This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 24, 2012 7:40 PM

Join us as we knit Angela Davis's Custom Cuff Socks from Simply Sockupied!

Here's how a knit-along works:

1. Buy your pattern (in Simply Sockupied, through the app store for the iPad version or through the Knitting Daily Shop for the Mac or PC version).
  2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash).
  3. Introduce yourself below and tell us which yarn you're using. This is where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.
  4. Post a photo of your finished socks when you're done.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
douar wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 8:43 PM

Hello!

I'm Aristi, a newbie knitter, and I have wanted for quite some time to join a KAL and begin knitting my first sock! I might regret choosing this pattern (and the simply elegant cable socks), but I tend to sort of go for the trickiest patterns - I have learned a lot this way through trial and error (I'm more into learning than into having a perfect piece of clothing - at least for now! - truth is I am pretty happy with my results! :))

So, I am very, very excited! For both pairs, I will be using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn in Bold Red (80% superwash merino, 20%nylon) - superfine weight

I don't think I will be doing colorwork for this sock, and I will do the Arrowhead Lace Cuff - all in one color. Waiting for my yarn and needles to arrive in the mail, so haven't started just yet!

I live in Athens, Greece. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 3:18 PM

Welcome! Mmm, red socks...

Not Ranked
Posts 8
donabell wrote
on Mar 10, 2012 10:50 AM

Hi , My name is Dona and I will be making the custom cuff socks, also.  I have a pretty Poems Socks from Wisdom Yarns . The color is called Pulsar...it is purple.  I am getting ready to cast on....  :) 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
donabell wrote
on Mar 14, 2012 6:44 PM

I am getting ready to start the heel on my Striped cuff sock and I would like to make it look like the cuff.... Is this easy to do? For my stripe I used a yarn from Tofutsies. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 15, 2012 12:02 PM

donabell:

I am getting ready to start the heel on my Striped cuff sock and I would like to make it look like the cuff.... Is this easy to do? For my stripe I used a yarn from Tofutsies. 

It's certainly doable! You might omit the part about slipping stitches across the RS row and just slip the first stitch of every row, because the double thickness of yarn would create the same reinforcement. It might make the heel flap a little wider.

The tricky part might be the edges. You'd probably want to keep both edges in your main color so that when you pick up for the gusset it looks symmetrical, so you might want to use an odd number of stitches in the heel. (Just borrow an extra one from the instep, and when you begin the heel turn you'll have to tweak the stitch count.)

Try catching the contrast-color yarn with the edge stitch when you turn to work back. (I'll try to work up a swatch to show you what I mean...)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 15, 2012 5:59 PM

So I worked a little bitty swatch and discovered another reason you can't do the slipped stitch all the way across if you're also using 2 yarns: Because if you slip all the gray stitches on one row, then the yarn's on the opposite edge when you turn back. (Embarrassed that I didn't think of that before I tried it!) But it does make a nice heel.

I would definitely work if over an odd number of stitches so the edges can stay in the main color. I couldn't really tell whether catching the CC yarn with the MC yarn before starting a new row made any difference. Please report back!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
donabell wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 2:41 PM

Before I read your reply I started the heel with the slipped stich and carrying the yarn behind my work , it was very tight and thick.  So took that out......saw what you wrote and started again.. It is great now and symmetrical  with the odd number of stitches. Yea! I'm thinking the toe should be striped , too? :)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
donabell wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 2:48 PM

Oh, I can't tell if it makes a difference with catching the cc yarn with the mc yarn at the beginning of the rows. I suppose I'll find out when I do the gusset? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 2:49 PM

That would be terrific! You'll have some visible lines where you decrease for the toe, and again it would probably look best to have an odd number so that the decrease lines are in the same color along each side.

I think I might do it this way: Slip an extra stitch to the top of the foot so that you start and end with the same color. Knit 1, ssk (the second color of the row will "dominate"), knit stripes to 3 sts before the end, k2tog (the same color will "dominate"), k1, k1 with the other color, k1 with the color that dominated on the front, ssk with the other color, knit to 3 from the end, k2tog with the other color, knit the last st of the row with the color that "dominated" on the top.

This would give you 2 more stitches on the top than the bottom, so you'd have to work 1 more decrease on the top than the bottom to give you the same number on the top & bottom (for grafting purposes).

Hooray! I'm so excited that you're making these even more custom.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
donabell wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 4:41 PM

Thanks so much ....I will give it a go when I get there.....!! 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
donabell wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 4:41 PM

Thanks so much ....I will give it a go when I get there.....!! 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
donabell wrote
on Mar 24, 2012 8:19 AM

Hi again,  got side tracked for a few days......but back at my sock..... The heel looks just like I hoped ,gusset is coming along. I always have a hole at the corner of picking up the stitches and the instep...I always have to weave a mend when the sock is done . What am I doing to cause this? I feel like I have tried everything.   I knit socks using the magic loop method.   I would love to knit a pair of Authentic Victorian socks next. :)  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 26, 2012 1:23 PM

donabell:
I always have a hole at the corner of picking up the stitches and the instep...I always have to weave a mend when the sock is done .

That little hole is just about the most persistent sock-knitting pest there is!

One thing Ann Budd recommends is to pick up another stitch (as M1) between the gusset and the instep. Sometimes I even M1 in the row below: twist the second ladder down, pull the first ladder through it, and then knit that stitch.

Sometimes after I'm finished with the sock I go back and tug on the other stitches on that instep row to even out the yarn distribution a little bit. You can also try to knit the stitches that will be at the edge very tightly at the beginning of the heel flap.

Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
lovebear wrote
on May 7, 2012 11:42 AM

To avoid that pesky hole look at how you place those last =stitches and see if there is a hole if there is rework that stitch so that a hole is not visible.  the pattern may call for you to pick up 15/16 stitches I pick up more if needed.  Then I knit 2/3 rounds before I start the decrease this pulls the threads in.  Try It -  I work this way all of the time and it WORKS!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS