Fabulous Projects completed lately?

This post has 880 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 11:11 PM

Hi Mary, 

Now I know why your hats look so familiar to me.  I was reaching back in my mind but at first I couldn't recall where I had seen this hat before.  Turns out that I had also knit it for my grandson in blue.  It has the Bobbles but I remember a funny little border that required some type of wraping of two stitches and then knit and then wrap, etc.  Anyway I didn't do the edge.  It looks like you didn't do that edge either?  Do you recall what I am talking about in those directions?  I think I decided not to do that edge because it was feeling awkward for me at the time.  Here's the pic.  You can't see the bobbles in this view very well though.  I also did the booties at a different time, using a D. Norville sock yarn in variegated blues, purples and golds but I didn't take a pic of them.  Does that mean I can knit a sock?  I don't know if the bootie counts as an actual little sock.

I used the Caron simply soft for this one.  Well how is your knitting coming along and how do you like your new yarn? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 12:58 PM

Hi ZassZ,

You are right about the pattern.  It does have that annoying wrap stitch.  I did the stitches, but with the variegated yarn it is difficult to see.  The pattern I used is from the August 2010 issue of Knit-in-Style.  I suppose you could count little booties as a type of sock.  It does go on the foot after all.  As for knitting socks, they aren't that difficult if you break them down into their individual components, cuff, leg, heel, foot gusset, foot and toe.  I bet once you actually try a pair you will be hooked.  Especially with all the cool self striping sock yarn that is available out there.  Socks are one of my favorite take along projects as well as a quick gift for friends and family.  

I haven't picked up the yarn yet.  Been a bit lazy the last few days.  I am working on an oversized scarf for my daughter who turns 21 on Tuesday.  I was going to do the Cochin Shrug but doing entrelac in the round is going to take some practice and concentration and right now I want something quick simple and easy before I dive into the wedding shawl. And she is a real scarf person.  I will probably copy the pattern for her and give it to her along with her scarf.  She is a knitter too and scarves are one of the things she likes to knit, along with fingerless gloves and wristers.  When ever I get new patterns, I make copies for her.  It's fun to share patterns and ideas with her and her sister who are both very creative. 

The scarf I'm making is on the cover of the Winter 2011 issue of Knit Simple.  And on that note, back to the needles!

Mary

Ravenwood Designs

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 6:36 PM

Okay everybody,

It's Christmas in  February!! It's finally here!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 7:48 PM

Hi Mary,

Wow!! Your yarn is so beautiful! It looks soft and shiny.

Congratulations for your Christmas in February!! Wink

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 10:58 PM

Hi Merlich,

The cream colored is the one for the shawl and gloves and the seafoam green is for the mother of the bride's sweater set.  I worked up the sample swatch for the sweater set with the CotLin, and it was so soft.  Working with it is going to be a treat for my hands.  I'll be taking the swatch to town with me so I can pick up the buttons for the cardigan.

Mary

Ravenwood Designs

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 1:06 PM

Hi Mary,

Both yarns are lovely. I am sure they will be a treat for your hands. Congratulations!! I wish you get fabulous buttons for the cardigan, they will enhance a lot your beautiful knitting!

Have a Happy Valentine's Day!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 11:09 PM

Hi Mary, 

That's a good way to describe that stitch, as you said, annoying.  I wish I would have thought of that.  It was during my trip to my library that I saw that issue of the Knit-N-Style mag and checked it out for awhile.  At the time I needed a baby hat pattern so I chose it but have since returned the magazine.  So not having the pattern in front of me now, but I was not able to make the stitch look right.  Do you have a tip for executing that stitch?  I would love to know what it is if you do care to share it.  As for the socks, it seems I never get to one.  As soon as I finish one project it's on to the next, sweater, wrap, hat, skirt, fingerless gloves, etc.  I am just going to have to put them into my repertoire soon. 

I wasn't sure if your yarn was blue or green but since you said Seafoam now I can see the green it and it is very pretty.  Did you get your button(s)?   I love buttons and sometimes can't resist buying them just because I like the color, shape, or size of them.  Hope you had fun selecting yours.  Have a good eve. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 10:13 AM

Dear ZassZ,

In answer to your question, the wrap stitch isn't that difficult once you get used to it.  Here's the trick, hold the yarn in front of your work, slip the two stitches to be wrapped from the left needle to the right needle, move the yarn to the back, wrapping the two stitches you just moved.  Move those two stitches back the the left needle and knit each stitch.  Annoying but it works.  If you would like, check my profile, I believe my email is in there.  Email me your name and address and I will be glad to send you a copy of the pattern, since I have the magazine. 

As for the buttons, I haven't looked yet.  I am going to Portland OR.  with my daughter and her future mother-in-law to get silk flowers for the wedding.  I am taking a sample swatch of the CotLIn with me to match buttons to and a hank of the Gloss to match the seed pearls and buttons to for her gloves.  She liked the idea of buttons down the side and seed pearls knitted into the cuff and hand edge of the gloves.  So I will be trying something new.  I've crocheted pearls into projects but never knitted them.  This should be fun. 

Mary

Ravenwood Design

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
JanetM@12 wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 4:07 PM

If you don't mind another idea and someone else chiming in, use a short DP needle or even a toothpick to slide the couple stitches onto.  Wrap the yarn around the sts as many times as required, then slip  the sts back onto you working needle.  I'm always looking for ways to make my knitting easier and am always willing to share what I've learned.

Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 9:55 PM

Hi Mary,

Thanks.  I'll do a little practice sample so that when the next time I do a hat from this pattern it won't be so tedious for me.  I appreciate your helpfulness as always, Mary.  I will also check your profile after I do a few things here. 

I like to be organized too, making sure I have all the necessary numbers, dimensions, sample colors, etc. so that is good.  Makes your trip so less stress when you have all the info at your fingertips.  The gloves sound so pretty with the seed pearls on the cuff.  We'll really be looking for those pics!  Yes  Thanks again and have a great evening. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 10:03 PM

Dear Janet,

Oh absolutely do not mind.  In fact, thank you for helping out on this.  A very good suggestion, I can see where it could save a little of my energy too. 

Would you mind my asking what are you working on, or if not on a project now, what do you enjoy knitting especially? 

I am glad you connected here too!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 11:05 PM

Dear Janet,

It's always great to get ideas from another knitter.  I never thought about slipping them to a separate needle like you would if you were doing a cable stitch.  I'll have to remember that, thanks!  That is a cool idea!  That's the one thing I love about the knitting community here is the fun stories and the sharing and helping among our large family.  Hope to hear more from you and look forward to seeing some of your fabulous projects posted here.

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
JanetM@12 wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 7:38 AM

Hi, new friends!

I usually have about a dozen different projects going at once.  The ones I'm concentrating on at the moment are a lacy pink baby sweater for a dear friend's daughter, a pair of gloves in sock-weight yarn, and have just started a "stained glass" afghan for my cousin's upcoming wedding.  I've knit for about 50 years or so and have tried almost everything under the sun.  Even knit sweatpants for my daughter when she was in high school.  If I don't have needles working in my hands, something is wrong with me.  If I'm sitting, I'm knitting.  Love to read here about projects that everyone else has done.  I have internet access only through my work and won't be able to post photos.  Thanks for your warm welcome to my post!

Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 3:21 PM

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your post. Nice projects you have going on. I was wondering what colors you chose for the stained glass afghan. That one really got my attention, it is a real visual. So glad you could keep up your knitting for all this time and we can benefit from your expertise. Phooey about the work computer (no photos) but at least we can have your company here and we can use our imaginations re your projects.

I tend to try and finish before I start another; the important thing is to enjoy our knitting however we do it. So glad you’re here to share. Idea

Hope your day is going the way you wish it to.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 12:16 AM

Hi Janet,

Welcome to Fabulous Projects! When I read your explanation about the stitch pattern about passing the stitches to a dp needle I remember having done that stitch. I've done it like a rib then do what you said and alternate every four rows. At last, it looks like a variation of the honeycomb sitich.

I also have many projects on the go at the same time. For me is ok, but for the recipients, it is annoying. They want they garmwnts at once they see me start with them.

It is a pity you can't post pics. Maybe if you used an USB. That way you access the pic from it and it doesn't stay in the computer of your work!!  Idea

We all have very good imagination, like ZassZ says, but it is very nice to see what everybody has finished.

I hope you like to participe here with all of us. We all are very good friends!!!

Enjoy your knitting!!

Merlich

Page 46 of 59 (881 items) « First ...  < Previous  44 45 46 47 48  Next >  ... Last » | RSS