Fabulous Projects completed lately?

This post has 876 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 9:33 PM

Here's my latest completed project that I was doing a serious happy dance over.  My first original lace work design.  Meet the Summer Lace Shawl.  After tearing it out 3 times before I got it the way I wanted, I finished it.  I currently have 2 more lace designs on the drawing board.  And I am currently finishing up a pillow that started as a way of relearning how to do Entrelac.    Oh, ignore the date and time stamp, had to change the card in the camera and forgot to turn that little function off. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 8:42 PM

Hi All!!  Here's what happens when you relearn a technique.  A pillow suddenly appears!  I was teaching myself to do Entrelac so that I could make the Reservoir Mitts in the shown in the Knit Scene Accessories 2012 Magazine that I just picked up.  When I get the mitts done I will post the pics of those.

Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 8:22 AM

very, very pretty! i love to knit lace, but as yet have not had the courage to try my own pattern. congrats to you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 12:27 PM

Hi Mary, 

I see from you lace pic the way it's laid out why it is called "horseshoe lace".  As I said earlier, it's just a lovely wrap.  And you made me chuckle, yes just voila! here's a pillow!  Now that is a pretty color combination too.  It looks like a rose pink and a lavender or grey on my monitor.  Will you keep it or give as a gift. 

Thanks for putting up the pics.  Have the fires died down yet? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 10:41 PM

For many years I put off knitting lace. I often felt intimidated by some of the charts I saw.  Then about 7 years ago, I dove in and started knitting it.  Yeah, I made a lot of mistakes and tore out a lot of projects and restarted them but I kept at it.  Pretty soon I realized there is a method to making lace just as there is with any other technique.  The shawl you see in the photo took 4 tries before I got the pattern laid out and working they way I wanted it.  There are 2 really good books available for knitting lace and making your own designs; Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush and Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby.  These are just 2 of my go to books when I need help with techniques.  Just remember, for every decrease, increase.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 10:51 PM

The pillow is mine.  It matches the comforter on my bed.  The picture makes it hard to see but the front is 2 shades of purple and the back and edge are dark purple.  I used the two different shades to help me remember which set of blocks I was doing.  Next up is the Anntrelac Socks featured in the 2007 Interweave Knits Gifts Magazine.  I need to learn how to do it in the round before I start on the girls' mitts for Christmas.

As for the fires, most are either out or under control.  There is only one large on still burning on the Northwest slope of Mt. Adams.  It is up to around 17,000 acres but it is headed toward the tree line and will hopefully be contained by that. They have it about 60% contained.  Even so, there has been a lot of air traffic in our area with lg planes and helicopters and the smoke has settled in pretty good around where I live, but we are no longer in danger from the fires.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 4:35 PM

Newest fabulous project finished.  Another pair of socks!!  These are the lace socks featured in Red Heart's booklet, Not Just Socks.  The booklet features a dozen or so projects using Red Heart's Heart and Sole sock yarn.  The color pattern of the yarn used for my socks is Watercolor Stripe.  I finished these last night.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 7:42 PM

Hi ZassZ, Yogama, WendyJ, and All,

I want to say hello to everybody. I've been out for a while, but I'm back again and very happy to share with you my needlework. I have some projects already on the go. I'll be posting the pics of them as soon as I finish. For a start this is a bolero made with a DK multicolour acrylic yarn, needles sizes 4 for the ribbing, and 6 for the stitch patterns. The cast on is a tubular 2/2 cast on. The 3/4 sleeves are knitted in the vertical lace trellis stitch pattern, and the fronts and back, the same vertical lace trellis with St st between trellis. The fronts and back were knitted together and joined at the shoulders with the three needle bind off technique. I finished it with a crocheted edging for the neck and both fronts. I hope you like it.

Send you all Hugs & Kisses,

Merlich.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 7:50 PM

Hi Mary,

Your pair of socks is gorgeous!! I like the yarn and the stitch pattern you chose for them. I've been trying to knit a pair too, but I always end knitting something else instead. What is your next project?

Enjoy your knitting!!!

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Grand-Kage wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 7:56 PM

Nice pair of socks.Would u mind sending me a copy of the pattern u used either though E mail or through this forum.I would love to try these lovely pair of socks.I've been knitting socks off and on for while and this would make a nice change from the standard ones i make.I need to know can i use my own type of yarn,because i know red heart yarn is great but it tends to wear out sooner than other types of yarns.

Just let me know the gauge and pattern,and i try them out.my yarn of choice is ''Caron One Pound'',but i'm open to new yarns.ok thanks in advance and great socks again they look so warm.PS:would some one please help me i'm trying to get the patterns for the scarf that they showcased on knittingdaily episode 409 creative scarf ideas.If some one would direct me or help me get the honeycomb brioche and the candlelight scarf pattern i would very much appreciate it.My email address is: ''Knittersden@yahoo.com''.''Grand_Kage''Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 11:55 PM

Dear Merlich,

Love the bolero!! Beautiful workmanship.

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 12:08 AM

Merlich, again,

The socks are a variation on the cathedral arch lace.  As I said, it is in a book  from Red Heart.  The yarn is Red Heart, Heart and Sole, a washable wool and nylon blend sock wt. yarn.  The socks were knitted on size 1 (2.25 mm) needles at a gauge of 9 stitches per inch.   The yarn can be found at just about any craft store or variety store.  You can also order it online at Herschnerrs or Mary Maxim.  I got the booklet as part of a kit I ordered from Mary Maxim for a knitted teddy bear made with Heart and Sole.  The booklet can be ordered separately from the Red Heart website or from most craft websites that carry knitting supplies and yarns. 

As for my next project, it is already on the needles and working away.  I am making the Stone Cut Hoodie  from the September 2010 issue of Creative Knitting.  I've made it before for my youngest daughter, but I decided to make one for myself this time.

Mary

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 12:26 AM

Dear Grand Kage,

I just posted the needle size and gauge.  I don't know how well this pattern would adapt to worsted wt. yarn.  The lace pattern is done over a multiple of 10 stitches.  When I made the socks, I worked 70 stitches over 3 needles.  It is also a 14 row repeat done in the round. 

As for the Red Heart sock yarn, it wears like iron.  I have several pairs of socks that are at least 5 years old and still holding up well.  I live in my hand knit socks year around, and often wear them around the house like slippers. 

If you haven't worked with sock wt. yarn and small needles (sizes 0 to 2 or 3), then I recommend that you try just a basic sock pattern in a sock wt yarn until you get the feel for it.  This lace pattern can be a bit frustrating, even for an experienced knitter, since in several rows, the yarn over falls at the end of the stitches on the needle.  Also, if you do the magic loop method for making socks, I am not sure that this pattern would adapt.  You would have to experiment with it. 

If you are not sure about using Red Heart sock yarn there are a multitude of yarn companies out there that make wonderful superwash wool and wool blend sock wt.  Some of the others that I have used for different projects are Deborah Norville's Serenity Sock yarn, Patons Kroy and Kroy FX,  Knit Picks, Felici and Stroll.  These are just a few of the many available. 

I hope this helps.

Mary

Ravenwood Designs

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 1:00 PM

Hi ZassZ,

I was reading all around our thread since the time I stopped posting and wanted to be updated on all the beautiful things I missed. I found on page 29 the pic of this wonderful vest you've made. 

I love it!!!! I am sure every time you wear it, you receive lots of compliments from everybody. What happened to your chevron skirt? Are you done? Or, do you have it already on the go? I also saw the pic of your grey crochet shawl. It is beautiful. It looks warm and cosy. It will be very useful for the next cold season. Very beautiful. I know about the tunic from TSC. I also have that pattern. I would like to knit it for me too, but I do not know what kind of yarn to choose. Here, where I live, we don't have access to TSC yarns. The cotton yarns I've bought, tend to stretch too much, despite they are from very good quality and very expensive too. That's the main reason I haven't tried it yet. It is not worth to expend a lot of money and effort on something won't last. I have news from my dog. He is well now of his eyes, but now he is ill from the stomach. Maybe it is the ageing. He is more vulnerable to illness. Sniff! But don't worry, he is under medical treatment. He'll be well soon. I'll let you know.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, XOXOXOXO,

Merlich

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 1:16 PM

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply. And, also wanted to thank you for all the info you gave me about your socks. As you can see, you have followers. They are really beautiful. I think your hoodie will be very beautiful too. Take your time to knit it, enjoy it!!

Happy day!!!!!!!!

Page 33 of 59 (877 items) « First ...  < Previous  31 32 33 34 35  Next >  ... Last » | RSS