Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:17 PM

LynnA@11:
This is worked flat on 30 sts down to 6 sts, but then I get lost. The directions are to k wrapped st, w&t. Am I to w&t the next st that was left from the previous row of wrapping that was left out of the next row?

Let me see if I can answer this more clearly... When you start widening back out again, you knit the stitch you wrapped when you last worked in that direction. So if you look at your needles and you have:

[right edge] wrap wrap wrap [working yarn here] knit knit knit wrap wrap wrap [left edge]

you would do this on the first widening row:

[leave first 3 wrapped stitches on right needle alone] knit knit knit KNIT WRAP turn

So... One stitch that was wrapped on the last RS row has been knitted, one stitch that was single-wrapped on the RS row before that is now double-wrapped, and the rest of the stitches on the left edge are untouched.

Does that make sense? I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which stitch you mean when you say it was left from the previous row of wrapping that was left out on the next row. (It's around 3:34 of the video, but I can see how those needles flying around are hard to follow.)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
LynnA@11 wrote
on Mar 10, 2012 8:02 AM

Thank you! Going to try again...

Not Ranked
Posts 9
gentsmom Idea [I] wrote
on Mar 10, 2012 6:30 PM

Hi Anne.  I wrote earlier that I was having trouble keeping track of the wrapped stitches.  I figured out a way to keep track without relying on my memory & eyesight, and without resorting to pencil & paper.  I'm using five needles.  In the pic below, I've got my working stitches split between the two pink Silvalume needles, and my held stitches split between the two wooden sox stix.  Also on each wooden needle is a ring marker, and my wrapped stitches.  In the pic below, I am on the narrowing part of a heel.  I work each row to the next to last stitch, then wrap the last stitch, then instead of slipping it back to my working needle, I slip it back to the wooden needle, where my held stitches are.  When I get to the widening part of the heel, I will take a wrapped stitch from the wooden needle on each row.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
gentsmom wrote
on Mar 10, 2012 6:37 PM

Here's the picture:

Not Ranked
Posts 3
rmknapik wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 8:34 PM

Relatively new knitter. 3 scarves, 1 pair of socks so far, which turned out a bit too big. . Doing these top down to learn short rows. Trying not to change too much all at once. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
rmknapik wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 8:44 PM

Used the old Norwegian cast on. Like the look. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
artsyshell wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 10:55 AM

Thanks for the cast-on ideas, Anne!  After casting on and pulling apart 4 or 5 times (2 kiddo's in the house isn't help there LOL), I think the knitted cast-on and I have become better friends... although... I'll still try those others.

Ok... here is my first sock... top-down.  For some reason I ended up knitting the leg portion fairly loosly, so I really didn't make gauge.  I think playing around with how I hold my yarn didn't help.  I'm just off by a little bit and hoping that blocking will take care of my dpn transition gaps.  My instep section turned out great, could maybe be a quarter/half in longer.  I'm now more familiar with the heel/instep gap too... so I will know where to pick up an extra stitch next time to close that up.  I am now addicted!  Started the toe-up sock and well on my way!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 12, 2012 11:54 AM

Artyshell, it looks great! Blocking (and wearing) will probably make those little ladders disappear completely. 

How does it feel??

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
artsyshell wrote
on Mar 14, 2012 10:31 PM

Oh they feel great!  I just finished the 2nd sock toe-up... the one on the left (above).  This time I knitted with my normal tension and I got much better results. 

I have to say after trying both.. there are parts to toe-up and top down that I like and don't like.  I definitely like the look of the toe itself better on the toe-up and I like the cast-on edge better on the top-down.  Next time I do top-down I think I will finish with the kitchener stich instead of 3 needle bind-off (right sock above)... and maybe try a different cast-on .. just for fun! :)

That was a lot of fun.. maybe i'll try a different sock in this KAL!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
gentsmom wrote
on Mar 15, 2012 9:15 AM

Your socks look great, Artsyshell!  I agree about closing the toe - I think I'll like a grafted toe better than three-needle bind-off.  When I am done with my Up + Down sicks, I think I'll try the cabled socks.  Which are you going to try?

Susan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
artsyshell wrote
on Mar 15, 2012 10:41 AM

Thanks Susan!  I'm not sure which one I'll do next.  I have a fun variegatedyarn I'd like to make socks out of... so maybe the go-to socks... I don't want the cables to get lost, especially with all the concentration they'll take on small needles! LOL :) 

I just may have to buy a solid yarn though for the cable socks, since they are so pretty.

~ michelle

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 15, 2012 12:07 PM

Your socks look stunning!

artsyshell:
I have to say after trying both.. there are parts to toe-up and top down that I like and don't like.  I definitely like the look of the toe itself better on the toe-up and I like the cast-on edge better on the top-down.  

You know, I completely agree. I liked the results of the cast-ons in each direction better than the bind-offs in the same direction! I wanted to offer an option for people who really didn't want to use a tapestry needle to bind off either at the toe or the cuff. There is a nice sewn bind-off (commonly known as Elizabeth Zimmermann's Sewn Bind-off) that gives a little more elastic edge at the cuff, if you want to try that.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
artsyshell wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 2:47 PM

Ooo!  I'll have to try the sewn bind-off!  Thanks for the tip. 

Now that I have completely gone bananas and bought a bunch of yarn for sock making, I'm going to head over to the 'go to socks' KAL.  And when my very pretty solid yarn arrives in the mail, I'll join you all in the cable sock! 

Can't wait to see the finished sock pics.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
MeganH wrote
on Mar 22, 2012 5:50 PM

Sorry for not seeming to join in for a while. My daughter has been ill so I haven't been doing any knitting, or anything else much for that matter. But she is on the mend now so everything else is back on track.

Got a real push on and knitted both socks down the heel. I have never done a short row heel, and within two rows of starting I realised I should have chosen a lighter colour so I could more easily see what I was doing. Oh well, live and learn. The first heel I got part way through and had to unravel. Then I got about two-thirds through and painstakingly unknitted to about the halfway mark. Things went more smoothly then, and the second heel flew off the needles with little trouble. I got so enthusiastic I orderd some more top in a different colourway, spun that up and have almost got down to both heels so I can practice the short row heels again. By Monday I should be on to the feet of all four socks.

Anyway, here is the first sock with the heel. The top is Terrigal from Virginia Farm Woolworks, just outside Sydney, NSW, Australia. The colours aren't showing up terribly well, but my son calls them seasocks.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
LynnA@11 wrote
on Mar 25, 2012 9:13 PM

Ok, it's taken far too many days, but I finally got it on Thursday! I woke up and it had jelled in my brain during the night, so I re-started on the first toe Thursday morning, and it worked! I'm done with toe #2 this evening and putting them on circs for two at a time. I love these toes. Now that I get it, I think I'll do them again and again, because I love how they look, and I'm assuming they'll wear well, being garter st, and they're oh, so squishy!

Now I have to figure out how to post pics...

Thank you, again, for this pattern and the help you've given.

Lynn

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS