sizing

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 2, 2008 11:17 AM

Hi..I have a question...I am about to knit a sweater for myself at long last. I am tring to figure out what size to make. Is the easemennt built into the pattern...many times it does not say what the fit should be...1 inch negative ease, for instance. When it says tactuall bust measurement for the sweater does that take ease into consideration? I am 36 around the bust...biggest part on me..(blush)

Rosemary

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Lana wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 5:48 PM

HI Rosemary,

If this is your first sweater then a good place to start is to make the size that is closest to your bust measurement. So if the pattern says that the finished width is 34" for a small and 40" for a medium then you would knit the small. I have found that smaller fits better than bigger when it comes to knits. But you do have to consider the gauge too. If it is a really fine gauge you may want to make the larger size because I find that there is less stretch in a fine gauge knit than a heavier knit.

Also, you can always measure or try the sweater on periodically to check for fit. But once you knit the first sweater you will have a better understanding of what works for you and the next sweaters will be easier.

Lana

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS