Little Lace Top by Ann E Smith

This post has 42 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Auntdena wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 11:28 AM

I thought I replied to you but I am new at this so I just figured it out Stick out tongue lol Thank you for taking the time to help me it meant a lot to me.

I am going to use a deep wine color or burgundy those are the colors that my friend requested for her daughter . Thank you I did finally figure out the lace pattern if it were a snake it would have bit me :)  The thing now is that I keep ending up with to many stitches. So if you decide to make this could you help me out. I am used to a pattern telling me how many stitches you should have after the decrease and increasing rows. Should I start with 81 and after the 12th row have 93 ? Maybe I am over my head but I am not going to give up. I just had another mini stroke so I need a challenge :) Thank you again have a great day

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Auntdena wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 1:17 PM

Afternoon after going on line I decided to print out the pattern from their site. The pattern that I have I received from a demo at Ben Franklin's Craft store here in Oregon. The pattern I have left a whole lot out of the pattern. Not to mention I was doing the  yo wrong when some one mentioned  yf I decided to look it up on line and watch a video on how they did that stitch . Boy do I feel silly . So by gosh I think I finally got it . thank you again

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 732
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 5:23 PM

Ok, that's helpful. Which size are you making? It really is good when the pattern tells you the stitch number at the end of the row but often, they don't. You can figure it out by counting the number of increases and decreases but it's nice to have the confirmation of the printed number. Let us know which size and we can count the sts.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 10:39 PM

Hi there auntdena, 

What an experience you've been having with this pattern.  When I finally got back here to read, I am so glad to read you are getting it all straightened out.  You shouldn't feel silly.  I admire your perserverence!  I am a bit the same, when I want something badly enough I'll figure it out, get help, make it work, beg - well you get the picture!  ha ha so funny but I am really glad you are getting it done now.  One thing i mention as being very important to me.  I always read the pattern through first to make sure I am understanding it before I frustrate myself.  But then when you did try to work it out, (it was not even your fault cause the pattern is written in error) can still be so annoying and time wasting.  But then you learned something too so it will all be good.  Can't wait to see your finished project.  Wink

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
millyb wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 1:41 AM

Hi Salmonmac,

Yes it is in the side lace panel. When I do row 1 it works out perfectly for the 21 stitches. Then I Purl back. I start row 3 and I have more than 21 stitches stitch. Then again in row 5 I again have more stitches....it seems to be around about 3 each row that I pattern on.  Any ideas????

Regards

Millyb

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 732
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 5:05 AM

OK, 2 things. There's another mistake in the pattern in row 2 where it says ending the last repeat k1. It should read ending the last repeat k2. Thing 2 is make sure that you're doing the yo and the decreases correctly. There are plenty of videos for yo, ssk, k2tog and later you'll need a double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso). If you're sure of these then just ignore thing 2. I also have a small quibble with the pattern. There's no need in row 8 to say ending the last repeat k3 when the repeat already ends with k3. See if this helps. It really is a lovely pattern.

Good luck with it and come back if you run into another problem (i.e. error).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 7:53 PM

There are a few things wrong in the directions to this pattern.  I am hoping you are able to narow them down and work the stitch count out correctly. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
sue196 wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 3:30 PM

Hi Millyb,

Thanks for helping me find this pattern, I've made the second size

From the beginning, border pattern-no problem

lace pattern-row 2 should read K2,*yo,ssk,k1,k2tog,yo, k1*rep to last stitch, k1

lace insert-row 2 should read k1,k2tog,yo,k1,yo,sl1, k1,psso,k1

I did find it a bit confusing, but looking at the picture closely you can see what it's supposed to look like.

I'm used to the right side being the first row too!!

Regards

Sue196

Not Ranked
Posts 13
millyb wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 5:34 PM

Thanks to Sue196 ( an absolute angel)...... I am now knitting this top with a lot of enjoyment.

The pattern has mistakes in it  !!   Talk with Sue and she can sort this out for you.  It was a lot of wasted time and energy trying to sort it out for me.

Its a beautiful top and when the correction is made it knits up a breeze........

Again   THANK  YOU SO MUCH SUE 196

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 7:28 PM

hi millyb

Good for you.  Glad you are finally able to enjoy your knit. 

I feel that a pattern should be published correctly.  Well who wouldn't?.  Nevertheless, there are so many many patterns that are getting purchased and still contain written errors.  Well I guess I am a little sensitive about this but when I spend time to find a pattern or mag or book and then spend $ it should already be correctly written & published!   That could be the reason why, when I read about the many corrections going on in some KAL's, I hesitate.  It is mind boggling that the pattern is not corrected before it's put up for a kal.  I like to have a calm knitting experience, not a frenetic one.  And if I can't trust that it's is perfectly correct, then I feel it's a bother because it's not my job to correct,  But it is someone's responsibility - who is getting paid for it.    

Not Ranked
Posts 13
millyb wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 7:47 PM

Hi ZassZ,

I absolutely agree with you.   When I first had the trouble I logged on to the cascade site thinking there might be a correction published there - but no.  The pattern should be checked and knitted by someone at the original place it is published before it is put up on the net or in  stores.  However, I am just so pleased I was able to be helped as I really love the wee pattern.

I thought I was going mad.... I have been knitting for many years and thought my old age was catching up withe me ....lol.  I promise I will post a picture when Ifinally have it finished !  Just to prove it really worked !! Hahaha....

Hugs

MillybBig Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Auntdena wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 1:02 PM

Hi everyone 

When I posted this pattern for help I had no idea the nightmare that was a head of me. But thanks to all of you and your help . I am getting through it. I did contact the company and received an e-mail from them which was really no help.  I found another really cute pattern that will be my next project . I will share the pattern and picture if it, Can't wait to see the finished work of everyone on the Lace Top . Thank you again Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 13
millyb wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 3:50 PM

Hi Auntdena,

Thank you too for posting your question to begin with.  I had all but given up on this pretty little top until your post.

It is a beautiful garment once you have it sorted out, and I can see myself knitting a few of these for nieces etc. Its a pity that it was sent out with the mistakes on it in the first place.... but nevermind we have it sorted out and I will post a picture of mine once I have finished it.

I would also love to see the  new pattern you have found ....

Hugs

Millyb

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 4:21 PM

Hi MillyB, Auntdena, Sue196, + all,   

So "thank you" all, also for asking the right questions and for Sue 196 too who put up the worked out corrected steps.  Now I wouldn't mind putting the corrected one back on my list for future gift I will need.  I have the yarn in mind I would like to use, a nice cotton in a bright color pink so it's washable too.  It's this yarn they show for this Ladies Shirt.  I was attracted to the shade of pink and it is reminding me of the one in the pic for Little Lace Top.   http://us.knitsmc.com/patterns/ladies-shirt-4   What yarns did you use for yours?  Did you stick to the recommended or did anyone substitute?   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 10:47 AM

Hi MillyB, Auntdena & Sue 196, + all,

How are you all coming along with this project.  Has anyone finished it yet?  Smile

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS