Simply Sockupied Knit-along: Ann's Go-To Socks

This post has 279 Replies | 32 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 10
maigheoyank wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 10:14 AM

Very pink is my go to place for just about any questions I have.  The patterns come with links to videos that explain each step as you go.  AND the videos are extremely well done.  I too made the socks using magic loop.  Easy peasy!

~Suzann

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zytiggx wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 10:36 AM

leelori12:

Thanks for the link to verypink.

Yes, once you get get to the gusset part, you will be knitting the stitches across the front of the sock (top of your foot) in pattern, and the other stitches in stockinette. Because you don't want the pattern part on the bottom of the sock where you are walking on it; it would be uncomfortable.  If you CO 64 st to begin with, the 32 stitches that you kept separate when you were knitting the heel flap and shaping the heel, will now be the only stitches that you will continue to knit in pattern. The other 32 stitches (heel plus stitches on both sides of it) will be in stockinette. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks that does make sense. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zytiggx wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 10:40 AM

maigheoyank:

Very pink is my go to place for just about any questions I have.  The patterns come with links to videos that explain each step as you go.  AND the videos are extremely well done.  I too made the socks using magic loop.  Easy peasy!

~Suzann

I have not tried magic loop yet.  It scares me more than DPN's did!  I am planning to try all the different ways and see what I like the best.  I really like the video Ann Budd did for picking up the gusset in the emag.  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 11:58 AM

npaprocki:
What do the instructions in parenthesis mean? 

Suzann is exactly right. I'd just add that you use the same number position that you used for the cast-on and the heel directions: If the number of stitches you cast on is 3rd from the end, then you'd use the directions 3rd from the end here (in this case, k1). 

You might find it helpful at the beginning of a pattern to highlight or circle the set numbers for your size throughout. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 12:04 PM

Ginny@45:

I tried on my sock-in-progress, but it's too big--just doesn't hug my foot.  I used size 2 needles for the cuff, then size one for the remainder of the sock. Should I try using a size 0 instead of a size 1?  

Does the leg fit? How much extra fabric do you think there is, and where do you feel it (around your heel, more in the arch, or in the ball of your foot)?

I often knit my socks on size 0, so it wouldn't hurt to try! I ask the other questions to try and figure out whether decreasing away a few extra stitches might help, too.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
SharonP13 wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 3:07 PM

Can I still join in to the knit along?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 4:21 PM

Absolutely! Cast on & join in!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 6:51 PM

Hi Anne,

The leg fits fine, but it feels loose in the ankle and through the arch.  The heel seems to fit fine.  Thanks for your help!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 6:59 PM

Ginny@45:
The leg fits fine, but it feels loose in the ankle and through the arch.  The heel seems to fit fine.

I'm afraid this may be too general...

You could certainly use the size 0 needles, starting at the point where the socks start to feel loose.

Another option is to decrease away a few more stitches at the gusset. You probably wouldn't want to lose more than 2-4 stitches (so work 1-2 more decrease rounds, until you have 2-4 stitches fewer than you cast on in the beginning). You probably won't notice if the instep reaches down an extra stitch or two along the sides of your foot, and when you switch to stockinette stitch for the toe you can just slide a stitch or two from the bottom of the sock to the top (so that you have the same number of stitches on the top of the foot as the bottom). 

Does that make sense? It's easier than it sounds!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
TraceyLRC wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 9:26 PM

Hi--I'm about to face my fears and start on socks! After 6 pairs of wool mittens knitted this summer, it's time to do something elseSmile

I chose Patons Kroy Socks FX yarn, in a very subtle color change  of greys, blues, and greens. How can I find the spot on each skein  to start at the same point in the color sequence without unwinding each one completely and making a mess? I unwound one ball on my skeinwinder just to see the color changes; it's gradual, with one skein having pretty much just one length of the sequence. I thought about winding the other skein on my niddy noddy to find a matching point in the sequence...but that sure sounds like a lot of work before I ever get started! Maybe I shouldn't worry about matching socks? I guess if I never finish the second sock it can go live with a lonely mitten I knitted years ago, and the color issue won't matter!

Looking forward to the knit-along.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
cekoons wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 10:03 PM

Personally I don't worry about "matching sox"....having used "magic stripe" yarn (no longer made) for some time, my pairs of sox are never exactly the same. The only way I know of is to unwind the entire skein and find the repeat if having precisely matching sox is critical to your peace of mind!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 10:27 AM

Hi Anne, 

I'll try your suggestions.  Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
pladle wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 1:50 PM

Hi Tracey;

I've knit mayself a pair of socks with that yarn, (which,, coincidently, I'm wearing right now! ). Though I didn't try to match them. I'm convinced there was no consistancy from one skein to the other. So, enjoy the knitting and your new socks.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Mar 13, 2012 11:42 PM

My first go-to sock is complete. I have only made one sock before, and it was toe up, and it doesn't fit a human foot. So this was my first time to: knit top down, do Old Norwegian cast-on, make heel flap and gusset and use kitchner. It was exciting and I am going to cast #2 on tomorrow.

It is made with KnitPicks, Stroll Tonal, Blue Yonder Colorway. Thanks to everyone participating for giving me the courage to try socks one more time.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 14, 2012 12:00 AM

EngineersFalcon:
My first go-to sock is complete.

Congratulations--you did it!!

May they feel great with every step.

Page 12 of 19 (280 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS