Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 11:25 AM

leelori12:
when you're picking up stitches along the heel flap, the pattern says to pick up and knit the slipped stitches, but there are no instrux to slip stitches prior to this.

You are absolutely right! I'm afraid you've found an error in the pattern... I'll work on getting it corrected. Thanks for your eagle eye.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 11:39 AM

mpn68:
I thought that the leg on my sock looked small.  I wonder someone knows a way to add some stitches to the leg without throwing off the look of the pattern. 

The cables do pull in a lot, so you'll really want to try it on before making a decision about the sizing.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 12:05 PM

mpn68:
1) Does anyone have a tip on how to pick up/repair a dropped stitch when that stitch was knitted in the back?

When I recover each stitch that was dropped, I place it on the needle (or crochet hook) in its clockwise-twisted orientation, then pull up the loop from the next row through it. 

mpn68:
2) I noticed an increase in the spacing between stitches at the point when I switch to the next needle.  Will this disappear when the socks are blocked? 

It will probably diminish (especially on the cuff), though it may not go away completely unless you go through manually and adjust the stitches around it to even them out. The way to avoid ladders like this is to knit the first stitch or two on a new needle more tightly than usual--not enough to cut off your circulation, but enough to keep plenty of tension on those transition stitches. In the twisted rib pattern, any space should be less noticeable than usual.

I hope that helps! Keep us posted.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 6:11 PM

Lori,

Your sock looks fabulous!   You are an inspiration!  The leg of my sock measures only 7" so I have a bit more to knit before the heel flap.  Thank you for such thoughtful suggestions/corrections.  I know they will make things much easier for me. 

Enjoy your mindless knitting!  Sometimes there is nothing like it. 

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 6
douar wrote
on Mar 20, 2012 8:52 AM

jneen81128:

Hi Aristi!

Has your Lorna's Laces yard arrived? and have you started your sock?

I took my daughter with me to the yarn store today. She picked out a chuncky  yarn in bold red for a shawl (usually in July, we pick a project for me to knit for her October birthday).

I love the colors in the sock I'm knitting but I can't wait to start knitting with this beautiful red colored yarn!

Hi! :) The yarn just came in the mail yesterday! It is so soft and bright and RED, I love it!! I can't wait to begin knitting my socks with it! Hopefully, I'll be able to cast on tomorrow! I guess I'm a bit behind from what I am reading, but I hope to catch up!

Aristi

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Mar 20, 2012 1:36 PM

Aristi,

I'm glad you love the yarn.  I would think this pattern would be fabulous in RED.  I look forward to seeing your progress.  I plan to begin the heel flap today. 

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 9:26 AM

Anne Merrow:

leelori12:
when you're picking up stitches along the heel flap, the pattern says to pick up and knit the slipped stitches, but there are no instrux to slip stitches prior to this.

You are absolutely right! I'm afraid you've found an error in the pattern... I'll work on getting it corrected. Thanks for your eagle eye.

Anne,

I am ready to begin the gusset.  It would really help to know how many stitches to pick up on each side for each size.  Lori, for example, knit her sock in the middle size (CO 70); I am knitting mine in the largest size.  Lori picked up 19 stitches on each side of the gusset.  Is there a formula to know how many I should pick up?  (Or for that matter, that someone else should pick up for the smallest size?)

Of course, said differently, can you tell me how many total stitches should be on the needles when we are done picking up stitches for the gusset?

Thank you for all your assistance!

Mary

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:22 AM

mpn68:
Is there a formula to know how many I should pick up? 

Mary,

Good question! Some patterns will tell you exactly how many stitches to pick up, but those patterns are also asking you to knit the heel flap for a certain number of rows. This pattern has you knit the heel flap for length, which means some people might have worked more rows than others. (Alternatively, some knitters with high arches might have worked a longer heel flap, so they'd need to pick up more stitches.)

As you deduced, there is a rule of thumb: You usually pick up 1 stitch on each edge for every 2 rows worked on the heel flap. An easier way to do this might be to count the number of slipped stitches (which are longer) and pick up that many stitches along each edge.

For instance... On the largest size sock, the suggested heel flap length is 2.5". If you worked Rows 2 and 3 a total of 16 times, you'd pick up 16 stitches along the first edge, work across the held stitches for the instep, and pick up 16 stitches along the other edge.

However, it's more important to pick up enough stitches to prevent gaps along the edges than it is to pick up an exact number. If you pick up 16 stitches and the edge looks like it has lots of holes, then go back and pick up more stitches. Many knitters also pick up an extra stitch (or work M1) between the edge of the heel flap and the instep. This is all to prevent holes. Just make sure there's the same number of stitches on both edges.

Because the number of stitches you'll pick up is individual, the number of decrease rounds (in the next step) is up to you, too. You'll decrease away until you have the same number of stitches that you did for the ankle.

Does that help? Yell if it doesn't make sense.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 4:41 PM

Thanks, Anne.  I really appreciate your thoughtful and detailed reply.  I've printed it out to refer to as I go along.  I think your response will help a great deal.

Next question is regarding the slip stitches along the heel flap.  I'd like to make the 2nd sock with the slip stitches included.  Since there isn't any instruction in the pattern to create them, how would I modify the pattern to include them?  (Does that make sense?)

Mary

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 26, 2012 1:58 PM

mpn68:
Next question is regarding the slip stitches along the heel flap.  I'd like to make the 2nd sock with the slip stitches included.  Since there isn't any instruction in the pattern to create them, how would I modify the pattern to include them?  (Does that make sense?)

Working slipped stitches along the edge of a heel flap can make it so much easier to pick up stitches, though it will change the look of the heel a little bit.

To work slipped stitches along the edge in this pattern, you'd start on Row 1 of Heel Flap for your size. 

Row 1: (WS) Instead of working K3, slip 1 stitch purlwise with yarn in front (meaning on the side you're working), k2, then work to the end as written.

Row 2: (RS) Slip 1 stitch purlwise with yarn in back (the side away from you), k2, then work to the end as written.

Slipping first stitch of the row will make a longer stitch that looks like a chain stitch, and when it's time to pick up stitches along the edges you can judt pick up one stitch in each of those long stitches.

Does that make sense? I hope your socks are going well.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
mpn68 wrote
on Apr 1, 2012 9:02 AM

Anne, I plan to practice making the SS change on a practice swatch.  Thank you for the instructions.

FYI, I just ordered a 2nd skein of yarn to complete my socks.  I was knitting them in the largest size.  I made these adjustments to fit me: I  reduced the leg length by 1/2 inch but increased the heel flap by 1/2 inch.  Otherwise, I stayed true to the instructions.  My yarn is Supersocke 100 Flower Color #1337 (100 grams, 420 meters=approx. 460 yards).  

I love the pattern; I think the socks are beautiful.  When I knit it again, I'll reduce the leg length to accomodate my foot. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
GeniaPotter wrote
on Apr 1, 2012 1:59 PM

2) When avoiding ladders, i have never been able to tighten the first stitch enough - per the incomparable Cat Bordhi, tighten the first TWO stitches - that'll hold it every time.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
MeganH wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 6:53 AM

Great colours, and the cable pattern looks so good with them, like ripples. Can't wait to see these finished.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
MeganH wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 6:58 AM

Hello, just slipped sideways from the Up Down Socks. Having not done short row heels for those, I'm now having a go at these because I have never cabled before. Socks are such great little items for trying new things - not daunting in size, and quite gratifying to make. I have a beautifully variegated purple handspun for these that I spun up today while watching The Fellowship of the Ring. And I have a dear friend who loves purple in all its shades, so these will be for her. Can't wait to cast on tomorrow.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
The Jacker wrote
on Apr 18, 2012 9:44 AM

I just love YouTube! Thank you- that was the perfect reminder!

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS