Simply Sockupied Knit-along: Ann's Go-To Socks

This post has 279 Replies | 32 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
neldasews wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 9:52 AM

Hi my name is Nel and I have knit one pair of socks and fell in love. I am working on my second pair now but only know one way to make them (one 2 sets of circular needles). Hope this forum will increase my limited knowledge.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 11:02 AM

Janice, I have been watching the magic loop videos from very pink on you tube.  She has a 7 videos that go together that show you each part of making the sock.  Her you tube videos are also found on her site here (much easier to find this way):

http://verypink.com/2011/01/13/learn-to-knit-magic-loop-socks/

I hope these help you!  They are really helping me so far.

Renée

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mfarren wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 11:02 AM

I'm starting with Ann Budd's socks too!  Off to get my knitting needles and see what I have in my stash :-) 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
whall wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 12:05 PM

Hello.  I am trying Anne's go-to socks.  I have tried to knit socks before without much success.  I hope I'm able to succeed in this knit-a-long.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 2:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I've never used magic loop. I learned to knit socks on dpn's and then switched to using two circulars, which is my favorite. For this pattern, I am using dpn's since the pattern called for them. I am knitting top down.

When you get through shaping the heel, you will be left with a certain number of stitches (for the heel portion). For example, if using 64 stiches for your sock, you will have 18 heel stitches remaining after shaping the heel. You will still also have 32 stitches on the front needle (that never changes until you start the decreases at the toe).

For the gusset, you will follow instrux to pick up and knit (using the 64 st example) 19 stitches on one side, knit in pattern across 32 st for the front of the sock, then pick up and knit 19 st on the other side ending at opposite side of heel.

Distribute stitches onto 4 dpn's as follows:

Front of sock - always and continuously has the same 32 st on 1 needle (64 st example)

Heel -  has 18 st (the stitches that were left when you finished the heel shaping using the 64 st example)

Each side needle - will have 19 stitches which are the stitches that you picked up and knitted on each side.

Here's what it looks like from the front:

And here's what it looks like from the heel side:

You will be working the gusset and decreases according to your pattern until you get back to 64 stitches altogether. So your stitch count will be as follows when you get finished with the gusset part:

32 st on front needle

18 st on heel needle

7 st on each side needle

At this point you can redistribute the stitches back to 3 needles if you would like. If you started with 3 needles when you cast on, you will redistribute stitches so the break is at the exact center of the heel. Your stitch count would look like this:

32 st on front needle (the same 32 stitches that have continuously been on this needle - don't redistribute these!!!)

16 stitches on each of the other two needles.

Why the emphasis on keeping the 32 front st on the same needle? Because when you get to the decreases for the toe, your needles are in perfect position to begin the decreases on each side. You'll see what I mean when you get there. I'll post some pics when I get to that point later.

On the long haul to the toe now.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Welachild wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 3:34 PM

Hi leelori,

Thanks for sharing your photos. The yarn you are using looks beautiful! What brand is it?

-Melissa 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 5:25 PM

Hi Melissa,

Thanks. It's Plymouth Yarn Zino, Color 3. 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon.

-Lori

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 3, 2012 6:34 PM

Hi - My name is LuAnne and I live in WI.  This is my first pair of socks, which I have being dying to try.  I am so excited to start these and am knitting in Patons Kroy Socks FX in Cascade.

So far, I think this e-mag is going to be the way to learn this!

Cheers!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
PatAnne wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 8:01 PM

Hello!  I have attempted socks before and never finished.  I love the KAL's to keep the interest going.  I splurged (with a coupon, of course) on the bamboo needles....and I am off to pick one of my sock yarns that have been waiting so patiently!  See ya! Pat

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Mar 4, 2012 2:53 AM

My name is Rebecca. I have not really been successful with socks in the past, and had almost given up. I saw this KAL though and thought I would give it one more try. I am using magic loop, and KnitPicks stroll tonal in Blue Yonder. I have Simply Socks on my iPad and I am so impressed with how user friendly, beautiful and smooth it is. I look forward to to this whole little adventure!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mjgb8 wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 6:43 AM

Hi, I'm MaryJo and I live in Upstate NY. I have been teaching myself to knit for the sole purpose of knitting socks! So far, I've had no luck at all, so when I saw the email, I grabbed the emag and I am diving right in! I have 6 kids and a husband who is so supportive. I have just had my 4th major back surgery so I'm recovery for 6 weeks and I so need something to do. I'm going to start the pattern this morning and I'm sure I'll be back asking questions! I see there are others like me so it will be good to have support and to know I'm not alone is this venture!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
npaprocki wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 7:26 AM

Still another question on the instructions.... I'm up to "TURN HEEL".  Completed rows 1 and 2.  There are instructions in parenthesis on rows 3 and four.  What do they mean?  Thanx. Nancy

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
cekoons wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 8:54 AM

Best of luck MaryJo, be sure and utilize the resources on youtube, that way you can SEE what you are to do next, I find that very helpful!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
teva_hobbies wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 2:23 PM

So, I've tried knitting once before but didn't get very far. I have always wanted to learn how to knit socks and I am hoping that I've come to the right place! My name is Teva, and I am a crocheter. I would like to use Alpaca with a Twist, Baby Twist. It is a 3ply 3 weight. Do you think they will come out too thick?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
cekoons wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 2:31 PM

I don't think there IS a "too thick" really...if that's the yarn you have and that's the yarn you want to use, then that's what you'll get....boot sox or slipper sox. Thinner yarn and smaller needles equals thinner sox, that's just how it is...so if you're limited by supply you can learn, I think it might be easier to learn on bigger yarn b/c you can SEE what you're doing. Do you have a pattern or a book to work from ? There's a lotta great videos on Youtube, but a book might be better for you to learn the combinations of yarn and needles that give the result you're looking for...make any sense? CIAO and don't give up, I've been knitting since I was a kid (LONNNGGG time) and I learn something knew almost every time I pick up needles and yarn!!!

Page 7 of 19 (280 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS