Simply Sockupied Knit-Along: Speed Bump Socks

This post has 45 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jjuliane wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 11:41 AM

okay I took a picture, but I dont have time to (attempt to post it) until later.  I'm glad you asked me because when I looked closer at the package that the needles came in, there was a really nice sock pattern on the insert for diamond lace socks!  I never would have seen it.  Anyway the needles are made by Hiya Hiya, maybe they have a webpage.  

Not Ranked
Posts 5
laurapuhalla wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 1:41 PM

I am making these socks using magic loop and two at at time. I have used  magic loop and i love it but have never tried two at a time. I found a video  on you tube that made it so easy to figure out.   I love the stripes in this yarn. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 2:35 PM

I'm familiar with Hiya Hiya needles - and more than familiar with knitting with circulars.  Which may be why I cannot imagine how your doing this on 9" needles.  I think I would need to spread the stitches out over 3-4 needles - kind of like using them for DPNS.

When I use 2 sets of circulars I use a 24-32" long set of needles.  When I magic loop, it's 40" or longer...  Nine inches baffles me.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 8:16 AM

laurapuhalla:

I am making these socks using magic loop and two at at time. I have used  magic loop and i love it but have never tried two at a time. I found a video  on you tube that made it so easy to figure out.   I love the stripes in this yarn. 

Did you happen to have a link to the you tube video you are watching that shows making two socks at a time with the magic loop method?  Are you using 32" or 40" long needles?  Thanks, REnée

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 8:19 AM

I am hoping to get my longer needles in today or tomorrow so I can start my socks.  The I finished one sock using the magic loop yesterday. ( It was another pattern I was practicing on that called for worsted weight with a size 5, 32")  I had that yarn and needle size in my stash already so I have been working on that until my other needle for this class pattern comes in.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
laurapuhalla wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 4:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=gN2pzj4Y3GU&NR=1

here's the link.  I think the 48" that I am using are too long.  I think 40 should be good for you.  I am not sure about whether 32 is a little too short.  maybe someone else can weigh in on that.  good luck and feel free to ask me any questions

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 6:00 PM

While it's a little bit of pain to have circulars too long -I'd rather have them too long than too short.  I've read about people using circulars up to 60" long.  (I've tried it - it's really awkward when you begin (especially from the toes up), but it lets you loop the extra wire around your wrist and "carry" the weight of the socks off your needles when they get longer.

I prefer 40-48" length myself.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jjuliane wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 6:14 PM

i'm having a great time with my 9" circular.  I'll try and get that picture loaded.  Do I go to the insert media tab?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jjuliane wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 6:45 PM

the yarn isnt that great for the speed bumps.  It's more variegated  than striped, but I'm making it work.  There are my Hiya Hiya little circulars.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:25 PM

debroby:
Totally flabbergasted to realize that 2 of the 3 skeins were wound by manufacturer in one direction, and the third backwards to the other two.

I kept telling some of my knit-along colleagues that they really shouldn't skip that step--and now I can tell them why (besides "Just do it, will you?!?).

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:26 PM

jjuliane:
PS - I'm not really sure how to join this KAL.  I just hit the reply button, hope that's correct.

That works just fine. :) 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:30 PM

laurapuhalla:
I have used  magic loop and i love it but have never tried two at a time.

That's how I usually make socks--because I'm terrible at remembering to count! It helps me make sure they're the same length. It does get a little tricky around the heel, though, but the worst case scenario is that you slip one sock to another needle or set of dpns, get the other one arranged the way you like it, and slip the other one back on the needles.

For these socks I decided to do one at a time because the heel calls for a separate length of yarn, and I figured that having 4 separate lengths of yarn would be too much! I also wasn't sure whether the stitches would change color at exactly the same place. Keep us posted!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 2:21 PM

S L O W L Y working on these socks (wrist tendonitis is slowing me down. Don't know if the knitting or the weight lifting or the gardening that is contributing more).  I'm almost done with the ribbing, but realized that my 2 socks are about 2 rows different in the colors.  So I'm knitting one and slipping the other until they catch up.  Then it's finish off the final ragg colors and start on the speed bumping.

Using my Addi lace needles which are really too long (40" I think) - but that doesn't affect much.  Wondering why I've read of folks using 60" long cables to do socks, though...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 3:07 PM

Take care of yourself! 

I wonder about the 60" too; I might use a 40" if I just wanted to have one needle whether making a sock or sweater, but you'd have to be making a big blanket to need 60"! (Maybe they mean 60 cm, which is about a 40" circ?)

I ran out of yarn! (I have size 11 feet and made a lengthy cuff and knit tightly, so I knew it was a possibility.) I did find some in another person's stash, and she's offered to send it to me. Such a relief... My socks were going to be seriously ugly otherwise!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 3:57 PM

The friend I'm making these for is an 11.  I bought the 3rd skein to do the heels- do you think I should pick up a 4th skein just in case? With our $$ limit, that kind of cuts into also building her a "knit your own socks" kit to go with these...

And how long is the foot of a size 11??

Page 2 of 4 (46 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS