Thumb Gusset

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Lora Clare wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 6:57 PM

I'm making a pair of fingerless mitts (kind of, no fingers but there is a thumb and I'm going to make them convertible....) with a KAL, but the person who is supposed to be posting the pattern each week is currently involved in some personal family issues I guess. I'm up to the thumb. I don't know how to do a thumb gusset. If someone thinks they could help that would be pretty much amazing!

I'm using size one needles and there are 64 stitches. 

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

~Lora

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Jill34 wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 2:42 PM

There are a few ways you could do a thumb. If you need an actual "thumb gusset", this isn't it, but it is my favorite method, and it's very easy and tidy. All it requires is a piece of waste yarn (in an alternate color to your real yarn), and double pointed needles.

Knit however many stitches across you need the thumb to be in a piece of waste yarn, and then slip the stitches back to your right needle and knit them again in your regular yarn. Then, after you finish the rest of the glove, you go back and pick out the waste yarn, pick up the live stitches, and knit the thumb. Since the live stitches are from above and below the waste yarn, you'll have twice as many stitches as you knit in the waste yarn. It helps to pick up and knit two stitches on each side of the thumb, between the above-stitches and the below-stitches.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Lora Clare wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 6:47 PM

Oooohh! That sounds so much simpler than having to do a thumb gusset...

Thank you! But now I have a new question. How do I know how many stitches I need for the half a thumb bit?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Jill34 wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 7:02 AM

I use however many reach across my thumb. Then, when I pick up the rest of the stitches, it fits around my thumb. So, however many you need to cover your thumb, one dimesionally. For example, if I'm making a forty-stitch glove, I knit seven stitches in waste yarn. This is then 14 stitches after I unravel the waste yarn, and 16 or 18 after I pick up a few stitches on the sides.

Hope that helps!

I think there's a pattern on knitty.com called "fetching" that explains this.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Lora Clare wrote
on Oct 4, 2008 8:29 PM

Thanks! I'll have to look that up...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Lora Clare wrote
on Oct 6, 2008 2:11 PM

Thanks! I did find the Knitty pattern, and decided I'd have to try it so I could fully understand this new skill! lol. and it would make a convenient birthday gift for a friend. :D That's a pretty cool way to make a thumb! I like it. 

Thank you for helping me out so much!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS