Fabulous Projects completed lately?

This post has 876 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
lhalfcent wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 8:01 AM

Beautiful! 

I been working on a shawl for my mom . I spun the yarn from a fleece i bought last year and it is coming out nice. Basic pattern as it is Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi shawl. on the last increase section and then will edge it in a simple sawtooth lace edging.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 9:59 PM

hi 1halfcent, 

Thanks for sharing your shawl in progress.  It's coming along nicely!  Does look nice and soft.  I remembered reading about the yarn you spun for your Lapis Yoke Pullover.  I was following your description of what you noticed about the sleeve and the narrow strip above the ribbing.  I actually think it looks like an interesting character of the wool and makes your sweater really original.  Just my opinion, but your sweater turned out beautifully. 

But back to your pi shawl.  I was wondering if you usually buy a fleece and then spin your own yarn?  Where do you get your feeces from?  Anywhere in particular?  I did a Zimmerman Shell Hat last fall and put a pic up over either on Hats Crazy or this thread.  It's in a green wool.  Do you ever check out this site for E. or M. Zimmerman patterns?  http://www.schoolhousepress.com/kits.htm  There's the link if you want to check out. 

I am nearly done with my project of pictures above.  Thanks. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
lhalfcent wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 10:33 PM

Hi ZassZ

thank you! 

I look for local sheep farmers and sometimes I find raw fleece listings near me on craigslist. I recently joined our Textile guild and they have various sheep and other fleeces for sale also from local people. When i started spinning only a couple years ago and found I love it and love making my own yarns, i decided that i would try a sample of every kind of fiber i could get my hands on. So i have gone online to like the woolery or paradise fibers to find various fibers to spin. it is easy to find like 4oz of say cashmere for only 6bucks or so, so it doesn't break the pocketbook. sometimes the people I meet will introduce me to some fiber i have never tried or seen before and get samples to take home and mess with. fun. Those yarns usually end up  in socks or something. lol

I have spun cashmere, various wools like polypay, merino, blue liecester, longwool, ramboulait, (my spelling may not be right lol) camel down, yak, angora and more. I found some bamboo recently that i have blended with other wools and it gives such a nice sheen and interesting body. Even gone so far to try to spin a silk hankie and spin from a cocoon. lol not much luck but glad i tried. lol 

I have also learned to blend with my drum carder so really the sky is the limit. 

I have also determined to learn different ways to spin on hand spindles including russian spindle which is really addicting! lol I do have a Kromski Mintrel wheel which is my first and love it so much. 

as for EZ i have all her books. And yes i have visited schoolhouse press. I love her approach to knitting which is practical and again sky is the limit. So when i have a project in mind or have a particular fleece to work with I just make sure i have the right gauge and i am on my way.

but what i like most is to see what people are doing as it inspires me. your latest project makes me think of creating a sweater with that pattern. something drapey. But i will post the shawl when done. still trying to decide on the edging if I should do a sawtooth or more scallopy one. hmmmm

blessings

Laura

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 11:32 PM

Hi Laura, 

That is so interesting!  I wonder if I could find some local sheep farmer here in CA?  I see where this seems to be very economical.  Going to read your post over to really get the sense of it.  I think I need to learn more about the different hand spindles you mention.  Although my former neighbor has a daughter who raises llamas.  She did give me a little kit years ago with a spindle(-I think) along with some fleece.  She was going to get me started and you know the rest of the story.  Although I didn't at the time, I am still fascinated and curious and wonder what it would be like to actually spin my own fleece.  I guess I said that correctly.  If not, please correct me.   I believe the little kit is put away somewhere. 

If you like the chevron pattern I will be happy to give you more details but I think you probably already are familiar with it?  There are a couple of different types of chevrons.  I'll look forward to seeing your finished shawl.  Is the Picot Bind off too small for this?  http://knitting.about.com/od/learntoknit/ss/picot-bindoff.htm   You may want something a little more dramatic.  I could see the scallop since the shawl is rounded? 

Thank you too enjoyed our "conversation".  Have a beautiful day. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
lhalfcent wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 9:25 AM

If you have a local Textile guild you can find local resources for fleeces. There is a sheep farm in CA that raises Cormo i think it is called.

very soft nice wool. Another thing to consider is when you buy a fleece from a farmer make sure it is clean. You will have to wash it so think how many pounds you may want. for example, I bought 40lbs of fleeces last year in 4 different kinds of sheep wool. long locks and short ones.

I have enough wool to last me a while! lol But this year I bought two Jacob lamb fleeces for a total poundage of 10lbs. very clean and soft. 

I have been doing production spinning for myself so i am able to finish projects when i start. unlike doing the shawl lol i didn't spin enough but learned to do that now for future projects. You might want to just find samples of various fibers to work with to find what wool you like best. 

You can get pretty fast with a hand spindle if you practice a bit daily. before you know it you have like 3-4 ozs of wool to knit with. :)

i hope this helps.

blessings

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:31 PM

1halfcent, 

thank you for this info.  I will check into a local Textile Guild as you suggest.  now a question, when you mention:

lhalfcent:
Another thing to consider is when you buy a fleece from a farmer make sure it is clean. You will have to wash it so think how many pounds you may want.       I bought two Jacob lamb fleeces for a total poundage of 10lbs. very clean and soft. 

How do I make sure it is clean, just by sight and/or smell; or do I have to ask that it is washed?  Also, do I have to wash it again and if it I have to wash the fleece again when I get it home, does it alter the weight of what I purchased?  Sorry but this is all new.  Appreciate your expertise. 

Yes your info is helping. Thank you a lot!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
lhalfcent wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:40 PM

Hi ZassZ

you will know if it is filthy. it will be full of lots of vegetable matter and maybe even ***. yuck. I have been there and done that!

A good sheep farmer will skirt his fleeces well so basically all you need to do is wash the lanolin out then comb or drumcard the fiber. And you might get lucky and find someone who also covers his sheep to minimize the dirt. 

Have you checked out the sister site here of spinning daily? they have a free E-book on how to process wool. here is the link: http://www.spinningdaily.com/processing-wool/

After washing you will lose about 40% I think of the weight. Not sure on that but close. lol

cuz lanolin makes it heavy. some fleeces have little lanolin such as Jacob. if you want to get a clean fleece you can ask the farmer for a washed fleece that all you have to do is comb and prepare for spinning.  Warning! it is addicting! lol especially when you start knitting with your own handspun yarn. you start seeing blending possibilities everywhere! lol 

I hope you do try this it is very rewarding. 

blessings

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Jaden Shadow wrote
on Jul 2, 2012 6:41 PM

I just finished the first of 4 sets of winter gear for my necies and nephews! The hat came out so cute! I ended up having to make 2 because I made the first one to small Crying

Knitting is Theropy

Not Ranked
Posts 6
teonaaa3 wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 7:26 AM

Hi here,

I have just finished knitting my sons suite, I've been knitting it for 4 months  (yeah, shamed Smile ). I'm new in knitting although I have a huge experience in crocheting, one day decided to learn knitting, too. It was really EXCELLENT feeling, especially to finish winter suite in July Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 10:30 AM

Hi Jaden,

Congratulations on finishing your first set.  Would love to see pictures if you could put some up here for us to look Smile  Especially love to see your hat! either here or in Hats Crazy thread under Knitting Chat.  http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/t/5563.aspx?PageIndex=36  Thanks for sharing. Oh yes, so what did you do with the first too small hat?  Did you unravel and use the yarn or keep it for a doll hat maybe?

I am excited to begin my new baby dress project that I was trying to decide which pattern to pick out of the 5 I listed above. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 10:32 AM

Hi teonaaa3,

Glad you are sharing your expertise here with us.  Yeah!  Another "EXCELLENT" feeling going around upon finishing a project!

Can you also share some pictures here with us? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 10:40 AM

Hi Laura (1halfcent), 

Thank you for answering and filling in all the questions I had.  Now I am absorbing what I am reading over there.  Good idea to start with samples of different fiber and see what pleases and then branch out. 

I like the look of the long locks.  Do you know if there is any advantage of one versus the other?   

How is your shawl coming along? 

Yes, very helpful all of your information.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 5:29 PM

Hi and Sharon, 

Went down to my lys and had a nice visit with the shop owner and his staff + one more lady knitter.  Brought my info so I could get the right yarn for my baby dress project.  Did that - yeah! and also picked out the shade I want for the pink sweater I told you about in the mag.  Only now it may not be pink!  I think I'll use Tahki in a mercerized cotton yarn.  Nice, cool knittng for summertime.  So what are you up to? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 10:33 AM

hey

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 10:38 AM

hey zass,

well that was odd. as you can see from above, i started typing and then somethng froze and i had to start over. oh well. seems to be working now.

so, what color did you end up getting for your baby dress? and you are doing something in pink for yourself? i love tahki cotton. both the dk and worsted weights. i have decided i really like working with cotton, and not wool.

i'm still working on my lacy shawl. its coming along beautifully and not a hard pattern at all. which is nice. some lace you drive yourself crazy concentrating on it. you have to hide yourself away and not talk to anyone at all! i am on the edging part now, and you knit on a pointy edge as you bind off. fun and now i can see what it will look like off the needles. sort of, its always hard to tell before you block. i actually have to go to the lys myself today. i have a sz 6 circular in metal, which i normally love because the stitches slip off so easily and smoothly. in this case, wood is better since it tends to grab the stitch and not let it slide off so quickly. so, always an excuse to add to your collection right?

hope you are having a nice day, and stay cool. hot and humid here today. probably heading to the beach later this afternoon! xox

Page 30 of 59 (877 items) « First ...  < Previous  28 29 30 31 32  Next >  ... Last » | RSS