Dog coat patterns

This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
C.D. wrote
on Aug 26, 2008 12:31 PM

I came to the site hoping to find knit patterns for dog coats...I know there are plenty online, but I also wanted the experience of chatting with others who enjoy the process by putting hand to needle......

Hopefully we can start a thread that lists dog coat/hats/etc. patterns that others have made and are tested and true.

I have two chihuahuas 4.5 and 7 pounds so finding patterns that reduce well is a challenge.

C.D.

A long-time knitter from Ontario, Canada

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JudyS@7 wrote
on Aug 26, 2008 12:51 PM

Hi, I actually purchased a book with small dog sweater patterns and have made a couple.  Our two chihuahua's don't care for sweaters but we put them on just the same, they are both short haired and I don't want them to be cold although it's difficult to tell being that they quiver a bit even in 100 degree temps.  One of them has to snuggle in his fleece sack all the time and our girl could care less.  I've just learned how to knit socks so I've been enjoying those.

JS from Maine 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
C.D. wrote
on Aug 26, 2008 4:00 PM

Hi JS....

LOL...short-haired chihuahuas need coats even if they don't like wearing them. One of mine loves them, the other hates it and runs under the bed when he sees we getting them out.

Do you have the name of the book handy that had the chi sized patterns?

Thanks;

C.D.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 9:19 PM

HI, I had the same idea as well.  So after looking and looking online I got a few ideas. 

This helped me to custom design one for my dachshund/jack russell terrior mix and it turned out well - adorable!  As I was going along and measuring him and trying on for sizing, he seemed to look forward to the finished product, as he was so cooperative.  It just amazed me.  But I had so much fun doing this project.  Big Smile.  .    

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JulieE wrote
on Oct 13, 2008 1:02 PM

I have only knit one sweater for my dog.  He doesn't seem to be a standard dog size.  Dog sweater patterns are either for little dogs, like your chihuahuas, or for bigger dogs, like greyhounds.  I have found that most patterns need lots of changes to fit my dog.  He is a welsh springer spaniel.  He has a broader chest and a much longer body than other medium sized dogs. 

He does wear his sweater when it is -10 degrees or colder outside.  He doesn't mind it at all.  Of course I tell him how handsome he is in his sweater.  I have been thinking about knitting him some little boots to keep the snow out of his paws.  I don't think he will wear the boots though, probably kick them off.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 13, 2008 9:39 PM

JulieE,

Just so special to see your dog pictured in his handmade sweater!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JulieE wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 10:05 AM

I have a question related to dogs, but not sweaters.  There are tons and tons of patterns for knitting your dog a sweater.  Has anyone ever knitted their dog little booties or slippers?  My dog won't wear the dog boots that you can buy at a pet store.  I thought maybe socks or slippers would be more comfortable for him.  He couldn't go for a walk last night because his little toes were freezing.  I didn't mind since it was -8 and the windchill was -27.  Brrr!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
carmel71 wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 3:05 PM

I recently got a new puppy. She is an Italian Greyhound. Smaller in the chest than a chi, with longer legs. She didn't like sweaters at first, but, loves them now. I made 5 the first 2 weeks I got her. Gave 1 away to a chi that loves it. My ITG gets excited when I finish a new one. I have to alter every pattern I use. I go by the gauge of the yarn, and the measurements of the dog.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Sue Howard wrote
on Dec 17, 2008 7:39 AM

I used a baby bootie pattern for my dog. The only thing was he chewed them off. I later found out that most dogs don't like things on their fee. Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JulieE wrote
on Dec 17, 2008 1:57 PM

I tried a baby bootie and it fit him badly.  I might make up my own special bootie pattern for him.  I have a feeling that he will kick them off in the snow.  I am thinking about buying a pair from dogbooties.com since they are reasonably priced. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ShayneK wrote
on Dec 17, 2008 7:10 PM

How about leg warmers for a dog. I saw a pattern for them, maybe on the web? If no pattern can be found, just measure around the legs and knit like socks without feet as far up as needed, increasing in sts as needed. To fit upper part of legs.

shaynek

Not Ranked
Posts 1
joan@5 wrote
on Jan 12, 2009 1:49 PM

where do I get some free patterns for knitting my dog sweaters

Not Ranked
Posts 4
SueS wrote
on May 11, 2009 4:11 PM

I really could use a pattern for a 4 pound chihuahua.  If you are some one could help me out.........Thanks.........Here in Texas...........Sue

Not Ranked
Posts 1
RobynW wrote
on May 11, 2009 7:17 PM

I have a very lovable but ageing kitty 17yrs old.she is pulling her fur out and am wondering how to keep her warm.She is leaving fur all over the house,any ideas please.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 12, 2009 8:54 PM

I am wondering if you could give your vet a call about your kitty.  Maybe they would know if she has an allergy that could be the cause of her pulling her fur.  Maybe some medication would help her.  I hope she will be better. 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS