Simply Sockupied Knit-along: Ann's Go-To Socks

This post has 279 Replies | 32 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 9:00 AM

RicaWil:

Oh, boy I had some real problems understanding the Old Norwegian cast on. I finally found this u tube video that helped me get it!

http://youtu.be/OIXs0__P4vc

Erica

Thanks for the video link Erica!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
maigheoyank wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 10:28 AM

Here's another very helpful video on the Old Norwegian cast on, incase you need another reference:  http://verypink.com/2012/01/04/german-twistedold-norwegian-cast-on/

~Suzann

Not Ranked
Posts 13
The Jacker wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 1:39 PM

Thank you soooo much! What a great video tutorial on the Old Norwegian cast-on. I actually got it!

Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KimPDX wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 4:07 PM

Hi!  I'm Kim, and I'm so excited that there's a Sockupied for beginners!  I've made one pair of socks in a class, but I am still feeling really clueless and haven't made any more.  And I'd just love a drawer full of socks I made myself!

I'm going to delve into my stash for these socks.  I have some Heart & Sole sock yarn from Red Heart that I bought because I love the color (and just now I can't remember the color name, so I guess I won't share that part), so I'll use that.

I probably won't get a chance to cast on until Friday evening--homework comes first--but I will jump in on this!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 4:46 PM

tinker1205:

Is this forum just for the Ann Budd "go to socks"? 

Yes, this is the thread for Ann Budd's pattern. If you choose the general Sockupied forum, there's a different thread for every pattern in the issue, so follow along at your leisure?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
The Jacker wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 4:47 PM

I've been knitting gauge swatches all afternoon and it looks like I need 2s and 3s. I must be knitting tighter than I usually do. When I knit lace I usually have to go down a needle size to get gauge. LOL I hate doing gauge swatches, but I am always glad I did!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 4:55 PM

I have only made 2 pairs of socks before and it was awhile ago.  I remember when I made them that I didn't like how they fit at the toe.  The seam at the toe somehow fell under my foot so that it was walking on it and it was very uncomfortable.  Is there a way to avoid this when the time comes?  Thanks, Renée

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 4:56 PM

npaprocki:

When I played the video in the application if I hit pause to see how the yarn was held in the video the word "PLAY" appears over the woman's hands making it difficult to see.  Is there a way to pause the video without seeing any words over the screen?

That's part of the software we build on... I'm sorry! Is there a particular moment you'd like to see? I can try to get a freeze-frame. (It's also useful to know where the illustrations aren't doing the trick.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 4:59 PM

The Jacker:

I hate doing gauge swatches, but I am always glad I did!

You're my new poster child!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 5:04 PM

Shaggylinus:

I have only made 2 pairs of socks before and it was awhile ago.  I remember when I made them that I didn't like how they fit at the toe.  The seam at the toe somehow fell under my foot so that it was walking on it and it was very uncomfortable.  Is there a way to avoid this when the time comes?  Thanks, Renée

That's an interesting question! How did you finish the toe? With Kitchener, the seam shouldn't be different from the other fabric. You could try a short-row toe and seam or graft it on top of the toe, though that's not built into this pattern. 

Keep us posted as you get closer and we'll help if the problem comes up again.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 5:18 PM

I finished the toe using the kitchener stitch.  I think it is because the toe ended up pointer than I would have liked.  I have 10 sts. on top and bottom when I did the kitchener stitch.  Maybe  if I can get the toe portion a little wider I will like it better.  (And I have little feet.  I am a size 6...lol)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 5:44 PM

Shaggylinus:

I have 10 sts. on top and bottom when I did the kitchener stitch.  Maybe  if I can get the toe portion a little wider I will like it better.  

Good point (as it were)! You can choose to start decreasing later and work fewer decreases. You'll have to graft more stitches, but if it makes the feet fit better, it's worth it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 6:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm Ginny from Ohio.  I've also made one pair of socks, but I'd like to become more proficient at it.  I'm going to use Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in royal wedding.  It's a luscious colorway with shades of aqua, light blue, medium blue, navy, and black.  I hope to start the  gauge swatch tonight.  Can't wait to see how these turn out!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 7:09 PM

Thanks for video link Erica! I'm really excited to learn the Old Norwegian cast on. I only use the long tail cast on for everything I knit so far.

Page 4 of 19 (280 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS