extra stitches

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Joule8111 wrote
on Nov 28, 2011 5:38 PM

I am a beginner. I understand most of the instructions to knit and purl, but I wind up with one or two extra stitches. Please help

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 4:56 AM

The most common sources of extra sts are making 2sts out of one at the beginning of the row and draping the yarn over the needle when you switch from knit to purl or vice versa. For the first, be sure to pull the yarn down and to the back to start the row and not up. Pulling the yarn up over the needle makes that first st look like 2 and if you knit into each one, you'll increase a stitch. For the accidental yarn over, remember to bring the yarn between the needles not over the needle when you're switching from knit to purl or purl to knit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 2:15 PM

After you cast on, are you making sure to count your stitches "accurately".  No matter how precisely you knit or purl, if you count is off, so will be the following rows.  So it is very important to make double sure you count those first cast on stitches for the correct number you need.  Also do so in good light because it is very easy with some yarns to mistake one stitch for two and it will throw your count off.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS