Patterns, Directions, and/or tips for truly left-handed knitters

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Jade61 wrote
on Sep 10, 2011 3:41 PM

I get it.  It's a right-handed world.  But many of us are not right-handed (or left-brained) and we cannot force our brains to translate right-handed instructions into left-handed actions.  Does anyone know of any resource(s) to help with this?  Is there a "site" devoted to left-handed patterns?  Most simple patterns are easy to adjust to left-handed.  The simplest don't need adjusting.  Scarves, for example, knit the same.  Prayer shawls, for the most part, as well.  But when it comes to cardigans, the right and left front pieces must be adjusted, especially if button holes are involved.  Or in the case of Monograms, intricate designs that have specific directional orientation.  Please, if you know of any "place" that offers this kind of help, let me/us know.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 10, 2011 4:59 PM

Google is a wonderful world in which to find information.  Since knitting involves both sides of the brain, it is a no brainer for a left-handed person to learn to knit the way most everyone else knits.  It is all practice, practice, practice to get the knit stitch and purl stitch correctly done to get an even tension.  It is for the reason that knitting requires the use of both sides of the brain, that knitting patterns are written for the "right-handed" person.  I have never seen any "left-handed" knitting patterns. 

When you investigate most "left-handed" knitting sites, it usually refers to the fact that the  yarn is held in the left hand and this is called continental knitting.  For the "right-handed" knitting, it refers to the yarn being held in the right hand and is refered to as English knitting.

How long have you been knitting and who taught you to knit?  Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Mrs.Ko wrote
on Feb 17, 2012 10:07 PM

I'm a left handed knitter and crocheter and although knitting "involves both sides of the brain" the smooth and quick motion doesn't always translate well for left handers even after a bit of practice. 

I learned how to knit right handed and repeated the motion until I could translate it to left handed. I am MUCH faster as a lefty than a righty any day. I encourage anyone to switch from their dominant hand just to see how truly unnatural it feels.

What I'm truly trying to find out is how to properly work decreases that look divine. I heard a rumor I should work the opposite increase or decrease (left leaning or right leaning etc) but I haven't quite figured that out yet. What I am sure of is that when I'm making gloves and it says I'm making a right handed glove it's really the left hand. Weird eh?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
canner wrote
on Feb 18, 2012 2:01 PM

I am left handed but my mother who was ambidextrous taught me to knit right handed.  However I still have trouble with patterns especially with decreases and increases, picking up stitches at necklines etc.  The brain just takes over!!!!  I find I need to think through each row when I am having difficulties and work it out stitch by stitch.  I prefer to use patterns where each row is written out in detail.  Following a chart can be difficult if I don't pay close attention.  It is great to find other lefties who have similar problems and that I am not just being weird.  My husband is used to my driving directions where i tell him to turn left when we should be turning right.  Thank goodness for GPS systems.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS