my st gauge is 5.25 sts=1" and my row gauge is 6.5 sts=1"

I plan on having 88 sts on the needle at the underarm or 16.75 inches.  My underarm bind offs take away 8+8 sts, leaving 72 sts.

I am allowing 20 sts at the top of the sleeve cap, or 3.8 inches. (need to get rid of 52 sts)

To caculate side B...half of my sts after initial bind off is 36 divided by 5.25 = 6.857 minus half of my top of sleeve cap or 1.9" = 4.957 rounded to 5

To calculate side C...half of my armhole curve is 9.5" minus 1.9" = 7.6

To calculate side A...C squared is 57.76   minus  B squared is 24.57 = A squared  or 33.19   sqaure root is 5.76 x row gauge 6.5 = 37.44 or 38 rows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If all this is correct then I'll have to dec 52 sts in 38 rows.  I could match my main body underarm and dec 2 sts the first 2 rows leaving 48 sts to dec in 36 rows..... 

I'm a little foggy on how to do this since the guideline says to dec about half of necessary decs in the first half of sleeve cap (up to the middle).  So that would be, for me 26 sts in the first 19 rows.  So, if I take away 4 in the first 2 rows that leaves 22 sts to dec in 17 rows. 

And if I take away 3 sts in each of that last four rows before final bindoff....I guess that meand I'd have to take away 14 sts in the 15 rows that are from mid sleeve cap to those last 4 rows of 3 bindoffs each. 

Is this clear as mud.  Does it seem to be my correct mud???

Lynne aka imalulu

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Aug 23, 2011 2:36 PM

Is anyone else working on their sleeves?

Thank you so much, Shanna, for looking at my calculations and for your decreasing advise.  I'll be working on them. 

Lynne aka imalulu

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 31, 2011 9:54 AM

Hi Lynne,  I'm planning on sleeves, but not yet working on them.

robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Sep 7, 2011 12:17 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am almost done.  I just need to thread in about 12 more ends and block it.  My goal is Sunday but busy busy so we will see.  I thought I would pass this along.  You have probably seen Kathleen's email about a new craftsy class on plus size knitting.  I decided to purchase it because of the lure of shaping armholes and sleeve caps.  I was pretty impressed with it.  If you are still having trouble or want to see how someone else calculates these things I would recommend it.  If you sign up before September 11 then it is $29.99 instead of $59.99.  Have a great day.

Shanna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
Sewesie wrote
on Sep 17, 2011 11:08 AM

I've done my sleeves and thanks to all the advice on here, I found it quite easy and very enjoyable.  I'm really thrilled to have a new skill.  The youtube tutorial that someone recommended (sorry - my memore is typical of ME) was really helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Jo AnneL wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 1:29 PM

Hi Shanna,

Would it be possible for you to help me with my sleeve calculations.  I've been working on them for 2 days, and my brain has gone south.  I do have the article from Interweave Knits you mentioned, but am still confused.

I could e-mail you if you would like to exchange e-mails.  My e-mail is joaletempt@charter.net

Thank you for all your assistance to all of us working on sleeves.

Jo AnneL.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 7:43 PM

My email is oxid8@pivut.com.  What kind of sleeves are you doing ie. short, 3/4, long?  Tell me what you have done and what your stitch counts are etc.?  How did you shape your armholes?  I'll help if I can.

Shanna

Jo AnneL:

Hi Shanna,

Would it be possible for you to help me with my sleeve calculations.  I've been working on them for 2 days, and my brain has gone south.  I do have the article from Interweave Knits you mentioned, but am still confused.

I could e-mail you if you would like to exchange e-mails.  My e-mail is joaletempt@charter.net

Thank you for all your assistance to all of us working on sleeves.

Jo AnneL.

Page 5 of 5 (70 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5 | RSS