This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
EFaull wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 7:37 AM

Hello all,

I am new to this site although I have been weaving for 20 years on and off. I also knit, crochet, tat, quilt, etc. As I am recently retired from my day job, there is more time to do the things I really love. My children have cooperated by giving me my first 3 grandbabies in the past 18 mos. SO-now I have little people to create for.  Currently I have baby blanket in Monk's Belt Bamboo yarn on the loom, one quilt on the frame and another cut and ready to piece, as well as a crocheted blanket in really soft yarn for baby #3 due in Nov. My daughter in Maine has Cashmere goats and she provides me with yarn from the goats to knit or crochet into scarves and hats which they then sell at Farmer's market and their Farm Store. I am located in Western North Carolina. Would love to hear what other folks are doing.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LoomCrazy wrote
on Aug 16, 2008 6:17 PM

Hello, EFaull ...

You'll be happy to know that you are no longer the NEWEST member here! Smile  I just joined today and, like you, I've been weaving for about 20 years (and spinning ... and knitting ... and crocheting ... and collecting yarn and fiber!)

I don't have kids (therefore, naturally, no grandkids) so I have to make blankets for local charities but I get a lot of satisfaction from that even if I don't actually see the blankets in use.  I also like to crochet baby blankets for friends who have kids or grandkids. They really seem to appreciate the "handmade" items!

Right now, I have a baby blanket in basketweave on the loom:

Baby blanket on the loom

Basket weave

I really envy you having a daughter who has Cashmere goats. Gosh, a ready made source of fiber <sigh> ...

By the way, I'm in Keizer (near Salem) Oregon.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 17, 2008 5:40 AM

Hello,

I'm also new, having just found mention of this site in the recent issue of Handwoven.  I became a weaver a year and half ago because I love to sew with handwovens and I got tired of having to buy them from others!  Just took a multi-colored pearl cotton warp off my loom, woven with three different tie ups/treadlings for the handles, body, and outside pocket of a new tote bag for my mom. I'm in Easton, MD.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
EFaull wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 8:45 AM

Love the basketweave pattern. What fiber? Couldn't tell from the pics. Cotton? The baby blankets I have on the loom now are my first out of Bamboo yarn.  It was easy to warp, has a bit of silkiness to it and is very soft. Also supposed to by naturally anti-bacterial. I'd recommend for future projects. Do you do your full size blankets in double weave?

Ellen

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LoomCrazy wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 3:36 PM

Ellen ...

I'll be perfectly honest ... I don't know exactly what kind of fiber it is. I bought it years ago on clearance and if I ever did know, I've forgotten. From the feel and look of it, it's a blend, but very soft and only slightly fuzzy. I haven't tried bamboo yet, although I would love to. Where do you get yours?

I hate doing double weave .. too much to think about!<G>   I usually do a very long warp (or two separate warps) and piece the sections together. I learned the hard way NOT to do weft-wise stripes when doing this!

I wish I was a better seamstress, though. I love making fabric for sewing clothes but most things don't come out good enough for wearing in public.

Barbara

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LoomCrazy wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 3:40 PM

Hi, Stepanie! Welcome to this site. I found it via the latest Handwover as well (wasn't that a fantastic issue? I loved the cover project but I think I'll use the pattern for a baby blanket).

As I was telling Ellen, I wish I were better at sewing so I wouldn't waste so much of my fabric on "wear in private only" items (you know, the ones with mismatched sleeve lengths or awful drape!).

Sounds like you sure have gotten good with your weaving in just a year and a half! I enjoy the process of weaving, but I prefer simple designs so I can just let my mind wander while I weave, or listen to a book.

Any chance you can post a pic of the tote bag. Sounds real nice (your mom is a lucky lady!)

Barbara

Not Ranked
Posts 7
EFaull wrote
on Aug 18, 2008 1:40 PM

I don't remember where I ordered the Bamboo yarn. It was on the internet, I looked at several sights and went with the least expensive. Love to compare prices without burning up gas!!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 19, 2008 9:24 AM

LoomCrazy:

Any chance you can post a pic of the tote bag. Sounds real nice (your mom is a lucky lady!)

Would love to but I need some info on how to get a photo to paste in. I've tried everything!  The insert image icon is only set up for URLs? 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
WeaverML wrote
on Aug 22, 2008 11:31 AM

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here too; was directed to this site though the latest Handwoven issue like most of us. I've been weaving for a little over 20 years, I got hooked on weaving in college where I was a painter but ended up taking just as many weaving courses as painting. I'm working on some tencel scarves in a crackle/shadow weave combo. I love tencel for its shimmer and silky-softness. And I've got rag rugs going too. Everyone needs a rag rug or ten! I also knit and crochet a bit.

Your projects sound great. Love the basket weave, and I'm looking forward to more pictures Geeked

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DenetM wrote
on Aug 26, 2008 12:11 PM

Hi!

I'm new to weaving, have been a member of Knitting Daily since I first heard about it, near it's beginning, I think, but am discovering the weaving forum via Handwoven's reference. . . .

My 'learning' project was something called mug rugs.  Those are still not cut apart and are in the bottom of my knitting stash drawer.  Don't care for them.  Not sure what to do with them.  Certainly wouldn't use them as coasters.  Pincushions maybe?

Then I wove a real project: dish towels.  Still need to wash and hem those, but they're off the loom.

Last week I had five little girls (10-13) at my house for a 'knitting camp.'  Last year we knit.  Since then I've learned to spin and weave, so spinning and weaving was a part of camp this year, too.  They chose the pattern for the bathtowels in the current issue of Handwoven.  Monday they measured the warp, wound it on my loom, threaded the heddles, and sleyed the reed.  By Tuesday evening I think three cloths had been woven!  Thursday they were cut off the loom and one of the girls with sewing experience zigzagged the edges and cut them apart.  They all took their own home to wash and hem.  I'm pretty proud of them.

Today I'm waiting on the yarn to arrive to start baby blankets for my Little One due in January. . . .  I'd love more pictures of other people's baby blankets.  I just bought the Handweaver's Pattern Directory, but am having difficulty imagining most of those as baby blankets-- overshot?  Really?  I've heard of it, but not seen it.-- I think I've settled on the Swedish lace draft on page 188 as having the most potential for playing with stripes and colors as I change blankets to keep from getting bored, besides being something I like.

I see someone else thought of the bathtowels as baby blankets!  I did too.  Decided against it for the boredom factor.  (I have short attention spans in my projects.)  I also considered the pineapple centerpiece with different yarns for a baby blanket. . . . rejected for the same reason.

Well.  I think I've shown myself the zealous newbie who's too ignorant to know when to be afraid!  (Teaching when I'd only completed two projects myself?!  Egotistical if anything!)

Invenite vitae carmen et canta!

DMartin 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
WeaverML wrote
on Aug 26, 2008 12:51 PM

I say you are enthusiastic! I have woven overshot baby blankets by request. I hadn't heard of it before that, but they turned out very well. My favorite is waffle weave for baby blankets. I change things up with warp and weft strips. What material are you using? Mine were done in a fluffy cotton. I want to weave them in bamboo next.

Happy weaving!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Aug 27, 2008 9:23 AM

Nice work loomcrazy!  I envy the baby.  (Hey, did you know that basket weave is a form of plain weave or tabby. This looks like spot to me.  Where did you get the draft?)

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Not Ranked
Posts 7
EFaull wrote
on Aug 27, 2008 10:03 AM

Hi and welcome: What do you do in your SPARE time?  I love to do overshots so have done baby blanket in them mostly.  I have done some in rosepath twill. Any twill threading would give you lots of options for variation both in warp stripes and weft treadling. There are several good reference books out there on twill and overshot to add to your library. One of the lace weaves would be nice for a lighter weight blanket.

EFaull

Not Ranked
Posts 2
RoseH wrote
on Aug 27, 2008 10:49 AM

welcome aboard im sort of new to you will love this site it is cool

Not Ranked
Posts 1
YDSPINNER wrote
on Mar 13, 2009 1:02 PM

HI,

I'm a new member too. Love to knit, dye, spin, wet felt, & now weave. Work full time so have to find that extra time to do all that it fiber related.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS