THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 10:10 PM

Is it a misprint or will I really need 2 size 6 40" circular needles?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 17, 2012 2:05 PM

YarnTales:

Is it a misprint or will I really need 2 size 6 40" circular needles?

You do need to use two circular needles at once, to handle the width of some of the rows. The yoke goes to as many as 412 stitches (80 inches), and the continuous border is longer still - around 100 inches, depending on the size.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 17, 2012 2:40 PM

Wow!  I reckon that would require 2.  Thanks for the info.  (I shoulda waited until the pattern arrived 'fore askin' Automobile I'm just gettin' so antsy Snail  Embarrassed)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 17, 2012 5:59 PM

Hi.  I have similar concerns.  Looking at the charts and readiing the increase instructions in the box, it seems that the written instructions for the medium (yellow) do  not match the chart.  The written instructions say we should start with one stitch.  The chart pretty clearly says two.  Anyone else have help with this aspect?  Do we follow the chart and make a new line?  Do we cast on extra and follow the chart as is?  Help

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 17, 2012 6:00 PM

Hi.  I have similar concerns.  Looking at the charts and readiing the increase instructions in the box, it seems that the written instructions for the medium (yellow) do  not match the chart.  The written instructions say we should start with one stitch.  The chart pretty clearly says two.  Anyone else have help with this aspect?  Do we follow the chart and make a new line?  Do we cast on extra and follow the chart as is?  Help

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 17, 2012 6:00 PM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 17, 2012 7:18 PM

dianajoknits:

My problem exactly! I'm sure it's just something I haven't understood correctly, because other people have managed to knit this jacket, but I'm just not getting it. Looking on the charts, the sleeve rows and the back rows all correspond exactly to what has been written out for the first two rows, but as I read them the left and right fronts simply do not match the charts. I've read the notes over and over again, but I just can't see where I'm going wrong, so I'm hoping somebody can explain it to me.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 17, 2012 9:38 PM

I've been studying the pattern again.  I'm wondering if the chart "row 1" is really row 3 and represents the first increase row?  I think that for size medium I'm supposed to increase one raglan increase every 2nd row.  So if this were really happening in the actual row 2, the written instructions would include this, no?  So maybe the 2 underlined yellow stitches are actually row 3???  My eyes are getting a little crossed trying to figure this out but I THINK this might work.  I have been unable to get color copies so I'm looking at this on my computer - not the best way.  But I believe this might work.  Maybe I will give it a try unless someone has a better idea???  Still looking for help  :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 18, 2012 10:04 AM

dianajoknits:
I'm wondering if the chart "row 1" is really row 3 and represents the first increase row?  I think that for size medium I'm supposed to increase one raglan increase every 2nd row.  So if this were really happening in the actual row 2, the written instructions would include this, no?  So maybe the 2 underlined yellow stitches are actually row 3???  My eyes are getting a little crossed trying to figure this out but I THINK this might work.

I thought about that, too, but what put me off the idea was that the rows for the sleeve and the back work out just fine. If those charts start at "row 1" then so should the fronts. And then I thought "oh heck, just cast on an extra couple of stitches" but I'm worried that I'll get down to Row 65 and discovered that there was a really good reason why I shouldn't have done that, and I'll wind up having to frog and start again. So I have decided that crying out for help is the best plan ;-)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 42
Sand@4 wrote
on Jun 18, 2012 10:06 AM

Thank you DeborahC53 for posting the link.  I was beginning to think I was loosing my mind as to how to post.  Have no idea why I'm have difficulty.  As to the project --  I love it, but I do admit I feel intimidated by reading over the pattern and the graphs.   I probably should just follow my advise to any new knitter don't read beyond the part you are working on.  Any advise? Thanks to any of you who will put me at ease with this.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 18, 2012 10:32 AM

I'm right there with you. Why would the sleeve and other body charts not match the RF and LF charts.  I'm feeling eager to start (again) but frustrated by not being able to figure this out.  And reluctant to just 1) cast on the extra two stitches or 2) modify the chart.  I went to Ravelry and there are several folks who have made this jacket.  So somehow they solved this problem.  I have contacted the designer through Ravelry and asked her this question.  I noticed that she responded to other questions about this jacket so maybe we will hear from her.  There must be a solution - I just can't figure it out! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 18, 2012 12:12 PM

Sand@4:

As to the project --  I love it, but I do admit I feel intimidated by reading over the pattern and the graphs.   I probably should just follow my advise to any new knitter don't read beyond the part you are working on.  Any advise? Thanks to any of you who will put me at ease with this.

I think once we get started and have the patterns set it will be a lot easier. One of the people on Ravelry who has finished her jacket said "The pattern works from the top down, which is great because the tough parts come early, then it’s smooth sailing."

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Mostitch wrote
on Jun 18, 2012 1:18 PM

I opened KAL this morning and found that my second choice was chosen!  I was a bit unhappy until I realized that because I haven't done anything so nice or fancy and I won't be knitting it alone it won't be as hard as I think.  It will be for my 43 year old daughter for Christmas (I hope) and since she "dresses" for her job, I don't know about the yarn or color.  I am tempted to aske her, but then I really will have some pressure and I don't want that.  I want simply the pleasure of knitting a beautiful garment and knitting with friends.  So raise your cup of tea (or wine in my case) and let the knitting begin!!!!!  Maureen aka Mostitch

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 18, 2012 1:29 PM

I have knitted 8 rows of size 37 1/2-yellow.  So far so good. I followed the written instructions for rows 1 and 2. I then began using the graphed charts on row 3.  I am doing the increases based on the graphed charts. I am not using the shaping chart. I have printed out the enlarged charts and assembled them in order for working a right side row and stapled them together at the top.  I printed a second sleeve chart for this purpose. I flip through the charts in order, then flip backwards when working a wrong side row.  I use highlighter tape to track my progress on the charts, moving it up after finishing each row.    

I suggest starting this project when you can give it your full attention, without any distractions.  It's challenging at first and I think being organized is key to success.  The method I've described is working for me. You may want to develop your own method.  

Remember, the divider stitches are not graphed.  This seemed to come naturally to me pretty quickly. What I have to remember is that the color coding changes based on right and wrong side rows.  But wrong side rows seem to be easier so far, no increases and they copy the stitches in the row below.

Good luck to all, and please share if you find a good organization method that works for you.     

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 18, 2012 3:59 PM

Hi.  This is exactly what I did but the RF and LF charts didn't work for me - I had one extra stitch on the chart that I did not have on my needles.  Did you find this was true or it worked out for you?

Page 3 of 68 (1018 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS