THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 9:31 PM

Vehuddle,

Love your yarn and your doggie.  My little Hershey is 6 months and I get wonderful comments on him when I take him out.  He is so smart!  Hope to be knitting with all of you soon.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ShyamalaD wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 11:45 PM

I have 10 balls of Only Stretch by Schachenmayr nomotta. This is not enough yardage for the project. But I am thinking I will just make the sleeves shorter. Any suggestions?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
gumbiecat wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 6:38 AM

This is the correction posted by IK for the Pan-Am Jacket:

Shaping Chart: New instructions for Size 44 3/4" (Green)Raglan: Every 2nd row through row 21, then every 4th row once (row 25), every other row twice (rows 27 and 29), and every 4th row alternating with every 2nd row through row 65. 
Updated charts are available on Knitting Daily. 

Judy in SE WI

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 9:21 AM

I know everybody hates it when you jump ahead, but: I've got the corrected pattern, and I've knitted the first two rows, which are all nicely written out for you in the pattern. Bit of a problem: for the Left Front and Right Front, the written instructions have only 1 selvedge stitch and 1 pattern stitch, then we place the marker and go onto the divider stitches for the sleeves. But the charts show 3 stitches for Rows 1 and 2 for the Left Front and the Right Front, and the directions say the selvedge stitches aren't included in the chart, so it looks like there should be an extra two stitches for each front.

Does anybody know what's up with that? I'm reluctant to just cheerfully cast on another four stitches because I don't know whether it's going to make a difference later on.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 10:03 AM

I don't have the actual pattern yet but, looking at the chart, (from the links provided up thread) I see for the red and fuschia (purple?) 2 stitches.  I've never followed a charted knitting pattern though so I don't know if I'm reading it correctly or not.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 10:38 AM

Kathleen, or anyone who has successfully gotten well into the pattern,

Can you provide a thorough explanation of when and how the shaping chart comes into play?

Appreciate it.

Candy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 10:41 AM

Thanks for checking in, Susan. I was nervous about it since it's new to me but I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I'm excited to see what you find in your stash! 

Happy swatching yourself!

Meg

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
MichelleR wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 11:44 AM

I'm in! I just ordered  Knit Pick's Swish worsted Suprewash Merino wool yarn in the color way Dove Heather. I ordered extra because I want full length sleeves. Looking forward to this project as it will be my first sweater knit along.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Docdixon wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 12:46 PM

YarnTales,

I downloaded the pattern and the corrected chart from KD website (I think!). From what the other posts have said, it seems that the corrections are only for size 44, but I could be wrong. I am clueless about charts and this one is particularly difficult for me. I am going to try jumping in in a few minutes.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 12:57 PM

Thanks for clarifying Docdixon.  I'm lookin' at it thinkin', "hmmmmm...yeah...maybe I'll just do the swatch.  Baby steps, right?"Huh?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
KnitterJayne wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 3:18 PM

I've read about previous knitalongs, and this will be my first participation, I'm looking forward to it!

I also went through my stash (having declared a moratorium on further acquisition!) and am going to try using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, in Cloud (nice ivory) I hope the colour and yarn will show the stitches well.  It's a close thing on quantity, and I'm wondering whether using Coal (black) for the band and collar would work for a contrast look.  I will try it in the swatch (also wash it to make sure I don't have problems with dye running or anything).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,460
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jun 16, 2012 3:29 PM

I just added links to my original post (first post in the forum) for the enlarged chart and shaping corrections, plus a like for info on how to insert photos into your post.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 3:33 PM

Alright, after further study, I'm ready to begin.  I've got the first two rows finished.  I believe I understand the pattern.  I'll work along for a while and let you know how things go.  A word of advice before anyone begins, study the notes. There's important information critical to understanding the pattern in there.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 3:51 PM

ShyamalaD:

I have 10 balls of Only Stretch by Schachenmayr nomotta. This is not enough yardage for the project. But I am thinking I will just make the sleeves shorter. Any suggestions?

The last KAL I did (Bella Blouse), I ran out of yarn after knitting more than half the project, and had to get other yarn and start again. I hope that doesn't happen to you! You do have enough to knit the smallest size without shortening the arms.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 9:28 PM

Don't have enough yardage of anything in my stash so ordered some Elann Luna in the color silver sage.  Luna is a dk weight, but being in Missouri, I need something a little lighter so will make a swatch when it arrives and go from there for the size.  Ordered plenty to be safe as I want the full length sleeves also.  Will start when my yarn and magazine arrives.  The rest of you can keep us posted for any problems or hints and please do post plenty of pics.

Happy knitting,

Susan

Page 2 of 68 (1018 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS