Help with choosing a size for a man's cable knit aran sweater

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
catseye27 wrote
on May 18, 2012 1:08 PM

Hi there,

I'm brand new to this site and I'm so glad to have found it!  I have been knitting for years but am now about to begin knitting an aran cable knit pattern for a man's jumper.

I'm stuck at the very start i.e. choosing the correct size.  The chest size I need is 48", but the pattern's largest size is 44-46" with a finished size of 55 inches.  55 inches as the finished size will be far too big, so I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me what to do next!  The next size down on the pattern is 40-42" chest/finished size  50.5 ins - is this the size I should go for (i.e. it would include an 'ease' in the sizing)?

Any / all assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I'm now off to hunt for other patterns for grumpy men!

Thank you,

Catseye27

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 729
salmonmac wrote
on May 18, 2012 5:20 PM

It depends on what look you want for the sweater. Aran knits are usually worn quite loose. I'd say the larger size seems better because 2" ease isn't really very much but that's up to you. Why not try a gauge swatch and see how that factors into the sweater. You may knit tighter or looser than the gauge in the pattern and that may change the size you will make.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
catseye27 wrote
on May 19, 2012 5:51 AM

Thank you for your help.  I agree 2" ease isn't a whole lot, but 7" is way too much.  I've just finished the test swatch and the tension is a perfect match with the pattern guidelines.  So I'll just have to take a chance and see how it works out.

Thanks again for your advice!

Catseye27

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS