Simply Sockupied Knit-along: Ann's Go-To Socks

This post has 279 Replies | 32 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 5:35 PM

It's not the first time I've done it. I made my daughter a pair that accidentally ended up with one purl round around the ankle. I said that way she'll always know they're her socks :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zytiggx wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 8:49 PM

Thanks, I'm using a Malbrigo. the color is called Playa..  I am having a great time learning to knit socks.  My next pair is the speed bump socks!. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zytiggx wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 8:50 PM

Shaggylinus:

Here is the new yarn I will be using....trekking maxima

Renée

It looks beautiful is it self striping?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 1:31 PM

Thanks for the information on posting!  I tried on my sock-in-progress, but it's too big--just doesn't hug my foot.  I used size 2 needles for the cuff, then size one for the remainder of the sock.  Should I try using a size 0 instead of a size 1?  

Thanks, and Happy Knitting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
npaprocki wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 5:20 PM

OK... next question (by the way am I the only one doing this knit-along that can't understand the instructions? ) Also I did look at you tube, but one thing that confuses me is that the video's I find seldom match the written instructions.  So since I want to do these socks correctly I'm trying to follow the instructions.  On to the questions..

I'm up to "Shape Gussets"  First, how do you know which is the right side?  Now if I understand these instructions I'm knitting with an empty needle the heel (which is the part I've just been working on right?) Whoa I think I just understood that part!  

So I guess my only question for now is how do you know which is the right side.  My next question will probably come when up to the next instruction in "Shape Gussets"... with Needle 2...

Thanks for your patience    

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 6:14 PM

What kind of yarn are you using? Is it the superfine #1 sock yarn or thicker?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 6:24 PM

Once you shape the heel, you should have gone across the heel shaping one last time on the right side, this is the side where you were doing the sl1,k1 across. At the end of that row, you do the final ssk leaving no additional stitches to knit.

Don't turn your work. Instead, you will pick up and knit the stitches along the gusset. So you are at the point where you just stopped knitting the heel row and you haven't turned your work. Now you have the heel flap and the shaped heel hanging on your needle. Directly below the needle where you just ended that last ssk, begin to pick up and knit stitches along the heel flap headed toward the needles where the front of the sock stitches are. You will then knit in pattern (k3, p1) across the front of the stock stitches, and then when you get to the other side of those stitches, pick up and knit stitches up the other side of the heel flap until you reach the other side of the heel. It's tricky if you don't have a visual on this.

I recommend these videos that helped me when I was first learning to knit socks. There are 4 in the series, they are short and to the point - really good stuff. Hope this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQMGCo_mXY&feature=channel

-Lori

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zytiggx wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 11:00 PM

leelori12:

Once you shape the heel, you should have gone across the heel shaping one last time on the right side, this is the side where you were doing the sl1,k1 across. At the end of that row, you do the final ssk leaving no additional stitches to knit.

Don't turn your work. Instead, you will pick up and knit the stitches along the gusset. So you are at the point where you just stopped knitting the heel row and you haven't turned your work. Now you have the heel flap and the shaped heel hanging on your needle. Directly below the needle where you just ended that last ssk, begin to pick up and knit stitches along the heel flap headed toward the needles where the front of the sock stitches are. You will then knit in pattern (k3, p1) across the front of the stock stitches, and then when you get to the other side of those stitches, pick up and knit stitches up the other side of the heel flap until you reach the other side of the heel. It's tricky if you don't have a visual on this.

I recommend these videos that helped me when I was first learning to knit socks. There are 4 in the series, they are short and to the point - really good stuff. Hope this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQMGCo_mXY&feature=channel

-Lori

Lori, You are right those videos are great.  When I did my first pair I watched a bunch of different  videos  The other ones I like are from VeryPinkKnits.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wSFaGpmVSw&feature=related.

By the way are you knitting the bottom of the sock in stockinette?  I thought that was how the sock would look but the pattern appeared different.  I would rather knit the bottom of the foot in stockinette and I want to make sure that I'm understanding your directions. Debra

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 11:42 PM

Thanks for the link to verypink.

Yes, once you get get to the gusset part, you will be knitting the stitches across the front of the sock (top of your foot) in pattern, and the other stitches in stockinette. Because you don't want the pattern part on the bottom of the sock where you are walking on it; it would be uncomfortable.  If you CO 64 st to begin with, the 32 stitches that you kept separate when you were knitting the heel flap and shaping the heel, will now be the only stitches that you will continue to knit in pattern. The other 32 stitches (heel plus stitches on both sides of it) will be in stockinette. Hope this makes sense.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
npaprocki wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 8:17 AM

I am using Patons Kroy Socks FX, superfine

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
npaprocki wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 8:20 AM

Lori, I've actually watched these videos multiple times.  They are the clearest I found. I will watch them again!  (and probably again and again) 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
npaprocki wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 8:33 AM

Still on the Shape Gussets section.  My question is on Rnd 2:

On Needle 1, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1 (p1, k1, k1, p1); 

On Needle 3, k1 (p1, k1, k1, p1), ssk, knit to end—2 sts dec’d.

What do the instructions in parenthesis mean? 

I'm finding the most difficulty with deciphering the instructions.  Does anyone have any recommended websites, books that explain how to read knitting instructions? I'll go back to my knitting for dummies book and re-read anything they have about this.  

Nancy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
npaprocki wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 8:56 AM

Debra, I'm watching the very pink videos now.  These are great!  I'm going to bookmark it and then try a pair of socks following these videos.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 10:07 AM

npaprocki:

Debra, I'm watching the very pink videos now.  These are great!  I'm going to bookmark it and then try a pair of socks following these videos.

I made a pair last week using her pattern to learn the magic loop method and they turn out great.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
maigheoyank wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 10:11 AM

Nancy,

Knitting instructions often offer options for varying sizes.  These are usually listed in parenthesis at the beginning of the pattern with adjustments that need to be made for needle sizes or yarn measurements.  Throughout the pattern, then, you'll find adjustments for the varying sizes listed in parenthesis.  In this case, 

"On Needle 1, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1 (p1, k1, k1, p1);"  means that the pattern requires that the row end with a k1, unless you are working in a different size.  Basically you match up the appropriate action to the size it corralates with at the beginning of the pattern.  Using this row as an example, in the case of a 7 1/2, you'd p1, for an 8, you'd k1, 8 1/2 k1, 9 p1. 

Hope that helps.

Suzann

Page 11 of 19 (280 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS