Need a little help on this pattern (Colorful Cropped Overlay)...

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
kasi1983 wrote
on Sep 2, 2011 4:01 AM

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't introduced myself before, but I might do this afterwards... (Been lurking quite some time...)

I'm not an experienced knitter, I have just begun, and didn't knit more than 2 pairs of socks and a scarf. The socks were a real challenge at the beginning... But I'm enjoying it and I'm now planning to make something that people can actually see. I have found this great pattern for this "Cropped Overlay".

It's in this document http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/39959.aspx on page 127

It's perfect: no complicated stitches or patterns, no fitting, just knitting and purling... What else could a beginner ask for!
But there are some details in the pattern missing - they are probably self-evident for an experienced knitter, but I'm just a beginner. I hope my questions won't sound too silly...
I'm not good at improvising, so I'm thinking through this pattern again and again in order to find and solve all problems I could maybe encounter... (Too much of an engineer, I'm sorry - it's hard to stop thinking like a software engineer when you are one...)

1) When changing from seed stitch to stockinette/reverse stockinette, should the 4 knit stitches at the beginning and at the end of every row be continued, or is it just necessary for the seed stitch? I would have guessed it should be continued, but I fear in this case it would have been mentioned. It's hard to see on the picture, because it's quite grainy and blurry when trying to zoom in (due to digitalization)

2) When decreasing for the neckline, should the decrease be done when working on the right or on the wrong side? Maybe it doesn't even matter, but I wanted to be sure.

3) Taking up the stitches for the neck gives me a headache... Where do I take the working thread from? Do I join in new yarn at this step? Or is it maybe the working thread of the shoulder that has not been sewn yet?
And where the hell do I take 58 stitches from? I mean: 9 from the holder + 19 from the back piece (89 - 2*35)... there are still 30 missing - do I really take up 15 stitches on both sides of the holder (I mean the biased parts of the neckline of the front piece)? 58 sounds a bit high anyway...

I hope you didn't laugh too much about this. These things really are problems to me...  Any help is appreciated. I'd love to become a 'real' knitter...

Thanks and knit happy :)
Kerstin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Sep 2, 2011 7:12 PM

Hi Kerstin,

About (1), you are right. You must continue the first four stitches and the last four in the same way you've been doing.

(2) When you are decreasing the neckline you have to work each side separately, it is expected to start the left side first (traditionally) and you make them on the right side (RS) and obviously, when you are working the right side you make them on the wrong side (WS). Some patterns ask you to use a new skein and make the decreases simultaneously, but it is up to you. I think as you are almost a newbie you should work them separately as long as you become more experienced.

(3) I've never taken in to consideration the number of stitches the patterns say in the instructions. You just  have to sew the right shoulder with any technique you know, take a new thread and leave a long tail of about 6", then take the new stitches from the right side of your garment at the top of the neckline picking every stitch from the center on the edge of the neckline, just imagine you are knitting a regular row, then take the stitches you have in the separated stitch holder, knit them and continue picking until you reach the last stitch on the back. Now you can knit your rib as the instructions say.

Don't worry. Everybody has had these same problems when we were once beginners. I have a friend who has been knitting since she was six, actually she is thirty two, and she is always asking me to cast on the neckline stitches for her. She is not confident on her skills.

I hope these tips help you to become a "real" knitter.

Enjoy your knitting.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
kasi1983 wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 1:57 AM

Thank you so much for this detailed answer :-)

Now that I read it, it seems obvious... I'm still a bit afraid of knitting the collar... But there's still plenty of time to get confident until I reach it *g*
Off to get some yarn...

Thanks again :)
Kerstin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS