This post has 45 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 24, 2012 7:35 PM

Join us as we knit Deb Barnhill's Speed Bump Socks from Simply Sockupied!

Here's how a knit-along works:

1. Buy your pattern (in Simply Sockupied, through the app store for the iPad version or through the Knitting Daily Shop for the Mac or PC version).
  2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash).
  3. Introduce yourself below and tell us which yarn you're using. This is where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.
  4. Post a photo of your finished socks when you're done.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 1:58 PM

I'm Deb.  I'm a veteran sock knitter (toe up, magic loop, 2 at a time is my favorite technique).  For myself, I also knit exclusively with non-wool yarns.  Anyone wanting to know about them can feel free to ask.

These socks will be a holiday gift for a friend, so I won't have the fall-back of trying them on to check for fit while I'm doing them.

I'll be knitting these on Circular needles - and just picked up the Kroy Ragg yarn today.  I think the regular ribbing has the potential to make these easy socks to make and fit a wide variety of feet, but thought I'd out the repeats/rounds idea with the original yarn.

Now, one "techy" question: I downloaded the PDF pattern which seems to reside in this Sockupied app.  I really prefer to store my PDFs in the GoodReader app because it lets me leave notes and mark up the pattern just like a printed one.  Is there a PDF link so I can transfer the pattern over to my favorite medium? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 3:13 PM

debroby:
Now, one "techy" question: I downloaded the PDF pattern which seems to reside in this Sockupied app.  I really prefer to store my PDFs in the GoodReader app because it lets me leave notes and mark up the pattern just like a printed one.  Is there a PDF link so I can transfer the pattern over to my favorite medium? 

The info about this is at the end of a blog post called "Knit Socks with your iPad." You just tap-tap-tap as directed and you can save it to GoodReader or iBooks or Acrobat.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 10:42 AM

Today I will ball up my yarn and get to know it.  Set it up (I hope) to look like identical twins.  Then search my needle stash for some needles to use with it. 

I have 2 pairs of socks on needles - one almost completed.  I need to finish that pair before I cast these on. 

Decided I'd be a proper KALer and knit these from the top down -following the directions not just the pattern.  Anxious to figure out how to the heel so the pattern isn't all wonky on the instep.  But that step is a ways away.

Also, must figure out how to sneakily find out this lady's foot size. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 4:43 PM

debroby:

Also, must figure out how to sneakily find out this lady's foot size. 

Tricky! It's not totally related to shoe size, but if you choose a pattern with some ribbing and stretch you may be able to ballpark...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 3:46 PM

This is a (terrible, burry, shot with my phone) photo of my Speed Bump Socks so far! I'm using yarn from my stash, a colorway of Patons Kroy that has since been discontinued. When I swatched, I realized that the color progression doesn't work the same way as for the color in Simply Sockupied, but I realized that the green and orange were a little wider than the other stripes and occurred regularly. The socks are very cheerful..

Since I have big feet, I may wind up with toes in another color! We'll see. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 11:44 AM

debroby:

I'm Deb.  I'm a veteran sock knitter (toe up, magic loop, 2 at a time is my favorite technique).  For myself, I also knit exclusively with non-wool yarns.  Anyone wanting to know about them can feel free to ask.

Hi Deb.  I saw on your post that you have knitted with magic loop before.  Could you please answer a question for me?  I just tried starting some socks using the magic loop method and my circle is just huge.  It looks like I am making a hat rather than socks.  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using worsted weight yarn to practice with size 5 32" circle needle. (the yarn and needle size was suggested on a you tube video i watched.) 

Thanks,

Renée

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 12:02 PM

Renee,

Well using worsted weight and size #5 needle means you're working large to begin with.  How many stitches are you using?  If it's much more than 16 per side (32 total), yeah, you're making a hat.

My suggestion - start over with sock yarn and a size 1 or 1.5 needle about 32-40" long.  Just follow the sock pattern here as written, and ask me questions as you go along. Really, magic loop is easy. (I don't understand why everyone doesn't use this technique.  But then I know DPN knitters who wonder why I fool with my cables.)

My favorite circulars for socks are the Addi Lace circulars with brass needles.  As you work, the brass is soft enough to change and mold to your hand making it quite comfy.  The connection is smooth as glass, and the cords don't kink.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 12:12 PM

Thanks Deb! You guessed my problem. I had way to many stitches. I will give it a try with the correct  yarn and needles.  So I should be ok with 68 sts using the size 1 32" circular needle and fin sock yarn?

Thanks again'!

Renée

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 3:00 PM

Yes - 68 stitches with sock yarn and a #1 needle should be perfect! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 4:53 PM

I just wound the 3 pucks of my Patons Ragg yarn for these socks.  Totally flabbergasted to realize that 2 of the 3 skeins were wound by manufacturer in one direction, and the third backwards to the other two. Now to rewind it so they are going in the same direction. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
katglad wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 8:12 PM

If you're using Good Reader on Apple products, all you have to do is drag the PDF into the apps section of your device when you have it plugged into the sync cable. Then sync the device.  I've been using Good Reader to store all of my knitting & crochet PDFs for some time now - love it.

kat.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jjuliane wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 8:51 AM

Hello

Just started the  Speed Bump socks.  I have some stash yarn, Ashford Opal self striping sock yarn and I'm using this nifty new sock needle I bought at a nice new knitting store ,"Yarnabiiity".  the needle is a tiny US 1.5 /2.5mm - 9 inch circular.  So small it takes getting used to, but I'm happy not to use double pointed needles for a change.

PS - I'm not really sure how to join this KAL.  I just hit the reply button, hope that's correct.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 10:07 AM

How are using a 9" circular needle to knit these?  That seems short even if you're using two.  Picture please?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jjuliane wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 11:40 AM

okay I took a picture, but I dont have time to (attempt to post it) until later.  I'm glad you asked me because when I looked closer at the package that the needles came in, there was a really nice sock pattern on the insert for diamond lace socks!  I never would have seen it.  Anyway the needles are made by Hiya Hiya, maybe they have a webpage.  

Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS