I've got an idea in my head and I need to know how to put it on my needles. I have some funky homespun I made with this idea in mind which knits up lovely on 6mm needles and I want to make a sleeveless or cap sleeve vest/cardi/jacket which has a chunky ribbed yoke and 1 or 2 buttons that will do up around the neck/chest and a nice A line swing. I have trawled the net and many craft shops for patterns to no avail. I've got 2 sewing patterns that I have tinkered with to get a similar shape to what i want to use. Is it possible to use the shape of the sewing pattern and an accurate tension square to make this idea possible and how or should I just have a crack and hope for as little disappointment as possible? This is the first time I've tried to deviate from "The Pattern" and it feels a little overwhelming!
I have been struggling this summer with the same thing! I have a boxy tank top that I want to knit as an A-line. sounds simple, doesn't it, but I have knit and unraveled the thing three times now. Your idea of sewing patterns is a good one. I remember reading an article in Threads magazine about knitting a jacket based on a sewing pattern. The knitted jacket peices were shaped like the sewing pattern pieces. It all comes down to math. The number of stitches /inch and rows /inch. I drew on paper the actual size and shape I wanted my tank to be, and measured it from shoulder to bottom edge, across where the armhole shaping starts, and the width of the bottom edge. Next I calculated how many stitches or rows I needed for each measurement, using my gauge swatch. To get the A-line shape I want, I need to decrease "x"number of stitches over "y"number of rows. I'm now knitting according to my "Pattern piece" and checking periodically by placing my knitting on my paper tank top. If this doesn't work, I'm giving up!
So how are you going now? Is it working? I've drawn up the paper pattern and knitted the tension square. I haven't had time to fiddle around just yet, have set aside 2 hours tomorrow to start trying! looking forward to it,
You are most welcome!
It's working! I finished the back and it matches my paper pattern exactly. I had a bad moment when I thought "I'm not going to have enough yarn" but I found 2 more balls in my stash. I did a little happy dance!
I'm worried I may not have been clear enough about how to decrease stitches for the A-line shape. This is what I did.
Bottom edge stitches (90) - armhole shaping stitches (76) = 14 stitches. I want to decrease one stitch on each end, so I need to decrease 7 times. My tank measures 16 inches from bottom edge to armhole shaping. One inch = 6 rows. 16x6= 96. 7 rows into 96 = 13.7 rows. I decreased 2 stitches every 13 rows.
From the armshole shaping, I followed my original pattern.
I'll be interested to know how you make out with your project. Thanks for getting back to me.