Simply Sockupied Knit-along: Ann's Go-To Socks

This post has 279 Replies | 32 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 6:58 AM

I'd like to try those cables too, but aren't you decreasing stitches?  First,  K2tog (decreasing one stitch), then you put that stitch back on the left needle, knit that stitch again, then you drop the entire stitch off the needles (thus decreasing a second stitch)?  I'm a little confused.  Could you clarify for me?  Thanks!

Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pnkbliss8 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 10:46 AM

This is Jaime O. at Interweave. I have been working on my first sock using the magic loop method. I am loving how easy it flows. However, I have run into some trouble trying to do the kitchener stitch on the toe, so I may have to re-do that part.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:29 AM

Ginny@45:
K2tog (decreasing one stitch), then you put that stitch back on the left needle, knit that stitch again, then you drop the entire stitch off the needles (thus decreasing a second stitch)?

In the stitch pattern she's talking about, you basically knit 2 in the k2tog, so you have the same number of stitches at the end. I've also seen it worked as to k2tog, then without dropping the 2 stitches from the left needle, knit the first stitch again—2 stitches created on right needle, 2 stitches removed from left needle. Does that help?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:42 AM

sewkat:
With Ann's pattern, I not sure how to do the heels. I have the cuffs/legs done, ready to start the heel.  I've got 36st on front and 32 st on back. Do I need to rearrange my stitches?

Yes, you'll need to rearrange your stitches so that you have 34 stitches on the front (instep) and the back (heel). Does the pattern (k3, p1) begin with the first stitch of the front needle? If so, just follow the directions for Set-up Row 1 and slip the stitches at the end of the front needle onto the back needle.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 12:34 PM

sewkat:
I do socks two at a time using the magic loop. I think I'm going to have to go buy some double points. I can't figure out how to make these socks work on the magic loop.

I'd be interested to know what makes these different from other socks you've worked with this technique before...

I too typically knit 2 socks at a time on 1 circ, and the heels are tricky: I start with the insteps held on the cables and work the heel flaps back and forth on the pointy ends :). Then I typically use the same side of the needles to work the heel stitches and pick up the gusset stitches, and I use the other needle to work the instep and the other gusset stitches. I do have to rearrange the stitches at some point (using another set of needles) because I don't have the same number on one side as the other.

I could use one side of the needle for all the gusset stitches and the other for just the instep stitches, which would give me the ame number on each side...

Does this make any sense? ;)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
artsyshell wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 3:14 PM

Hi there!  I recently finished the up-down socks (which i love) and thought I'd head over here and try these socks out.  I'm using 'So-Soft Sock' by Handwerks, color Asian Pear.  It's a 80% superwash merino/10% cashmere/10% nylon blend and looks kinda rust- burnt orangish- green verrigated hand dye.  I'm super excited to see this in a sock.... soooo pretty (and soft)!!!

I've already casted on, and I'll post pics as soon as I get somewhere with them.  Made the mistake of starting a knit top during my newly created sock addiction :D

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Pcantan wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 3:23 PM

Okay, it took awhile to get started on the actual sock.  I've been knitting about a year now and really enjoying the whole experience.  This is the first sock attempt.  I decided to try the Patons Kroy Socks yarn since a lot of the ladies in the forum were using it and having success as well.  It's the Brown Striped Ragg and I'm using a Size 1 needle.  The other yarn is now stash yarn for sock pair number 7 or 8.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Pcantan wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 3:29 PM

My co-worker thinks these are the coolest sock ever!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
cekoons wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 3:31 PM

NOPE, NOT decreasing, while you firstly knit 2 tog, you do NOT drop or move them off the left needle, and then you reinsert the right needle between the 2 K2tog and KNIT THE SECOND stitch resulting in no net gain or loss of stitches. Make any sense?????

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
cekoons wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 3:32 PM

GORGEOUS yarn, great start on your DPN's too!!! BRAVA!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Pcantan wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 3:35 PM

I was attempting to post to the the socks mpn68 uploaded with the contrasting toes.  Sue said if she hadn't seen the toes she would have thought they were from a store.  I'm enjoying sharing the forum and all of the beautiful socks with her.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
cekoons wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 3:41 PM

OH yeah....MUCH MUCH MUCH cooler and sweeter and neater when hand knit than store bought, for SURE!!! BRAVA!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 4:56 PM

Pcantan:

I was attempting to post to the the socks mpn68 uploaded with the contrasting toes.  Sue said if she hadn't seen the toes she would have thought they were from a store.  I'm enjoying sharing the forum and all of the beautiful socks with her.

Glad you liked the socks.  I wore them once before our weather headed into the 70's; it was a blast!

It is a great experience being part of the KAL.  It's my first KAL but it won't be my last.  I've gotten great tips and inspiration from the group!  Thanks to everyone who is participating.  Please keep posting your pictures.  I love to see them.

Mary

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 8:15 PM

Thanks Anne and cekoons!  I think I understand it now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zytiggx wrote
on Mar 24, 2012 12:52 PM

Arghh Starting over.  I was not happy with the way the gusset was picking up and frogged some and then lost stitches and well .....starting over!

Page 15 of 19 (280 items) « First ...  < Previous  13 14 15 16 17  Next >  ... Last » | RSS