The Official Lapis Yoke Pullover Forum

This post has 232 Replies | 29 Followers rated by 8 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
knitter247 wrote
on Feb 23, 2012 4:41 PM

Thanks for your reply Melodie, I thought I was on the right track! I am up to the third lot of increasing for the yoke and it is knitting up quite quickly, although I suspect when I get to 250 stitches the rounds will take longer!

What is the best way to join new yarn as there are no seams - in my other top-down (the Maple St cardi) I joined it at the beginning of a round where possible and weaved in the ends, but I wonder if there is a better way? Liz

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 85
Chris Essler wrote
on Feb 23, 2012 6:10 PM

Thanks Sherry. Because if it were a speed contest, I've lost already. I was enjoying the knit, but something was wrong where the project was joined in the round. After 20 rows it bothered me so much; I pulled some out, tried to fix, then went back and pulled more out. Alas, this morning I frogged big time. I'm back to empty needles.  I will start again tonight.  Will post a picture next week.  Although it might be just a picture of my circular needle empty. LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Feb 23, 2012 10:24 PM

Hi Liz,

I never changed to the smaller needle for the ribbing and I like it.  I wanted a change in texture, not a pulled in rib so I've used the larger needle for the entire sweater.  I know what you mean by shipping...I once bought a bunch of Jo Sharp yarns from a knitting shop going out of business in Australia.  I got a wonderful deal on the yarn but the shipping made me gasp.  I never dreamed it would be several hundred U.S. dollars to ship!  Lesson learned!

I prefer a "spit" join if possible with wool but if you're not working with an animal based fiber it doesn't work.  Then I would try to weave one end of yarn into the new end for a smooth join.  No knots!

And Chris, I'm so sorry you had to frog the whole thing but sometimes that's the best way to go.  I look forward to seeing a picture of your project, NOT just of your circular needles!

Take care all,

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 4
catamount52 wrote
on Feb 24, 2012 12:52 AM

Ouch.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
9098jan wrote
on Feb 24, 2012 3:40 AM

Hi Chris, I'm in the same boat as you, I was going great and had done about 2 ins of the actual body and decided that it was too loose so I frogged it back to the start.  I'm now on the third increase on the yoke.  But as everyone says it's a quick knit and so lovely to see it grow. I posted a pic earlier but will do another when I get to the same place to see if it looks any better.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. All the pictures of the finished pullovers are great.  We have some beautiful fibre art on this KAL.

Jan xx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
gumbiecat wrote
on Feb 25, 2012 12:08 PM

I'm wearing my finished, blocked Lapis Yoke Pullover, and it certainly is keeping me warm on a sunny, snow covered, and very cold day.  Judy in SE WI

Not Ranked
Posts 9
9098jan wrote
on Feb 25, 2012 12:21 PM

Hi Judy,  That's great, really fits you nice.  I love the top down designs they seem to fit better than the others somehow.  What yarn did you use?

Jan xx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
gumbiecat wrote
on Feb 25, 2012 12:39 PM

Thank you, Jan!  The yarn I used is Cascade 220 Heathers 100% Peruvian Highland Wool in a worsted weight.  This is the first time I knit a top-down sweater, and it was great to be able to try it on during the knitting.  I did make adjustments to the pattern to fit it to my body's shape.

Thanks again, Judy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Feb 25, 2012 1:56 PM

Beautiful sweater and it seems to fit you perfectly!  Love the soft heathery color too.  I just finished the yoke and am on to the body.  I tried the yoke on and would up leaving off a couple of rows.  Will see how it does! Jeanie

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Feb 25, 2012 3:17 PM

Do I join just by replying here, or is there another step?  This is my first KAL and my first top-down sweater.  I bought some amazing yarn at a knitting convention yesterday, so I'm very excited to get going.  

What cast-on is good for this?  Meanwhile, I'll start working on gauge and catch up on previous posts.  Thanks!

Yvonne

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
gumbiecat wrote
on Feb 25, 2012 8:39 PM

Thank you, Jeanie H!  I discovered that everything I knit was blue or green or blue/green ;D  Therefore, it was time for a change, and I chose the heather tan.  Maybe my next project will be a chocolate brown or a grey or even a red...hmmm.   I also had to do adjustments to my sweater to fit it to my body...I do the same adjustments to a pattern when sewing an outfit.  Wishing you successful results!  Judy in SE WI

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
lhalfcent wrote
on Feb 26, 2012 7:39 AM

beautifully done!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
gumbiecat wrote
on Feb 26, 2012 10:37 AM

Thank you!  Judy in SE WI

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
gumbiecat wrote
on Feb 26, 2012 9:47 PM

Hello Yvonne,  

Yes Yvonne, you're on the Forum.  I look forward to seeing the new yarn you bought for your Lapis Yoke Pullover!!  

The cast-on to be used with this pattern wasn't discussed, so I'm not certain of the method that works best with this pattern. I used a straight needle, made a slip knot an estimated length from the end of the yarn and used that length along with the yarn coming from the ball to make each cast-on stitch.  I then transferred the stitches to the circular needle to begin knitting.  It's the method I usually use for wool knitting because of its elasticity...but I don't know if that method has a name ;D

Enjoy the KAL!  Judy in SE WI

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Feb 26, 2012 10:32 PM

I am in, just started today, so I'm a bit behind some of you.  I had just ordered the Knitscene 2010 DVD and received it after finding out that it was on the newest one that just came out.  I have the other 2 Knitscene DVD's.  I also had to order some yarn as there was none in my stash that was right for this.  I got Berroco's Remix which is a mixture of reused materials that includes: Nylon, Cotton, Acrylic, Silk & Linen, very soft and also can be used through 3 seasons, all except the hot summer.  It also has a little white colored slub in it that will add a little something to the finished product.  The color I got is Blue Jeans and will go nicely with all of the jeans I own.  (They"re kind of my "uniform of the day" since retiring.)

Did my swatch after picking up the mail Saturday when the package from Webs came with the yarn, and today when I had some time I got the first 24 rows done.  So I'm started anyway and will be working on it as much as time permits hoping to catch-up with the schedule.

Page 8 of 16 (233 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next >  ... Last » | RSS