This post has 41 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 24, 2012 7:41 PM

Join us as we knit Judy Alexander's Simply Elegant Cable Socks from Simply Sockupied!

Here's how a knit-along works:

1. Buy your pattern (in Simply Sockupied, through the app store for the iPad version or through the Knitting Daily Shop for the Mac or PC version).
  2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash).
  3. Introduce yourself below and tell us which yarn you're using. This is where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.
  4. Post a photo of your finished socks when you're done.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
jneen81128 Tongue Tied [:S] wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 6:13 PM

Okay... I chose the sock, I found a Noro Kureyon in my stash. But, after downloading the eMag and sitting in front of this computer for hours...literally HOURS!... I can't find the pattern to start this sock. I do see the list of materials and the gauge so maybe I'll start a gauge swatch. Ugh! What am I doing wrong?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 6:18 PM

Oh no! We didn't mean for them to be secret... :)

If you scroll down to the bottom of the 3rd page, there's a button that says "Pattern PDF." If you click (or tap) it, the pattern should appear. (Depending on your computer's settings it might ask you where to save it or automatically save it into a downloads folder.)

I hope that helps!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
jneen81128 Confused [8-)] wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 6:32 PM

seee....all it took was for me to swallow my pride and ask for help! And it was, just as I suspected, right in front of me! Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
douar wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 8:44 PM

Hello!

I'm Aristi, a newbie knitter, and I have wanted for quite some time to join a KAL and begin knitting my first sock! I might regret choosing this pattern (and the custom cuff socks), but I tend to sort of go for the trickiest patterns - I have learned a lot this way through trial and error (I'm more into learning than into having a perfect piece of clothing - at least for now! - truth is I am pretty happy with my results! :))

So, I am very, very excited! For both pairs, I will be using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn in Bold Red (80% superwash merino, 20%nylon) - superfine weight

Waiting for my yarn and needles to arrive in the mail, so haven't started just yet!

I live in Athens, Greece. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
PattySue8 wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 7:51 PM

Hello everyone,  I have gotten through the twisted rib part of the sock and done the increase.  I just haven't figured out when to do the cable twist described on page 3.  Will it just become apparent once you've started the cable pattern?

Im using Tofutsies yarn.  It is a50percent super wash wool, 25 percent soy silk, 22.5 percent cotton and 2.5 percent chitin.  I bought it about a year ago for the color and knew I wanted to knit a pair of socks with it just was worried about the gusset as I have only knitted 2 pair socks.  I saw this and decide it was time to get started.  I'm really excited about doing this.

I watched the video on Nancy Bush doing the Estonian cast on and tried it.  I really like how it looks

Not Ranked
Posts 4
jneen81128 wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 8:28 PM

Hi Aristi!

Has your Lorna's Laces yard arrived? and have you started your sock?

I took my daughter with me to the yarn store today. She picked out a chuncky  yarn in bold red for a shawl (usually in July, we pick a project for me to knit for her October birthday).

I love the colors in the sock I'm knitting but I can't wait to start knitting with this beautiful red colored yarn!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:23 PM

PattySue8:
I just haven't figured out when to do the cable twist described on page 3.  Will it just become apparent once you've started the cable pattern?

Hi, PattySue8!

You work the cable twist on Row 4 of the Cable Rib pattern, which begins on the next round after the increase. Have you reached that point yet? Holler if you need help!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
PattySue8 wrote
on Mar 8, 2012 9:45 PM

I'm moving right along on the cable pattern and it looks good.  Thanks for the response.  I'll post a picture in a couple of days.  I have used 3 don as that makes it easier for me to keep tabs on the pattern when I get to the heel flap I'll follow directions on how many stitches to have on each needle

Patty

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 9, 2012 3:35 PM

Hi, I'm Lori.

I just finished the Go To Socks and am working on the first cable sock. I love the cable pattern. I'm using Angelic 100% Merino yarn, machine washable, Color #F426, Lot 003. Here's a pic of what I have done so far. I'm knitting on two US 1, 24 inch circular needles.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
gentsmom wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 6:30 PM

Pretty!  I'm making a pair of Up + Down socks now, but I want to try the Simply Elegant Cable Socks when I am done.

Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Mar 17, 2012 12:23 PM

Hello, everyone!  I'm Mary. 

Like Lori, I just finished the Go To socks, which were my first pair of socks ever!  Last evening, I began knitting the Simply Elegant Cable Socks.  I've knitted items with cables before, but never such small ones, nor were they done in the round using 5 dpn.  Also, knitting in the back of stitches is new to me. 

I have 2 questions.  1) Does anyone have a tip on how to pick up/repair a dropped stitch when that stitch was knitted in the back?  2) I noticed an increase in the spacing between stitches at the point when I switch to the next needle.  Will this disappear when the socks are blocked? 

BTW, I'm using Supersocke 100 yarn, and the color is Flower Color.  Thus far, I'm loving the yarn and the color pattern.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 17, 2012 2:26 PM

Hi Mary,

I love the flower color yarn, it's really pretty. I don't know about picking up the dropped stitch that was knit in back. For the space in between the needles, I snug up the yarn on that first stitch between needles when I'm on the 2nd stitch. But this may not be the preferred way. I also use 5 inch DPN's for socks when I use DPN's.

For these socks, I'm using two circulars. I'm at the heel flap now and it was a real challenge to figure out how to redistribute the stitches per the pattern on the circs. I think these socks run really small. I tried on the leg so far and it is stretched to the max on my leg. I used the 70 st CO. For other socks with no pattern, I usually knit 64 CO and it fits fine. So, for the 2nd sock, I'm going to go up to the next size CO.

When you get to the heel, you have to start doing p1tbl (purl one through the back loop). I couldn't remember how to do this, so found this You Tube that is helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snwkbZr9WbM

I did it wrong at first before I decided to look it up and had to tink back a couple of rows.

On to the heel flap now :)

-Lori

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Mar 18, 2012 2:15 PM

Lori,

Thank you for the YouTube link for p1tbl.  Looks like I better learn to knit looser than I have been!  This video will be very helpful!

I thought that the leg on my sock looked small.  I wonder someone knows a way to add some stitches to the leg without throwing off the look of the pattern.  I've knit about 4 inches from the CO, and would hate to tear them out and start over.  Besides, I'm knitting the largest size (my CO was 80 stitches) so I've no other options within the pattern.  Since these are only my 2nd pair of socks, I'm a little hesitant to play around with the pattern without some guidance. 

I still love my yarn and I think the pattern is simply beautiful.  I love the effect of knitting through the back.  It really makes things stand out from the background.  Also, the little cables are so sweet!

Good luck with the heel flap! 

Mary

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 1:29 AM

Finished the first cable sock. It was a lot of work!! A couple of things about the pattern, when you're picking up stitches along the heel flap, the pattern says to pick up and knit the slipped stitches, but there are no instrux to slip stitches prior to this. So you will need to wing it and pick up stitches along the flap. I picked up 19 on each side which is the regular amount I pick up from my favorite sock pattern. This pattern doesn't specify a number of stitches to pickup.

When I got to the decreases for the toe, I was still carrying the 72 stitches per pattern instrux. I was knitting on two circs and had 40 stitches on the front needle and 32 on the back. So I had to even those out to work the toe decreases. It turned out okay. It's really pretty and I learned a lot from knitting it. I have to take a break and knit something mindless however, before I knit the 2nd cable sock.

Here are the pics

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS