THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,542
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Jun 14, 2012 6:15 PM

The winner is the Pan-Am Jacket. Yippee; it's my favorite, too.

Here's the schedule:

6/15–6/29: Download pattern (or find it in your copy of Interweave Knits, Winter 2011), choose yarn, swatch.
6/30–8/25: Knit body.
8/26–9/23: Knit sleeves.
9/2–10-1: Finishing.

We have enlarged charts and the shaping correction here, plus more photos of the jacket.

And if you're wondering how to insert a photo into a post, click here.

Here's how a knit-along works:
1. Download your pattern (or find it in a magazine or book if it was previously published).
2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash).
3. Log on to the forum and introduce yourself and tell us which yarn you're using. This forum is where all of the fun is; it's where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.
4. Post a photo of your finished garment when you're done.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 40
vehuddle wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 7:48 PM

I want to do a summer sweater since I already have so many cold weather sweaters, but I didn't want to use an all-cotton yarn so I am going to use this Cascade Sierra in a turquoise blue color.  This yarn is 80% cotton and 20% wool.  I also got the gauge with my Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece yarn, but I didn't have enough stash yarn to do this sweater. I also chose a light color since so many people on Ravelry had trouble seeing the stitch pattern with the dark yarns.

I believe this is a top down sweater so the back and fronts will be done at the same time.  I didn't want a bundle of hot wool in my lap this summer - so that was another reason to pick a cotton blend.

d.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 8:10 AM

I just ordered that issue.  I'm looking forward to getting started on it!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
shelbyart wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 10:56 AM

I'm going with the suggested Classic Elite Crestone, but I'm using color "Granite." Swatching today and looking forward to it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 11:21 AM

I am so excited for this KAL. It's my first one (ever) and I've been waiting to try a garment since my work to date has primarily been afghans, hats and scarves. 

Since I'm not 100% sure if I'll be successful with my first garment (my measure of success being that I'll be confident to wear it in public... or not) I decided to select a slightly less expensive yarn than that suggested in the pattern, but a wool nonetheless.  I selected a Peruvian Highland wool - one I've never used before so all sorts of firsts on this project - in 'Camel Heather'. It arrives next week so I'll have to swatch it up as soon as it arrives.

Quick question - where do you all get your 12" circulars? I typically use the Knit Picks Harmony wood needles, both fixed and interchangeable, but the smallest they carry is 16". I ended up getting some Addi Turbo's in the appropripate sizes but wondered if anyone had any better luck with wooden/bamboo needles in the 12"  length. 

Can't wait to KAL with all of you!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 11:27 AM

I've spent the morning diving through my gigantic stash, discovering yarn after yarn that wasn't the right weight or I didn't have enough, before finally hitting paydirt - I'm doing mine in Lambswool Super Crepe by Thorobred scheepjeswol, in dark blue. What a relief it is to get something out of the stash! I've had 30 balls of this yarn since ... well, I can't really remember, but the price ticket ($1.97/ball, marked down from $3.95!) is from a local department store that disappeared in the early 90s. I still remember the pattern I bought it for - a Bernat buttonless jacket, with a matching skirt ... fortunately before I knit it up I realized that head-to-toe knitwear on my body would make me look like a great big pillow. It's great to have found a use for this fantastic yarn!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 11:32 AM

Okay, the 'great big pillow' comment made me bark out an unexpected laugh that I'm having residual giggles spells from...the visual really was hilarious.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Sheilamozzy wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 1:19 PM

I use the Katia Tibet, light blue, it is beautifull. Looking forward to cold weather :)

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Docdixon wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 6:10 PM

I am really looking forward to help with this pattern! I bought the same yarn as the pattern and knit a bit to get a feel for the yarn. It is very easy to work with. I am very confused about the complex charts, though. I downloaded the corrected ones and had them blown up in color but that does not seem to have helped very much. I have trouble with the size of the charts. I tried swatching and got lost in the long rows when I looked at my swatch. Hope to learn a lot from this group and my knitting mentor in NC! Happy knitting!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 6:24 PM

That is a beautiful color!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
cazknits wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 6:28 PM

I'm in! I found some Cascade 220 in my stash that will be perfect - a beautiful pinky gold heather shade called "Kansas" (#2437). Unfortunately, I did not have enough and just had to order two more skeins. No matter - I can start swatching until they arrive. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 6:39 PM

Docdixon, you mentioned downloading the corrected charts.  Did your original version (I'm thinking with incorrect charts) come from the magazine, ezine, or downloaded individual pattern?  I just ordered the magazine and am now wondering if I will need to seek a corrected chart as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Jun 15, 2012 7:57 PM

I am still on the fence because I voted for a different project, and will wait until an answer comes through about what and where are the corrected copies of the pattern

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 15, 2012 8:02 PM

I'm in!  I'm going to swatch with something i have in my stash to see if it will work -- Rowan Calmer in a beautiful summery saffron color.  Wish me luck!

Deb

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 9:24 PM

Meaghan,

You will love working with your Pruvian Highland wool and the color is stunning.  I made a hoodie out of it andit works up nice and the cables stand out perfectly.  have ordered the magazine so will join you as soon as it arrives.  Now to the stash to find the right yarn.  Good luck swatching.

Page 1 of 68 (1018 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS