How many people crochet with their handspun? And what?

This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 6
KimberlyK wrote
on Sep 8, 2008 3:10 PM

I am an avid crocheter. Don't do well with knitting. (Probably related to my Photoshop vs. Illustrator problems.) I'd like to see who is crocheting what they are spinning and what they are making. You can check out some of my projects at http://www.flickr.com/photos/campkim/ .

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ChelseaN wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 1:03 PM

I actually just finished crocheting a sweater coat from my handspun wool. Here is a picture of it:

My mom and I recieved the fleece from a friend, and we washed it, over dyed it the orange color, had it carded (there is metalic threads carded in with it!), and I spun it all and crocheted it.

-Chelsea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
joydidit wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 1:38 PM

I have mainly crocheted hats, scarves and lace from my hand-spun. One trick I learned from Spin-Off is to spin S and ply Z. Otherwise you split and untwist the yarn as you crochet. It's something I noticed when I was crocheting with knitting yarns. It is also something I like to do when I make yarn for tablet weaving.

Right now I am crocheting Creepy Cute zombies and critters, but not from handspun.

Joy

Not Ranked
Posts 6
KimberlyK wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 3:09 PM

Gorgeous!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Buckiegirl wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 7:49 AM

Hi KimberlyK,

I just joined this site and for some reason your post caught my eye. Don't really know why because handspun is definitely out of my range of talents...but then I read your comparison of knitting vs. crocheting to Illustrator vs. Photoshop and had to laugh! We have a knitting group at work and they have been trying to teach me to knit. I look like I'm killing a baby seal or something when I knit...just can't get into a flow. Give me a hook and anything (even crochet with plastic grocery bags...had to try it) to crochet with and I go...maybe not well but I go. Love Photoshop! Used it for years. I have three versions on my computer (there's always something they change that I really like), Illustrator...just sits there! So I can definitely relate to what you are say.

Cheers,

Jackie aka Buckiegirl

PS loved your stuff on flickr.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
hgacres wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 9:59 AM

I don't have any pics, but I crochet anything with my handspun.  Afghans to hats to soap covers. 

I don't follow the suggestion of specific directions of spin S ply Z.  I think that is nonsense.  We don't purchase comercial yarn for crocheting based on how it was spun or plyed.  A yarn that is well constructed should be able to be knit or crocheted.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
joydidit wrote
on Sep 18, 2008 6:19 AM

I agree that any well constructed yarn can be used for crochet. However, after reading a Spin-Off article on spinning for crochet several years ago, I tried spinning S and plying Z and found it worked better for me. But what do I know?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
KimberlyK wrote
on Sep 20, 2008 5:42 PM

Always seems like a good idea to do what works best for you. That's one of the reasons I like to try different things. I may find something that works better for me than how I do it now. And I get to see what works well for others.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Twirlygig wrote
on Sep 25, 2008 4:00 PM

That is FABULOUS Chelsea!  It's beautiful and all the way from a raw fleece even!
Well done!   ( madly applauding you)

Sharon from South Australia

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Twirlygig wrote
on Sep 25, 2008 4:08 PM

I have made several items from my handspun- but have to admit I currently am obsessed with spinning so haven't made anything but a scarf for the scarf exchange here in Australia that I joined.

I have made a shawl, a few hats, a scarf, mitts, lipbalm holders ( great for using small amounts of yarn leftover or samples) and a drink bottle holder!  ( I've only been spinning for about 18 months....and have a small child at home with me.)

I spin the usual clockwise/ply counterclockwise (sorry my brain has left me and can't remember for sure if that is z spun and s ply -but I think so.....) and it works for me just fine. I never have had an issue with good yarn splitting on me in all my 30+ years of crocheting.....now- some of the cheap yarns that I could afford as a child....that's different..... but hey! It made me happy to crochet and fed my passion....so I am not knocking it completely! ) I do hold my hook differently than what I see most people doing- so not sure if that makes the difference or not- but am glad I can easily work with both s and z plied yarns! :)

Thanks for asking this question- I like to hear about others' experiences too. :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
dizzysue wrote
on Jun 23, 2010 5:22 AM

WOW this is gorgeous and such a big project too.  Many many congratulations on this.  Cool Sue.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
katep2 wrote
on Jun 23, 2010 1:48 PM

Hi KimberlyK!

I love the diversity here on Knitting Daily. I encourage you to check out crochetme.com. It's in the Interweave family dedicated to Crochet. You may find it fits your needs well.

--Kate

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Oct 24, 2010 12:52 PM

Chelsea,  Love your coat.  How long did it take you to knit it and what size  needles did you use?  I am a new beginner at spinning.  Wish I could find someone around my area to help me learn better.  I don't drive loosing eye sight so I have been trying to learn all I can before sight goes.  I crochet and knit.  Been knitting baby blankets lately it seems all my friends are having babies.  Again your coat is beautiful.  Marcia

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Oct 24, 2010 2:39 PM

Buckiegirl:
We have a knitting group at work and they have been trying to teach me to knit. I look like I'm killing a baby seal or something when I knit...just can't get into a flow. Give me a hook and anything (even crochet with plastic grocery bags...had to try it) to crochet with and I go...maybe not well but I go.

Hi Buckiegirl,

Just a quick curious little question for you.  When you tried the knitting, did you try continental style of knitting??  The yarn and needles are held much like a crochet hook.  I do both and the continental style of knitting is so easy to learn!  I would encourage you to try it again. 

Happy hooking or knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ronysmith wrote
on Apr 19, 2012 4:32 PM

Awesome

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS