Choosing the right pattern to go with my yarn!

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
luvstakwilt wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 1:41 PM

ok I have hit my first dilema as I have just joined the sock KAL.  I love the looks of the cable socks.  I would really appreciate input regarding this pattern and the yarn I have to make my KAL  socks out of.  My yarn is a multi color.  I am not sure whether I should call it verigated or if it is self patterning.  How do you think a multi colored yarn will work with this cable pattern?  I am concerned that the multi color might hide the cable look.  What do you think?  Thanks for your help and happy knitting to you.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 190
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 7:08 PM

luvstakwilt:
How do you think a multi colored yarn will work with this cable pattern?  I am concerned that the multi color might hide the cable look.  What do you think?

I'd have the same worry. If the yarn has a lot of contrast, the cables might not show up against the fabric. Then again, you might enjoy the effect you get. You could use your gauge swatch to see?

One option might be to start working the cuff in your yarn and see how you like it. If you think the yarn is too bold to show off the pattern, then you could switch to the Up + Down socks for this yarn. Ann Budd's Go-To Socks are also really good for strongly colored yarn. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS