THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
CateM wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 8:05 PM

and i should have added with one size smaller needle.  I will do the border facings the same way. I also used a contrasting color.

cate

Not Ranked
Posts 4
DanielleM@19 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 2:35 PM

Was there erratta published for the missing facing piece? I am trying to figure it out now. Did you just work it much like the buttonhole section? I'm sure I can figure it out, but wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 3:41 PM

Yipee!!! I am  DONE!

Update: The body was worked on size 7 needles. The border around the body and around the cuffs was done on size 5 needles; with the facing done on size 4 needles.  The facings were knit in stockinette stitch for four rows. I cast off the edge using the Traditional bind off (aka: Standard or Chain) with a twist: I purled all of the stitches.

I sewed down the facings with one strand of Northern wool. I untwisted the yarn and separated the individual strands that make up the yarn. Sewing down with the whole thickness of yarn would be too thick.

I used a dark leather Jul post button secured thru the buttonhole and the opposite collar. I like the jacket with this button; and I am now on the look out for a button to sew on permanently.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 76
Chris Essler wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 5:32 PM

JUST BEAUTIFUL!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Sep 1, 2012 11:09 AM

SoCalMeaghan:

ArtfulSoul:

SoCalMeaghan:

Ok lovely knitting ladies - I have a question that I haven't found an answer for yet in the Forum. This leads me to believe that I'm behind in my knitting skills so I'm coming to you for a solution.

I have only ever had to pick up stitches on the edges of a hat, once, and the direction didn't seem to stump me. However, I'm having some issues trying to understand how I'm to pick up the stitches along the front of the jacket. I understand that I can simply knit off the needle at the bottom of the jacket as they are still live stitches but I'm not sure I understand how to "pickup and knit" stitches without turning my work. Does the "pick up and knit" simply mean I pick up the stitches starting at the top of the front of the jacket and make live stitches or do I start at the bottom, pick up stitches, and then knit back down? If anyone can explain this I'd appreciate it. I'm stuck now as I head towards putting the continuous border on the sweater. 

I have just finished my body and am now ready to knit the border.  I went back through the posts because I had two questions.  One was the same as asked by SoCalMeagan but I could not find an answer to my other question.  If I choose not to make button holes (I'm considering using snaps instead) do I need to break my border or can I just continue to knit the entire border, including facing, in the round?  Has anyone else decided not to make button holes and how did you handle it.  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

I found that after finishing the bottom, keeping the stitches on one needle and breaking the yarn at that point was the solution.  Then, with new yarn, start at top as per instructions, right-side facing you, and pickup stitches ( creating new ones), then knitting into the hemline live stitches as you get to them.  You will rejoin and work the Continuous Border in the round.  I found that all my stitches fit onto one 40" needle to make it simple, until you reach the buttonhole.

The amount of stitches picked up is defined by the pattern. But if you modified, that will not work.  Personally, I did not slip the front edge stitches, so picked up 2 st for every 3 rows, and all the CO st around neck.

Thanks ArtfulSoul - I knew I could count on you to help out. So just to be clear, I'm not really "knitting" the first stitches that I pick up along the front edges. The only knitting I'll actually be doing is on the bottom hemline?! That makes everything much easier. Thank you SO much for the help. You ROCK!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Sep 1, 2012 11:13 AM

RenateTritz:

SoCalMeaghan:

ArtfulSoul:

SoCalMeaghan:

Ok lovely knitting ladies - I have a question that I haven't found an answer for yet in the Forum. This leads me to believe that I'm behind in my knitting skills so I'm coming to you for a solution.

I have only ever had to pick up stitches on the edges of a hat, once, and the direction didn't seem to stump me. However, I'm having some issues trying to understand how I'm to pick up the stitches along the front of the jacket. I understand that I can simply knit off the needle at the bottom of the jacket as they are still live stitches but I'm not sure I understand how to "pickup and knit" stitches without turning my work. Does the "pick up and knit" simply mean I pick up the stitches starting at the top of the front of the jacket and make live stitches or do I start at the bottom, pick up stitches, and then knit back down? If anyone can explain this I'd appreciate it. I'm stuck now as I head towards putting the continuous border on the sweater. 

I have just finished my body and am now ready to knit the border.  I went back through the posts because I had two questions.  One was the same as asked by SoCalMeagan but I could not find an answer to my other question.  If I choose not to make button holes (I'm considering using snaps instead) do I need to break my border or can I just continue to knit the entire border, including facing, in the round?  Has anyone else decided not to make button holes and how did you handle it.  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

I found that after finishing the bottom, keeping the stitches on one needle and breaking the yarn at that point was the solution.  Then, with new yarn, start at top as per instructions, right-side facing you, and pickup stitches ( creating new ones), then knitting into the hemline live stitches as you get to them.  You will rejoin and work the Continuous Border in the round.  I found that all my stitches fit onto one 40" needle to make it simple, until you reach the buttonhole.

The amount of stitches picked up is defined by the pattern. But if you modified, that will not work.  Personally, I did not slip the front edge stitches, so picked up 2 st for every 3 rows, and all the CO st around neck.

Thanks ArtfulSoul - I knew I could count on you to help out. So just to be clear, I'm not really "knitting" the first stitches that I pick up along the front edges. The only knitting I'll actually be doing is on the bottom hemline?! That makes everything much easier. Thank you SO much for the help. You ROCK!

Sorry, I am new at this forum thing and obviously put my questions in the wrong place.  Let's try this again.  I have just finished my body and am now ready to knit the border.  I went back through the posts because I had two questions.  One was the same as asked by SoCalMeagan but I could not find an answer to my other question.  If I choose not to make button holes (I'm considering using snaps instead) do I need to break my border or can I just continue to knit the entire border, including facing, in the round?  Has anyone else decided not to make button holes and how did you handle it.  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 11:05 AM

To RenateTritz, a knitter on ravelry, ninapknitts, made this jacket and did snaps.  she discusses it. I'm planning to do snaps, I took off 2 large ones from an old sweater to use. I'm ready to start the border. I'm making this for my daughter who was home this weekend, tried it on and so far looks great.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Islandgilr wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 11:25 AM

I've got about 5 rows of my border done and was thinking giant hook and eyes but I like the idea of snaps better.   Guess the fabric stores still sell big ones... if not may be making a trip to a thrift store for an old coat or something!  I'm also thinking my border will only be about an inch wide  (I'm making a red border on a dark purple sweater.  I also did both sleeves at the same time on straight needles that worked very well!

Lynne

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 12:13 PM

Bdsimpson:

To RenateTritz, a knitter on ravelry, ninapknitts, made this jacket and did snaps.  she discusses it. I'm planning to do snaps, I took off 2 large ones from an old sweater to use. I'm ready to start the border. I'm making this for my daughter who was home this weekend, tried it on and so far looks great.

Thank you for the information.  I will check that out today.    Decided to work on my sleeves to make sure I have enough yarn since I, like many others, want to have a longer sleeve.  I also like the idea of adding a bit of flair by having the facing a different color than the sweater and since I am using Cascade I should have no problem finding a compatible color in their wool line.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 12:17 PM

Islandgilr:

I've got about 5 rows of my border done and was thinking giant hook and eyes but I like the idea of snaps better.   Guess the fabric stores still sell big ones... if not may be making a trip to a thrift store for an old coat or something!  I'm also thinking my border will only be about an inch wide  (I'm making a red border on a dark purple sweater.  I also did both sleeves at the same time on straight needles that worked very well!

Lynne

Lynne, I got the idea about large snaps from an article in the latest knit wear magazine from Interweave, Spring 2012.  I also like your idea of mixing colors. Good luck on the snaps and the rest of your sweater.

Renate

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 4:56 PM

Islandgilr:

Lynne

I am a big fan of snaps.  But while poking around the internet today, I came across this type of closure.  It would be an alternative to a snap  http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/floral-pedestal-button-p-4632.html

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 5:54 PM

I would like the collar to stand up some and thinking about interfacing it. Has anyone applied interface to a knitted piece? I wonder if fusing to the facing side would work.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 9:46 PM

Interesting find on these buttons.  Thanks for sharing.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
vehuddle wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 7:27 AM

You should probably try the sew-in type of interfacing or a light piece of knit fabric that matches your yarn.  The fusible interfacing would not stretch like the knitting does.  I have never used interfacing in knitted items so I am not sure how it would work; however, I do sew with knitted fabrics.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Scarlett1063 wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 12:08 PM

Yipee!!! I am  DONE!

Your Jacket is so beautiful!

Page 61 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  59 60 61 62 63  Next >  ... Last » | RSS