THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Aug 20, 2012 6:42 PM
Hi. I am just about to start my Pan-am as a gift for my mother's 70th birthday. I would love some comments from those of you who have finished about your gauge. Specifically, did you stretch your swatch much when blocking to achieve gauge, and are you happy with how the pattern shows on the final garment like that? I ask because I had to up to size 9 needles to achieve gauge. Alternatively I could use smaller needles but have to stretch the swatch a fair bit when blocking. I figure this gives less ease in the final garment, and am worried the chevron pattern is less visible overall when stretched. But it is hard to judge these things from a swatch, so would love the thoughts of those of you who have finished! (by the way, I am knitting the smallest size and think it will be pretty close to mum's measurements).
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 86
Chris Essler wrote
on Aug 20, 2012 7:09 PM

I am using size 9 needles for the body, and I can see the pattern fine, but a lot depends on the yarn you use as well.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
marhar wrote
on Aug 20, 2012 8:57 PM

BritishLass:
I would love some comments from those of you who have finished about your gauge. Specifically, did you stretch your swahtc much when blocking to achieve gauge, and are you happy with how the

I am almost finished my sleeves, then have the continuous border to do and it fits me great.  I was surprised when my gauge was with a 9 instead of a 6.  I did not stretch the stitches at all, and don't think you should. 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Linda@46 wrote
on Aug 21, 2012 7:28 AM

I am loving this sweater!  BUT. I just got to the buttonhole section.  I, too, can only see where there would be 6 increases per row on the long needle and 2 increases per row on the shorter neckline needle.  Am I missing something?  That would make 8 increases in all per increase row, just like the previous increase rows.

At each of the corners I have two markers with a consistent knit stitch between them.  When dividing on needle 1 and 2, does the continuous knit stitch go with 1 or 2?  On the buttonhole edge there's a tbl then a M1.  Just thinking out loud, here but does this seem right?  I modified the plucking up somewhat so the stitch dividing isn't the exact pattern numbers.

Any insight will be appreciated.  And thanks to everyone who knit this ahead of me for all your postings!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
daylecrain wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 9:26 AM

You might want to consider how your mom likes to wear her clothing.  Would it bother her to have a close fitting garment?  The blocking can stretch the fabric quite a bit.  The yarn I chose recommended size 7 for the same gauge as the Pan Am.  I went with that because the swatch just seemed to have a good feel.  Another thing to consider is that this is a very heavy jacket when completed.  It will stretch quite a bit on its own simply owing to the weight.  I posted my completed jacket on my daughter in law.  I used the size 40 and, when blocking, I did stretch it some but not a huge amount.  It still has loads of stretch.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Not Ranked
Posts 9
theresiah wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 12:39 PM

Finished mine: here's a picture.

I purposely knitted it with more ease than photo, and I am really happy with fit and feel.  Because of the thick/thin yarn, the edging is scalloped, which is really pretty  Thanks to everyone who posted to the KAL:  I was inspired to keep going.  I don't think I have ever completed a whole sweater in less than two months before.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
JudyG@11 wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 8:42 PM

theresiah:

Finished mine: here's a picture.

I purposely knitted it with more ease than photo, and I am really happy with fit and feel.  Because of the thick/thin yarn, the edging is scalloped, which is really pretty  Thanks to everyone who posted to the KAL:  I was inspired to keep going.  I don't think I have ever completed a whole sweater in less than two months before.

Beautiful!  I love the different look the thick/thin yarn gives to the pattern!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
JudyG@11 wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 8:45 PM

daylecrain:

I completed this PanAm in July for my daughter in law.  I used the Mushushi yarn.  The gauge called for size 7 needles.  Measuring the swatch seemed useless to me because of the take up of the chevron pattern.  I made a command decision to just go with the size 7 after I saw that the chevron pattern had a considerable stretch to it.  I also saw that the pattern seemed stable yet pliable in my sample swatch. Basically, the "hand" seemed good.

The question regarding the sleeve size came up after I had already divided for the body, so I decided to trust the designer.  After blocking, the sleeves are closely fitted but not uncomfortable. I liken it to a simple ribbing.

