Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 4:36 PM

debroby:
The friend I'm making these for is an 11.  I bought the 3rd skein to do the heels- do you think I should pick up a 4th skein just in case?

I think I'm going to be fine with 3 skeins. I used up at least one repeat of the yarn on the swatch, which I can reclaim if necessary. I only worked a 6.5" leg because I feared running out, but I cast on 76 stitches instead of 72. I estimate needing 3 more color repeats to finish the foot, which I'll definitely get out of the third ball.

Here, look. (Please excuse the messy desk and end-of-winter calves!)

debroby:
And how long is the foot of a size 11??

My feet measure about 10.25" long. (Socks do stretch, though, so 1/4" inch may not make or break them.)

I love the idea of a build-your-own-socks kit! You are a very generous knitter.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 4:56 PM

I think I have some of that yarn! I knit a baby cap out of it last year -the parents LOVED it.

Every Xmas our group exchanges presents -which are meant to be thoughtful though not expensive presents.  My "giftee" this year mentioned that she would like to learn how to knit socks.  Knowing her, she won't learn before next xmas.  So I can make her "example" socks, give her some yarn from my stash and one of very many needles and offer to get her off to a strong start.

Cross fingers, she'll be willing to learn my tricks for toe-up 2 at a time magic loopers.  Because I think they are the easiest socks in the world to knit.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 5:24 PM

debroby:

I think I have some of that yarn! I knit a baby cap out of it last year -the parents LOVED it.

Every Xmas our group exchanges presents -which are meant to be thoughtful though not expensive presents.  My "giftee" this year mentioned that she would like to learn how to knit socks.  Knowing her, she won't learn before next xmas.  So I can make her "example" socks, give her some yarn from my stash and one of very many needles and offer to get her off to a strong start.

Cross fingers, she'll be willing to learn my tricks for toe-up 2 at a time magic loopers.  Because I think they are the easiest socks in the world to knit.

I have been practicing knitting on the magic loops with socks and I love it.  Do you know of a good pattern and/or instructions on how to learn to make them 2 at a time on the magic loop?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 6:08 PM

debroby:

I'd love to know how other knitters do it! I knit mine two at a time on one cir (most of the time; not for these) but it's not pretty. :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 7:05 PM

Check any of the books by Mellisa Morgan-Oates.  All of them are Magic Loop directions. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 10, 2012 9:01 AM

I use Judy's Magic Cast on for my toes.  And -because it works for my heel and it's so incredibly easy- I use the simple gusset heel.

Probably "biggest" tip is to attach a row counter when doing the toes and heels.  Set the number to the # of even stitches (usually the add on row), flip it every row and know that even rows = stitches on the needle, but odd rows = no add ons.  Helps my distracted brain keep track of these things.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
laurapuhalla wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 4:22 PM

Lesson learned!  I shouldn't try to learn a new technique (two at a time) and a new pattern at the same time.  I got a bit hung up  when doing the heel flap and picking up stitches but I think I am on track now.  I am now working on decreases and everything is coming out nicely.  I can't wait to wear these socks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 12:43 PM

debroby:

How are using a 9" circular needle to knit these?  That seems short even if you're using two.  Picture please?

One of our in-house knitters is doing the same! (She has very small hands, so the short needles don't bother her.)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 4:51 PM

Really interested in how they love doing the heels.  This just boggles my mind.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jjuliane wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 9:18 AM

Yes!  Thank you for posting the picture of the 9" needle user!  I was feeling like nobody believed me.

Once I got to the heel flap. I did find it to be a little too crampy  to use,  so I used a double pointed needle along with the circular, but once back on the foot, it's the 9" all the way.  This is my 5th pair of socks and I'm finding it to be much faster knitting.   Plus when I saw it, I was dying to try it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 25, 2012 6:50 PM

Hi I'm Lori. I just finished my speed bump socks. I had to take a break before I knit the 2nd cable sock :) For the speed bumps, I used Regia yarn, Brasil color.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jurgy wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 12:08 AM

I always use 9" circular needles for socks -- either round Addi, Hiya Hiya or the square Kollage brand. I find them very easy to use. The only thing I use double points for are the toes (when there are too few stitches to use the circulars). I know some people don't like the tiny circulars, because they feel like their hands are cramping, but I LOVE THEM! So relaxing not to have to fight with dbl. points -- just go round and round! Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 5
laurapuhalla wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 5:07 AM

I would love to try them.  Cant seem to find them locally though.  Anyone know where to go online?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
artsyshell wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 10:17 AM

I found 9" circulars at Jo-Ann's fabric, and online on Webbs.  They seem to sell out relatively quickly in both places, but they are there :)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jurgy wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 6:53 PM

Patternworks (www.patternworks.com) has the Hiyahiya 9" and the Addi Turbo 8". They also have a bamboo 9" -- but I have always preferred the steel needles; much smoother knitting. The Dreamz double pointed needles in 5" or 6" that Patternworks carries are just that ... a dream! Love them for heel and toe work. I have ordered from Patternworks many times -- they are reputable and ship fast.

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS