first pair of socks

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Debi J wrote
on Jan 25, 2012 9:06 AM

I was looking for ideas/suggestions/KAL for a first pair of socks. I feel like I can follow instructions fairly well if they are clearly written (for a beginner - doesn't make assumptions that you know you are supposed to do anything in between steps/stitches), but I don't want to get in over my head with something too advanced.  I think I would want to try toe up because I do want them to fit.  I think I would prefer circular, but I might be forced to try dpn.  Two at a time looks like it has advantages.  I have mostly used straight needles.

Free is a plus.  Any ideas/recommendations?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
good4tune wrote
on Jan 25, 2012 10:04 AM

I'd suggest just go ahead and try dpn.  If you have never used them, you will be surprised at how easily you adapt.  Lions/patton yarns has some basic free patterns.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 25, 2012 4:22 PM

Hi Debi J, 

I would suggest that you go over to the Socks thread on the Forum tab.  Click on Knitting Chat will take you to Socks.  AndreaW started a sock discussion.  If you go to page 1 or start from the last page going back, you'll find all sorts of Q&A's re sock knitting, patterns, yarns, needles, yarn dying, etc.  I am sure you'll find q's you have already addressed there plus lots of links to their favorite patterns, etc.  Free. 

Hope you have fun and find something. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
denicer wrote
on Jan 26, 2012 11:40 AM

Debi J

There is lots of free information available on the web for knitting socs.

I would sugest using one long circular needle, Magic Loop.   Toe up is great once you master the cast-on.  Search the web for  "Judy's magic cast-on" , lots of info. including vidios.  One of Cat Bordhi's books has a neat needle wrap cast on.  Knit Picks has some great turorials, KNITfreedom and Elann both have easy to follow free patterns.  Try knitting one at a time for the first pair, if you make a mistake you only have to backup on one soc and you don't need to struggle with two balls of yarn tangeling while learning a new technique.  Make sure your bind-off is good and loose, a sewn bind-off works well.  Using self stripping yarn gives a fun sock with easy knitting.

Denice

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 26, 2012 5:56 PM

Hi Debi J, 

I happened to re-read this post from page 2 of Socks.  I just copied the part that was pertinent.  Also, I did look at the link below and it was quite an interesting way from Cat Bordhi to do a sock.  Check it out if you have time. 

AndreaW:
Hi All...

Your mention to Cathy of the insoles you knit reminded me of a unique patt/ article I ran into a while ago. It's @ Twist Collective which has some really nice patts. Online/ 4 (?) times a year. They're not actually insoles...but rather the soles of the socks made in a unique way that looks like insoles. Then you knit the legs up. Toe-up I know....but different in a neat way!!! I printed it off + do intend to try them. The article is by Cat Bordhi + includes the link to the free patt for Houdini Socks:

http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/component/content/article/36-columns/65-houdini-socks

Take Care ..... Andrea

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS