"Flutter Front" Cardigan

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
auntijoan wrote
on Jun 9, 2012 4:09 PM

I've seen cardigans with the two front edges just hanging - "fluttering", no buttons. In fact I might have seen one or two in Knit a few years ago. What do you call this type of cardigan? Ruffle front? Flutter front? I can't find a pattern not knowing what it's called! It rather looks like a waist-length kimono, with a hanging front, that curls back. I'd like a pattern for sport or DK weight, living in Florida. (Winter was 8 minutes this year! Never had a chance to get out the long velvet skirts!)

All help will be appreciated - even if it's just how to construct the flutterness to knit onto a different cardigan.

Thank you!

Auntijoan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 685
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 10, 2012 5:10 AM

I don't know what the name for these sweaters is either but you could see if either is close to what you want. I searched Ravelry for 'flutter front cardigan' but you could try some variations or try an advanced seach with sport yarn specified.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gathered-front-cardigan

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/design-e---drape-coat-for-girls-and-women

Not Ranked
Posts 3
auntijoan wrote
on Jun 10, 2012 3:06 PM

I'm not sure where to write this, but Thank You very much! That is exactly the style I was looking for! I have to come here  more often!

Thank you again!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
MrBiggs wrote
on Jun 11, 2012 1:13 PM

Hi, I read your request and then happened to see a sweater that might be right. It is called the Minimalist Cardigan by Ruthie Nussbaum; available at interweave. Check it out. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
SusanG@20 wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 4:27 AM

I've heard of them called "waterfall" sweater and "fly away" sweater too.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
auntijoan wrote
on Jun 13, 2012 7:09 PM

Thank you to all of you, for your invaluable advice! This definitely sends me in the right direction!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS