Intro:

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:21 AM

Hello all,

I'm Deb.  I am a 2 pair at a time, from the toe up, magic loop knitter.  Though I can do the same technique from the top down.

Have yet to read through the patterns or decide on which of the many balls of yarn will be used in this project.  Hope to firm these decisions up before tonight. For myself, I am a non-wool yarn only knitter, but I'm thinking this pair of socks may become a gift for a friend.

Hope to figure out how to eliminate the holes at the heels that develop when I have poor luck with wrapped stitches.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:53 AM

The holes can sometimes come from the wrapped stitches being loose (rather than the wraps themselves). You might try using smaller needles along the sides of the short-row sections?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
TANGLETWIST Star [*] wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 11:42 AM

Help please! As a knitter who has wanted to try socks for a long time but hasn't yet I was very happy to see this new Simply Sockupied EMag and the accompanying KALs. I want to join in but have a few questions:

1) Of the five sock patterns and KALs planned, are they running concurrently so that we need to choose which pattern to begin with?

2) If they are running at the same time, what does each pattern offer as an emphasis in teaching as compared with the others? I suppose for a new sock knitter it would be best to start with the simplest.

3) If they are not running at the same tie then I assume the firt KAL to join is Ann's Go-To Socks?

4) Will the KKALs be open and running long enough for us to ultimately work sll five sock patterns? 

5) During the KALs will we be be required to use one type of needle or will we be taught according to several possible methods? I don't like DPNs and would prefer to learn using either Magic Loop or two circulars. If possible, I would like to try doing two socks at one time on Magic Loop.

I guess that covers my initial questions to clarify what I do next to make choices and plan to start ... Thanks for help in clearing up my confusion!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 11:55 AM

Dear Tangletwist: 

Here are your answers... in order!

1. All of the knit-alongs are running at the same time.

2. Ann's Go-To Socks are the most straightforward and teach the basics of a classic sock: top-down, with a flap-and-gusset heel, wedge toe, and closed with Kitchener stitch. (This may not make sense now, but you'll come to them!)  

3. Right now the biggest group is working Ann's Go-To Socks, so you'll probably find the most company there!

4. There isn't an end date scheduled for this, so you can knit at your own pace. However, these things have a life of their own, so if most people have finished then there might be a little less company here. :)

5. The patterns in the issue are mostly written with details for dpns, but you can use any needles you like. If you want to learn Magic Loop, check out Kathleen's post, The Magical Magic Loop. Whatever method you use, the socks should come out the same in the end!

-Anne 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
TANGLETWIST Star [*] wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 9:48 AM

Hi Anne, thanks so much for the quick response.  I will take your advice and start with the Ann's Go-To Socks as that makes the most sense.  I hope these KALs run a good long time so we might have the opportunity to make more than one pattern, this is such a good concept for learning.  Again, thanks so much

BTW, just FYI ... when I made the first post here I clicked on the "email me" option at the top but I received no email about your reply.  I also had the box checked under the composer "Email me replies to this post."  When I looked at the top, the option "Email Me When Someone Replies" option was still available so I clicked it again and it then offered the "stop emailing" option.  I don't know why it didn't hold the first time.  Don't know if it is a forum glitch or what...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 2:28 PM

TANGLETWIST:
BTW, just FYI ... when I made the first post here I clicked on the "email me" option at the top but I received no email about your reply.  I also had the box checked under the composer "Email me replies to this post."  When I looked at the top, the option "Email Me When Someone Replies" option was still available so I clicked it again and it then offered the "stop emailing" option.  I don't know why it didn't hold the first time.  Don't know if it is a forum glitch or what...

Huh! I'll pass it along to the technical gurus. I don't see the option at the top that you mention, and I got this reply!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS