Simply Sockupied Knit-along: Ann's Go-To Socks

This post has 279 Replies | 32 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
djahorne wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 2:39 PM

Hi Everyone!

My name is Janice. I live in Ridgecrest, Ca. I have 1 son, 15, and 1 daughter, 9. I have never knitted a pair of socks let alone 1 sock. I have alway wanted to. So, I thought this would be a great time to give it at try. I have also wanted to knit a pair of sock using DPN also. I am somewhat new to knitting. I have made dishrages, I am working on a very easy lace shaw. My main challenge is that I am left handed, so I am pretty much teaching myself. I am going to start from the beginning and work my way up on the different socks. I went out and got me someOneline superscke 100 Emotion III color yarn that is 50% Merinowolle, superwash, 25% Viskose, and 25% Polyamid.

Being from a small town, we have a fabric store that sells some yarn also, so there is not much to choose from. The yarn calls for a 2.5, or 3.0 DPN, so I got 3.0 to start with. I have never done a swatch, but that is what I will be doing this afternoon. I will probably have to go and get me some different DPN before I will be able to start knittig the socks.

I have a couple of questions. When you measure the ball of your foot, do you need to measure it with weight bearing or non weight bearing. The reason I ask is, I have got a messurment of 7 3/4 with no weight bearing and 8 1/4 with weight bearing. Also my foot meassures 9 1/4 in length. With this info, which size sock would I go with?

Well, that is as far as I have gotten so far. I guess I need to go and knit a swatch, then I will come back to see if anyone was able to help. Thanks again.

Janice from Ca.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
maigheoyank wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 2:57 PM

ced6,

Here is the information from the pattern:

YARN Fingering weight (#1 Super Fine). Shown here: The Verdant Gryphon Bugga! (70% superwash merino, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon; 412 yd [377 m]/4 oz [113 g]): autumn tiger beetle, 1 (1, 1, 2, 2) skein(s).

NEEDLES Upper leg: U.S. size 11⁄2 (2.5 mm): set of 4 double-pointed (dpn); lower leg and foot: U.S. size 1 (2.25 mm): set of 4 dpn. Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.

NOTIONS Markers (m); stitch holder (optional); tapestry needle.

GAUGE 32 sts and 44 rnds = 4" (10 cm) in St st on smaller needles, worked in rnds. 

HAPPY KNITTING!

maigheoyank

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 3:00 PM

JoyV54:
Is there any place else I can read for instructions on making the necessary adjustments?

That's an excellent question... Unfortunately, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all solution. When they haven't fit before, how have they not fit?

The simplest solution is to go up or down a needle size where you need a tighter or looser fit; that might or might not be enough. The only way is to make a swatch of the whole calf circumference and try it on. Let us know what specific problems you find!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 3:11 PM

djahorne:
The yarn calls for a 2.5, or 3.0 DPN, so I got 3.0 to start with.

Ann's Go-To Socks pattern uses both a 2.5 mm and 2.25 mm, one for the upper calf and one for the ankle/heel/foot. Your mileage may vary, though! Knit a gauge swatch (in the round) and see what you get.

djahorne:
I have got a messurment of 7 3/4 with no weight bearing and 8 1/4 with weight bearing. Also my foot meassures 9 1/4 in length. With this info, which size sock would I go with?

That's a really good question, one I've never considered before! Gosh, I think I measure my feet crossed over my knee, but maybe it's more accurate the other way!

You want to make socks with a bit of negative ease, so I'd probably start with the 7 1/2" size, and if that's too small, go to the 8" size. (You could also tweak your fit by altering your gauge, but you'll have to knit a swatch and do the math to figure it out.)

Don't choose your sock size based on your foot length. You can always knit a longer or shorter foot. Choose it by your foot circumference.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bhammeraz wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 4:45 PM

Hi all!

My name is Becca and I am a first time sock knitter. I am looking forward to this KAL. I am making these socks for my husband, using a ball of Malabrigo sock from my stash. It is in shades of forest greens, browns and rust colors. Hopefully I can get this done and improve on my skills!

Looking forward to knitting with all of you Smile

Becca  (ravelry id- bhammer or bhammeraz, not sure which)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
RicaWil wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 7:35 PM

I am using Deborah Norville Serenity sock yarn in "purple spice". I have never done socks before, but have been wanting to try it.

Erica

in Spokane,WA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lcdeakers wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 7:44 PM

Hi. I am new to sock knitting. I have knit fingerless gloves on DPN's and love it so I really want to try socks. I have ordered cascade heritage sock yarn and the needle kit recommended. My question is about measurements. The article in Sockupied said one may need to make adjustments if circumference of calf where top of sock will fall is substantially different than ball of foot. But nothing further was explained. The ball of foot measurement for me is 9" and the sock length I want is 10 " . Calf circumference at 10" on my leg is 12". What kind of adjustment do I need to make? Thanks, Lynne from Huntington Beach, CA

Not Ranked
Posts 1
madonceel wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 8:41 PM

Hi there.  Mary A from Indiana here.   I've knit maybe 4 pair in the past but am out of practice and was wanting to have a go at socks again so I decided to try this KAL.   Got the e-mag and selected my pattern last night.  Tonight I located the candidate yarn from my stash,  Socrates,  from Alpaca with a Twist.  This yarn is 30% baby alpaca, 30% merino, 20% bamboo and 20% nylon.     I want to knit these 2 at a time on circular, so I'll have to dig out some instructions to get me started there.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zytiggx wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 8:45 PM

Hi, I'm Debra a newbie sock knitter.  I have made one pretty mostly successful pair of socks.  The first sock is well shaped but for some unknown reason is knit inside out on the foot !  The second sock is fine.  If anyone knows what I might have done I'd be interested in figuring out why. 

I'm very excited to participate in the KAL.  I'm swatching now and hope to be ready to start this weekend. I am using Malabrigo sock weight in Playa.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
The Jacker wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:18 PM

My name is Jackie and I'm going to knit Ann's Go-To socks. I have knit a few pairs of socks, all cuff-down and fairly basic. I am going to use Knit One Ty-Dy socks in a color way with blues and greens. I can't wait to get started!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
RicaWil wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:56 PM

Oh, boy I had some real problems understanding the Old Norwegian cast on. I finally found this u tube video that helped me get it!

http://youtu.be/OIXs0__P4vc

Erica

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
npaprocki wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 5:20 AM

Thanks for this!!! I also can't get any kind of handle on the Old Norwegian.  First off I can't figure out how the yarn gets held.  I studied the pictures in the printed pattern and tried the video several times.  When my company leaves I'm going to give this video a try. 

When I played the video in the application if I hit pause to see how the yarn was held in the video the word "PLAY" appears over the woman's hands making it difficult to see.  Is there a way to pause the video without seeing any words over the screen?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
gentsmom wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 6:40 AM

Don't give up on the Old Norwegian.  I learned it about a year ago.  It took me a long time to get the hang of it.  Then it finally clicked, and I almost always cast on with it now.  It makes a nice, neat looking edge on many projects, not just socks.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
tinker1205 wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 8:35 AM

Wow, I'm finding it very confusing figuring out where to be posting!  Is this forum just for the Ann Budd "go to socks"?  That is the pair I will be making but I thought it would be interested to follow all the patterns and posts as they are worked on for future reference.  Anne can you help me out here?

BTY I'm Lynn from Northern Ontario, Canada. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 8:59 AM

Thanks Anne!

Page 3 of 19 (280 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS