THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Sep 5, 2012 8:26 AM

I am on row 55.  I was confused about the 2 selvedge stitches as well but just decided to ignore that and follow the chart.  So far it has worked and I'm not going to think anymore about those 2 selvedges.  

My question is ---- I have my sleeves on holders and am knitting the body to row 124.  What am I supposed to do with the right and left front?  They only go to row 70 on the chart.  I have read and re-read all the info with the pattern and there is nothing that tells me what to do with the fronts.  What am I missing?

Not Ranked
Posts 11
CarlineNM wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 8:34 AM

My question is ---- I have my sleeves on holders and am knitting the body to row 124.  What am I supposed to do with the right and left front?  They only go to row 70 on the chart.  I have read and re-read all the info with the pattern and there is nothing that tells me what to do with the fronts.  What am I missing?

I just found the right place to follow that would let me maintain the pattern, keeping the number of stitches on each side of the front consistent with row 70.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Sep 5, 2012 8:38 AM

I guess since there are no more increases in the fronts they didn't continue the chart.   Ok, I think I can figure that out.  Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 9:25 PM
I'm on row 49. Finding it slow going! But then I end up watching tv at the same time, so little wonder. Re the two selvedge stitches, the pattern seemed clear to me, but maybe I misinterpreted....when you start knitting down the front edges, you have two selv sts instead of one (she specifies one slipped and one in stocking st, but i hate a slipped edge, so I've been k (rs) or p (ws) two stitches on each edge, ie ignoring the first two sts on the charts). It is looking like a nice neat edge to the pattern so far, but maybe someone who has got as far as their continuous border can comment on what they did and how it looks? I was planning on using the two longer charts to help me figure out what pattern row I'm knitting on the charts that stop at row 70.
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Joanne@95 wrote
on Sep 6, 2012 2:37 PM

Posting a photo of Pan Am Jacket thus far. I have been busy knitting and trying to keep up with all the posts.  I just want to thank everyone for all their help.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
CateM wrote
on Sep 6, 2012 4:57 PM

RE: Knitting facing in one piece (eliminating buttonholes)

I'm not sure your question was answered. I skipped the buttonholes as well and knit the border in one long piece - one 40 inch needle used, though a longer needle would have been even easier. I knit it contrasting yarn, in SS. I"m on the last few rows. Yay.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
CateM wrote
on Sep 6, 2012 5:00 PM

I also thought of using knit interfacing around the neck. Haven't decided for sure. It's hard to approximate with all those facing stitches jammed on one needle...perhaps I will put the whole deal on a slippery long cord so i can try it on properly.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Sep 6, 2012 6:47 PM

CateM:

RE: Knitting facing in one piece (eliminating buttonholes)

I'm not sure your question was answered. I skipped the buttonholes as well and knit the border in one long piece - one 40 inch needle used, though a longer needle would have been even easier. I knit it contrasting yarn, in SS. I"m on the last few rows. Yay.

It was answered, thank you.  At what point did you start the contrasting color?  I am assuming that you are talking about the facing being in a contrasting color and done in SS.  Is that right?  Also you didn't say but what are you going use to close your jacket?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 6, 2012 7:45 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I'm just getting started on the Pan-Am Jacket.  I have all of the needles needed and have received my yarn.  I am using the identical yarn that the pattern uses.  I love the neutral color and the beautiful wool.  My question is:  Since I am starting way past the start date and the Knit body and sleeves, can I still get help as I try to figure out these complicated directions?  I am trying to get help on my end, but am still having trouble as I start the charts.  I am an intermediate knitter, but the pattern seems much harder than that.  Anyway is it too late to get help?

Thank you so much,

Peggy

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Joanne@95 wrote
on Sep 7, 2012 11:43 AM

This turned out beautiful and fits you perfectly. I hope mine turns out as well.  Just starting the continuous border.

ArtfulSoul:

Calling it Finished, ends woven in!  Might still block out larger, but waiting until I'm ready to actually put it together in outfit to wear (in a couple months maybe).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
CateM wrote
on Sep 7, 2012 6:40 PM

I will attach photo. I plan to block the sweater before sewing down the facing as I want to make it a little longer and narrower in hips.  I ordered Dritz 30mm snaps (amazon, or joann's or other places) which I shall cover in silk to match body yarn.  I may use 2 snaps to make sure I get alot of overlap as in the original photo - so snaps at collar and upper bust I image. I will also attach a gorgeous large lightweight button...not found yet.

Contrast started after purl (turning) row. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Sep 7, 2012 11:04 PM

Very nice, the contrast is pretty. I'm getting through the border, decided to string several circular needles together instead of dealing with all those stitches on one.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 2:48 AM
There are a few of us who have recently started Peggy. I have no idea how long this forum will continue, but I'm sure while it is open other knitters will be only too happy to help! I found lots of useful hints about starting out in the first ten or so pages of the forum (there is such a lot to read, but it is worth it!). In particular, I found tips about how to layout the charts to make them easy to follow, guidance about how to interpret them esp with regard to selvage sts, and noticed that lots of people (including me) ended up ripping back because we didn't like the kind of increase we were using. So I recommend (if you haven't already) swatching (artful soul posted a chart of the pattern repeat that is invaluable for that) including increases, so you can get them sorted out before you start properly. Is there anything in particular you are struggling with? I can truthfully say that although this pattern was really daunting (I have never used charts before), once you get going it is fine. I'm only on row 60 though so those may words may come back to haunt me! ;)
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 10:09 AM

CateM:
Contrast started after purl (turning) row

I'm just back from 2 weeks in Iceland, going to get caught up on the forum.  I really like your contrast facing! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 10:11 AM

CateM:

I also thought of using knit interfacing around the neck. Haven't decided for sure. It's hard to approximate with all those facing stitches jammed on one needle...perhaps I will put the whole deal on a slippery long cord so i can try it on properly.

I would hesitate from using any kind of fabric interfacing that would reduce the stretch of your knitting. The wide neckline is going to curve according to your body shape.  I found that the "stand up" feature was affected more by the ease in front, and where you place your button closure.

Page 62 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  60 61 62 63 64  Next >  ... Last » | RSS