Weaving Judges - where are they?

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jul 29, 2008 7:51 AM

Fair Time is upon us and we are faced with finding qualified (even certified) judges for our spinning and weaving departments here in MT.

I found programs for becoming spinning judges. Are there similar programs for becoming weaving judges? There are a those in my Guild who are knowledgeable, but who have not completed a program yet.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 11:59 AM

This question comes up from time to time and I don't have a really good answer for you.  The March/April 2006 issue of Handwoven has an article by Bhakti Ziek on her advice for jurors. Juroring is both an objective and subjective science.  So much of it depends on both the show guidelines—do they allow reproductions or only original work? Is technique more important than concept?—and the Juror's personal view of the work.

You have a fabulous judge right in your state Judith MacKenzie McCuin. I have no idea if she teaches on that subject. I certainly wish I could point you in a more definite direction.  Maybe someone else out there has an idea for Denise?

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jul 30, 2008 8:27 AM

Judith is a member of our Guild and often teaches classes and techniques, but due to her busy schedule is often out of town.

We understand that we must share her with the rest of the world. I think you understand.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Jul 30, 2008 10:48 AM

Yeah, I totally get that we have to share Judith.  It's a shame.  We all want to keep her for ourselves.

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS