Fabulous Projects completed lately?

This post has 877 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Dec 6, 2012 8:28 PM

Hi Everybody!

Askhouse01: Your baby bolero is so beautiful. Congratulations!  I love the colour blue and the embroidery enhances it. You are very creative.

Marywoods: Your ducks are so charming. It doesn't matter if they are crocheted. Nice pic! (In the memory of your dog). And your daugther's boyfriend accesories are very beautiful too. I like very much the yarn you chose.

ZassZ: Your black shawl is astonishing!! It must have been difficult for you to knit it, besides of the eyelets because of the colour. Black is a very difficult colour to knit with. It is hard to see. And your hat is very original. I'd never seen any other like yours. I love it  and the colour too. I've knited a scarf and a hat in ivory. There is just missing the fingerless gloves to pic them together and post it here.

Yogama: How are you? I hope you are better now. Are you done with your socks or are you already on the go? I hope you are enjoying your knitting.

Grand Kage: You are missing! What happened with all the garments you told us you were knitting for your Christmas tree and the doilies? I hope you are doing ok! And the sweater for your doc!

Send you all my love!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 6, 2012 9:32 PM

Hi Merlich,

Yes it was hard on my eyes.  The beading doesn't really show up but it was done in black beads as well.  I am happy with it and am giving to my future d-i-l.  The hat in yellow looks big in the pic (but is not that big), it is the one I was telling you about for the neighbor friend's daughter's new baby.  It is my own pattern that I made up as I went along.  The top part is crochet and gathered to make the ruffle, the rest of the hat is knitted.  Now I have another new baby to make something for.  My other nwighbor just told me today that her daughter is coming to visit and bringing her new baby daughter.  Her children grew up with mine, so I want to give her something to take back home with her for her baby.  Her husband can't make the trip with her, so we won't get to meet him yet.  But it will be good to see her daughter again.  She is a good nurse.  Love, too

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 7, 2012 2:51 PM

Hi everyone! 

Thank-you Merlich, the ducks are one of my favorite baby things to make and they are also part of ongoing projects known as Mary's Duck Pond.  I have done Nurse duckies, Vampire duckies, Dart duckies and several other special order ones for friends and family.  The Dart duckies were a donated prize for a fund-raising dart tournament we help organize many years ago.  As for the picture of JD on the wall, my oldest daughter drew that for me after we lost JD to Parvo virus.  It was a particularly vicious strain that went right through her vaccines.  She was just a little over a year old.

As for the colors for Will's hat and gloves, well I asked him what colors he liked and that was the closest I could come.  I love the colorways that Red Heart has available in their Heart and Sole line of sock yarn.  It's also very durable.  Which is a plus for the kids.  Kids? Will is 21 and Angel is 20.  So technically they are no longer kids.

ZassZ,  I love the shawl!!! Wow!!  I have to ask, is the design your own or did you use a published pattern.  If it is a published pattern, where can I find it? It is absolutely gorgeous.  The hat and cowl are quite beautiful as well.  I read your notes about them.  Spoken like a true knitter.  No matter how many times we make something, we always find ways to modify it or change it to suit ourselves. 

I am currently working on the Reservoir Mitts for the girls.  I have the backs done for both pairs and now I am doing the palms and fingers.  I'm still not too sure about this pattern.  I'll let you know how it goes..

Mary,

Ravenwood Designs.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Dec 14, 2012 10:55 AM

Mary - that is a beautiful set. I agree with ZassZ that it looks like a guy. I'm sure he will appreciate that his girlfriend's mom has a high enough opinion of him to knit him a gift! Angel

ZassZ - gorgeous black shawl! The colour choice gives it a dramatic edge, and also makes it pretty versatile.

@ Both of the above - Is it just me, or do knitters make excellent mothers-of-the-significant-other??

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 2:38 PM

To askhouse10,

Thank-you.  As for Will, my daughter's boyfriend, he is a really great young man who treats her with love and respect so it wasn't hard to make something for him.  Hats and gloves go up quick and they always make a welcome gift in this neighborhood.  Especially with the winters we have around here.  In fact, I got up this morning and during the night mother nature had decided to flock my world.  There was about an inch of snow on everything and it was a bit chilly when I let the dogs out. Fortunately, there was a few coals in the woodstove so it didn't take long to get a fire going and warm up the house.  That and a pot of coffee and my day was off to a good start.

I am still working on the Reservoir Mitts for the girls.  I have one set done and the other almost finished.  I am still not sure I like this pattern.  They haven't turned out as well as I would have liked.  I have tweaked them a little, but with the design there isn't much tweaking you can do.  After the holidays, I am going to sit down and completely rewrite the pattern.  I like the concept, but there has to be a better way to do.

Mary,

Ravenwood Designs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 5:51 PM

Hi askhouse01,

Thanks for positive thoughts on the black shawl.  You were thinking on the same track I was on when deciding to do it in black.  For the evening, a little bit of drama!  I do think it's a good asset, we can always be making, designing our next gifts to give from our big hearts Right Hug

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 6:37 PM

Hi Mary,

I'll be happy to direct you to the pattern for shawl.  I got it from Knitting On The Net.  Lace Triange Shawl by Gail Tanquary.  Hope you can pull it up.  Let me know, if you can find it.  I'm glad it's done but a little hard on the eyes although I enjoyed the pattern alot.   Thank you for your comments too!  So glad you liked it. It is nice to feel our work is appreciated by other knitters as well. 

I am wondering where is the pattern or a pic of Reservoir Mitt?  Just curius what they look like.  Also what is it that you don't like about them - the yarn your using or the pattern? 

I re-worked my cowl over.  I'll put the pic up in a minute. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 6:54 PM

Hi All, 

Well as I was telling Merlich, I got this done yesterday.  I think I'll leave it now.  I like this one a bit better than the first way. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 10:18 PM

Dear ZassZ,

Like the cowl.  Pretty lace work.  Thanks for the info on the pattern.  I'll just google it and probably won't have much problem finding it. 

As for the Reservoir Mitts, the pattern is in Knit Scene Accessories 2012 issue from Interweave.  I like doing Entrelac, but the way these gloves are done is a bit awkward for me. The tops are done separately in Entrelac and then the palms and wrists are picked up an knitted onto the tops.  They are then sewn together leaving an opening for the thumb.  At that point you pick up the stitches for the fingers and thumb and work them as you would regular gloves.  One minor detail, no thumb gusset so the fit is a little awkward.  I think they would work better for me if I could work them in the round like I normally do for my gloves and mittens.  This would allow me to make a thumb gusset and the fit would be much better.  I have 1 pr. completed and the 2cd pr. is nearly done.  I think after the holidays are done and I can take some time to study the pattern, I could probably figure out how to rework it so that it can be done in the round.  I just ordered the DVD;  Entrelac Basics and Beyond with Eunny Jang.  Hopefully she will demonstrate how to do Entrelac in the round.  If so, then maybe I will tackle the Annetrelac Socks that I have the pattern for.  I really like the socks but getting them started has me stumped!

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Dec 15, 2012 3:25 AM

Mary - There is a free ebook on knittingdaily in which Eunny Jang instructs in entrelac both flat and in the round. This might help.

Also, I see what you mean about the lack of thumb gussets causing an awkward fit - maybe once you have learned how to work entrelac in the round, you will be able to insert a thumb gusset and do the mitts all in one piece, instead of all that laborious picking up and seaming. Mitts are such easy little items, it seems unnecessary to complicate a pattern like that.

{Side note: if anyone is interested in the tutorial and a free entrelac scarf pattern, they are here.}

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 3:43 PM

Dear askhouse01,

Thanks for the info.  I already have the article and patterns.  And I ordered the DVD with Eunny Jang, it should be here next week.  I am going to rework the pattern to do them in the round once I get that little trick figured out.  When I get the other mitt done, I will post pics of them.  I should have them finished today and on the blocking boards. 

Mary

Ravenwood Designs

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 4:24 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Your shawl is so elegant and feminine. I think the beads enhance the beauty of it despite I can't notice them in the pic you posted. I imagine they give it a sparkle to the eyes tough their are black too. When your f.d.i.l. receives it, I am sure she will feel loved by you. The yellow hat is so beautiful and your pattern is so creative. I like it very much. I'll take it into consideration the next time someone asks me to knit a hat for a baby. Wink

I am happy you have so beautiful relationship with your neighbours. You care about them so much. I am happy to be your friend too. Don't forget to take a pic of the hats you are giving to thier granchildren.

Your cowl is spectacular. Now, I know why you wanted to make it over. Anyway, the other  was also beautiful. And you added a cord and the lace on both sides. Thank you for posting it again.

Send you lots of XOXOXO!!!

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 5:15 PM

Hi Mary,

Thank you for sharing JD's story. What a pity that happened to her. You were protecting her from any disease and that happened.

About your daughter's boyfriend and his gloves. I like them very much. I wanted to ask you how you make to not having that horrible holes that form between the fingers. I can't figure out how to solve that issue. I love the hat too. Our kids will be always kids for us. We love them and call them babies or kids tough they are older.Big Smile

About your entrelac project. You can use the technique you already know. The designer gives us her point of view but, if yours is better, put the designer's aside and just use it as a pattern reference. There is a book: 'Entrelac. The Essencial Guide to Interlace Knitting' by Rosemary Drysdale. In this book there is a chapter: "Entrelac in the round" with detailed pictures demonstrating the technique and another chapter with a swatch glossary ; and at Drops Design's site: http://garnstudio.com/lang/us/search.php, four patterns that might give you more ideas.

Enjoy your knitting!!

Merlich.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 12:13 PM

Dear Merlich,

Thanks.  As for the glove issue.  Here's the trick, when you join the yarn for each finger, leave a tail of about 4 to 6 inches.  When you are finishing the gloves, use a stitch similar to the Kitchener stitch and close the gaps between the fingers.  If you have Ann Budd's A Knitter's Handy Guide to Patterns, she shows how to stitch the gaps closed.  The first few times you do it, it may look a little clunky or awkward, but after a while you'll get it down. 

Thanks for the info on the book.  I'll look it up on Amazon.  As I said earlier, I did order the DVD with Eunny Jang on Entrelac.  As soon as I can get out of my driveway and down to the post office, I should have it.  Mother Nature decided to dump on us and I am sitting under nearly a foot of snow since yesterday.  Yuck!

Mary

Ravenwood Designs

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 1:30 PM

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your directions. That is the way I use to join the tails to close the gaps. I think I should have more practice and patience.

I am sure you''ll learn the Entrelac Technique with Eunny Jang very easy. I've learnt a lot of things from her too.

I wish you to be ok despite the snow.

Enjoy your knitting!!!

Merlich

Page 39 of 59 (878 items) « First ...  < Previous  37 38 39 40 41  Next >  ... Last » | RSS