I did, however, add a small gusset to eliminate any hole when joining the sleeve.  I worked the sleeves in the round using dpns.  For the sleeve band, I tried to use the Roman rib but it was just too bulky, so I chose to use the 1x1 ribbing and went down 1 needle size.  I am very happy with the results.  For those coming along, it does look a little "bell-shaped" before blocking, but don't worry.  It will shape nicely when the sleeve is blocked.

For the continuous band, I faced it with stockinette using 1 needle size smaller.  Again, it worked very well.

For the next daughter in law, there is little I will do differently!  Love the jacket!

I like the striping that shows up!  Can't wait to finish mine so I can find another yarn to make again, with a few changes...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 9:24 PM

JanC@30:

Artful Soul, you are the greatest, so THANK YOU!  I noticed you got a reply from the designer about sewing lives stitches for the continuous border , but: does she ever answer the question of what to do with the rest of needle 1 after reaching 2 2/2" on the neck (needle 2 )??

Are we to go BACK to needle 1 and copy the decreases the same way?

Where do you think the rest of the pattern is ??

Thanks for all the help!

Hi, sorry, been out of town.  Yes, the designer confirmed that your border facing for all edges is done the same, extending to the width of the continuous border!  As for "how" you sew the finishing facing down...she suggested using live stitches and sewing them down discreetly...but you chose to BO, makes sure it is done loosely to remain stretchy.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 9:28 PM

Gina4462:

I'm pretty sure I have to undo and start over.  I don't know what I've done but it's very messy and the stitches aren't lined up properly.  This probably happened b/c I made 1 stitch wrong maybe purl when it was supposed to be knit.  I've never made 1 before.  At least I have a pretty good understanding of what I'm doing now thanks to all the helpful posts and I was only on row 11.  Oh, well. 

Oh dear.  the arrangement of knits/purls is critical to this looking so striking, I agree.  At least only row 11!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Aug 23, 2012 3:49 PM

Artful Soul,

Since you have been so generous with advice, I am hoping you can help me. I will start the continuous border soon and I just don't understand the directions. I have all of the bottom edge stitches on one long needle - do I leave those and then pick up the right and left edges and neck with the 2nd needle? Because the directions make it sound like I pick all of the stitches on one needle - but, aside from that being really cumbersome, why did the directions call for two 40" needles?(Does that make any sense at all?)

Unfortunately I know as soon as I get over this hump, I will have more questions but I am breathing deeply and taking this one step at a time :)

Thank you!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Aug 23, 2012 5:11 PM

mmorris@visitalexva.com:

Artful Soul,

Since you have been so generous with advice, I am hoping you can help me. I will start the continuous border soon and I just don't understand the directions. I have all of the bottom edge stitches on one long needle - do I leave those and then pick up the right and left edges and neck with the 2nd needle? Because the directions make it sound like I pick all of the stitches on one needle - but, aside from that being really cumbersome, why did the directions call for two 40" needles?(Does that make any sense at all?)

Unfortunately I know as soon as I get over this hump, I will have more questions but I am breathing deeply and taking this one step at a time :)

Thank you!!!

I found that I only needed one 40" needle to start the Continuous Border.  And worked the initial pickup stitches along with the hemline live stitches using just the one.  BUT, when you get to the round for working the collar seperately from the other 3 sides, you will need another needle.  It does not necessarily need to be 40", in fact I was fine with 24".

I have a few more helpful hints beyond this point on my Ravelry project page.  Click on my Avatar, then you'll see a link to that anytime you need it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Aug 24, 2012 7:58 PM

mmorris@visitalexva.com:

Artful Soul,

Thank you!!!

I have decided to do the continous border before finishing my sleeves.  I have the body done and finished one sleeve to where we start the roman rib, but the sleeve length seems a bit off to me.  So, I decided I can get a better "feel" for my sleeve length once I have the rest of the jacket done.  So, I'm right with you, mmorris...lets see how we do.

Lynne aka imalulu

Page 59 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  57 58 59 60 61  Next >  ... Last » | RSS