Tatoos on your models

This post has 32 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 3 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
violetta40 wrote
on Apr 14, 2012 3:33 PM

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, but I cannot find how to contact the editors of knitscene magazine. Hopefully they will read this. I recently purchased the summer/june 2012 knitscene magazine. I am very disappointed in your choice of models. This model should never have appeared wearing anything that would show off her tatoos.  On the second page you have a model with tatoos, up and down both arms. Again she is shown on page 19. Then on page 20, she has a huge tatoo on the back of her arm. I cannot understand how the photographers  and editors of this beautiful magazine would allow this, what were you thinking?  These tatoos take away from the beauty of the garmet. They are very distracting, and tasteless. If you cannot cover them up, please show another model. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MayaE wrote
on May 2, 2012 4:24 PM

I totally agree with this comment. I know that many people in and outside the knitting community today find tattoos cool and fashionable, but there are also many people who don't see them so positively or who just don't like them at all. When I see models with tattoos on your magazine pages, the first thing I see is the weird tattoos they have and I have a hard time getting over how they don't blend well with the colors of the projects. I don't care if the models you use have tattoos, but I'd rather not see them. I didn't realize how cute the top on page 39 was for a long time. I just kept seeing the models tattoo every time I looked at that page. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 3, 2012 3:14 PM

So because some people do not like tatoos it means there should be no models who have tatoos?  Because some people do not like the fact that most models are built like toothpicks, there should be no slim models?  Because not everyone buys a  Ford truck, there should be no Ford trucks built or advertised?

You are the ones who also have the mentality that racial predjudices are also right.  That the only "good" people here on earth are the ones who line up with your points of view.  How egotistical can you be?  How morally wrong you are!  You think because someone has a tatoo they should not have a job working in their area of expertise? 

No, I do not have a tatoo.  But I do believe in fair employment practices and not just loud mouth talk for the sake of driviling on.  Too many people yak their mouths off without even realizing what they are saying.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ShelleyS@3 wrote
on May 3, 2012 4:11 PM

I absolutely LOVE the models they have for all of the "Knit" magazines .. That is a huge reason I continue to subscribe to it... They are gorgeous, real women, children and men... They reflect every walk of life, ethnic background, size.   I am only sorry it took a post from someone who isn't very open minded for me to come on and post what I have been thinking about this lovely publication for years!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
arakhmet wrote
on May 4, 2012 9:30 AM

Dear Zoe, thank you for your comment. I absolutely agree with your point! I have tatoos and I do not care if some people think that they are "tasteless"! If people start thinking what takes away from the beautiful garment, then you should also think of people with "imperfect" bodies or "wrong" coloring of hair that does not go with the color of the garment... Where is the reality in all this? The world is full of different shapes, colors and tastes. So, ladies, get over this. And think if you yourselves are "perfect" to be albe to judge.

Apologies for my imperfect English, since it is not my native tongue, but I simply could not ignore those other comments.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 4, 2012 9:51 AM

arakhmet:

Dear Zoe, thank you for your comment. I absolutely agree with your point! I have tatoos and I do not care if some people think that they are "tasteless"! If people start thinking what takes away from the beautiful garment, then you should also think of people with "imperfect" bodies or "wrong" coloring of hair that does not go with the color of the garment... Where is the reality in all this? The world is full of different shapes, colors and tastes. So, ladies, get over this. And think if you yourselves are "perfect" to be albe to judge.

Apologies for my imperfect English, since it is not my native tongue, but I simply could not ignore those other comments.

You are alright as you are!!  If more people would stop being narrow-minded about the differences in others, this world would be a much better, peaceful place to live in.  Some cultures actually see tatoos as a work of beauty and art.  There is nothing wrong with beauty and art.  Some things are not suitable for everyone, but everyone needs to accept every one else's choices.  Tolerance is what is needed and what so much of the countries base their democracy on.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 4, 2012 10:36 AM

I can appreciate the point that the purpose of a photo is to showcase the garment and feature the designer, and somethings in a photo can be distracting from this purpose.  However, your wording of your post seems to indicate that you find tatoos distasteful and would rather not see them at all.

I think you would be amazed at the number of people in the younger generations who have tatoos these days.  I think Knitscene magazine is doing a wonderful job of reaching  a younger generation of knitters.  While I can see a point in how a great deal of body art can be distracting, perhaps Knitscene just isn't your cup of tea.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
dawgfan wrote
on May 4, 2012 10:47 AM

But they do have the right to their opinion and should be able to express it without being called racist or egotistical.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jeanjeanie wrote
on May 4, 2012 11:25 AM

I love tattoos BUT I did get distracted by them in this issue. And at the end of the day you are selling a product. And I think that when it distracts from selling your product there is a problem. If you have models with tattoos make sure they don't distract from the garment. I will love to see more ladies showing off their tats but please make it less distracting.  I noticed that the model has a moon tattoo and off the top of my head I have no idea what she is modeling. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Doro Kay wrote
on May 5, 2012 9:12 PM

First of all, folks, let's learn how to spell: it's tattoo.  Second, I don't care for tattoos and find them tasteless, however I respect every person's right to have as many as they want.  I don't like to see them on models wearing beautiful handmade garments, though.  A model is like a blank canvas on which a beautiful picture is painted, the garment being the picture.  I don't want the canvas all marked up with designs and, in some cases, colors. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
RhondaP@4 wrote
on May 7, 2012 8:01 AM

Just putting in a vote ---- I love the diversity I see in Interweave Knits, tattoos and all. The younger generation is knitting and I think it's great to see so many different kinds of lifestyles represented here. Keep it up!

Rhonda

Not Ranked
Posts 3
bennettdeb wrote
on May 7, 2012 10:53 AM

Shelley, I'm with you. I am pleased with the reality of the models used. Well said.

Deb

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jen@148 wrote
on May 7, 2012 11:32 AM

This kind of mentality is exhausting to me--the idea that everything you see should reflect your own sensibilities, and that anything you find tasteless should be hidden from your view.

If tattoos are truly so offensive to you (although why you would take such an extreme view of the millions are diverse people with tattoos is a mystery to me), then the answer would seem to be to move on to a magazine more in line with your specific aesthetic.

Of course, if someone is so easily distracted that they can't see past a model's tattoos to appreciate a garment, I'm not sure how to fix that.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
RachelL@11 wrote
on May 7, 2012 11:34 AM

I totally agree with Rhonda.  As a knitter with a few tattoos I appreciate seeing them on the models in Interweave mags.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
dawgfan wrote
on May 7, 2012 11:48 AM

The tattoos in the magazine do not bother me at all.  I think that it's great that the magazine is reaching out to young knitters!  I just think that people should be able to express their own opinions with out being personally attacked. 

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS