THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Joanne@95 wrote
on Sep 13, 2012 9:38 AM

I just got to the buttonhole secton last night and I too only can find 6 increases. I just went back and read through the posts. It doesn't seem like anyone is too bothered by this.  Just going to continue with 6 because there are 3 sides at this point. Unless I hear otherwise from anyone who is finished.

Linda@46:

I am loving this sweater!  BUT. I just got to the buttonhole section.  I, too, can only see where there would be 6 increases per row on the long needle and 2 increases per row on the shorter neckline needle.  Am I missing something?  That would make 8 increases in all per increase row, just like the previous increase rows.

At each of the corners I have two markers with a consistent knit stitch between them.  When dividing on needle 1 and 2, does the continuous knit stitch go with 1 or 2?  On the buttonhole edge there's a tbl then a M1.  Just thinking out loud, here but does this seem right?  I modified the plucking up somewhat so the stitch dividing isn't the exact pattern numbers.

Any insight will be appreciated.  And thanks to everyone who knit this ahead of me for all your postings!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
CarlineNM wrote
on Sep 13, 2012 10:47 AM

I just got to the buttonhole secton last night and I too only can find 6 increases. I just went back and read through the posts. It doesn't seem like anyone is too bothered by this.  Just going to continue with 6 because there are 3 sides at this point. Unless I hear otherwise from anyone who is finished.

I kept with the 6, leaving the other 2 increases with needle 2.  I also found the instructions for the border facing to be confusing.  After working the buttonholes all the stitches once again go to one needle.  Then the instructions for the border facing tell you to work 5 rounds and then say "slip last st on needle 1 to needle 2."  This puts only one stitch on needle 2!  I divided up the stitches the same way I did for the border itself.  Then it has you working only on needle 2 and never again mentions needle 1.  This would give you a border facing down the sides and at the bottom that is the same width as the border but would leave the top with only the 5 rounds for the border facing.  In the end, I worked the facing the same way as the border, so that the facing is the same width as the border all the way around and the buttonholes on the facing line up with the buttonholes on the border.  Then I just stitched the facing buttonhole and the border buttonhole together.

Other people probably found their own solution, but that's what worked for me.
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Linda@46 wrote
on Sep 14, 2012 2:47 PM

That's exactly how I did it, too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
marhar wrote
on Sep 14, 2012 6:20 PM

I am at the second part of continuous border and do not know what RL1 means.  It said to look in glossary, but no luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
CarlineNM wrote
on Sep 14, 2012 6:53 PM

"I am at the second part of continuous border and do not know what RL1 means.  It said to look in glossary, but no luck."

If you go here:  http://www.domiknitrix.com/howtos/pairedraised.cfm

there is a video and written explanation.  It's actually RLI, which is something I had to learn by trial and error when searching.  It's a method of increasing and I think I did the increase using a different method.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
marhar wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 5:34 PM

I cannot figure out how to make the buttonholes and decrease on the facing.    Do I follow the directions given for  buttonholes on Needle 2 for the facings as well?  I know the directions leave you out in la-la land and I understand how to do the facing with decreases for needle 1, but do I decrease the stitches on Needle 2 as well as do buttonholes?  Thanks. 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
CarlineNM wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 8:47 PM

For the facing, I divided the stitches on the two needles exactly like I did for the border.  Then I worked the facing just as I did the border, except making decreases instead of increases on the corners.  You have to make the buttonholes on the facing.  

On both the border and the facing, I maintained the number of increases for each round that I had prior to dividing the stitches on the two needles.  It's been a while so I don't remember exactly how the stitches ended up on the needles, but it seems that I increased 6 stitches on needle one and 2 stitches on needle 2.  For the facing, it was a decrease of 6 stitches on needle 1 and 2 decreases on needle 2.

Probably not the only way to get the job done but it worked for me!  Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
mushmom wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 11:42 AM

I am currently working on the border and rapidly approaching the facing.  I am considering using a contrasting color for the facing.  My main color is Azalea Pink and I am thinking black or navy blue for the contrast.  I would love to hear what other knitters think about this.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 11:54 AM

mushmom:

I am currently working on the border and rapidly approaching the facing.  I am considering using a contrasting color for the facing.  My main color is Azalea Pink and I am thinking black or navy blue for the contrast.  I would love to hear what other knitters think about this.

I don't have an opinion, just how I would process the decision for myself. Will I wear it with black pants, or with navy? Do I already have the right shade of black or navy in garments to make it coordinate?  Does my yarn shed, if it does, then I will probably never wear azalea with black or navy?  If I add another color, will I regret it because now I can't wear it with brown or ivory? Does the black or navy yarn dye bleed when washed? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 12:52 PM

I'm on row 60 and have divided for the body and sleeves.  Up until this point the divider aren't shown on the charts.  Is this still the case? 

After you slip the first RM on this row, do the next 8 stitches replace the ones on the right back chart?

Gina

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 1:30 PM

Gina4462:

I'm on row 60 and have divided for the body and sleeves.  Up until this point the divider aren't shown on the charts.  Is this still the case? 

After you slip the first RM on this row, do the next 8 stitches replace the ones on the right back chart?

Gina

The divider stitches remain, still uncharted.  Continue on the center back.  On the sides, you will now have one side set, using 1/2 each from your front/back raglans.  Of course, you can modify this as you like!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Cordelaine wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 7:09 PM

mushmom:

I used a different colour for the facing and I think it looks great.  I've had compliments from other people who like the two-tone garment.  As for whether to use black or navy I agree with ArtfulSoul that it really depends on what you would be wearing it with.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 7:42 PM

ArtfulSoul:

Gina4462:

Gina

The divider stitches remain, still uncharted.  Continue on the center back.  On the sides, you will now have one side set, using 1/2 each from your front/back raglans.  Of course, you can modify this as you like!

Just to clarify for row 60 I follow the chart for the right front as is, put in the divider stitches, then those next 8 stitches replace the first 8 on the right back chart?  Then add the divider stitches which is shown in the written directions which has me confused b/c I'm not sure why the divider stitches are shown  here but not the rest of the directions.  Then after the 2nd CBM follow the chart for the left back, slip rm, divider, then replace the next 8 stitches of the left front chart w/ what is written?  I'm not sure why this is so confusing for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 8:37 PM

Gina4462:
Just to clarify for row 60 I follow the chart for the right front as is, put in the divider stitches, then those next 8 stitches replace the first 8 on the right back chart?  Then add the divider stitches which is shown in the written directions which has me confused b/c I'm not sure why the divider stitches are shown  here but not the rest of the directions.  Then after the 2nd CBM follow the chart for the left back, slip rm, divider, then replace the next 8 stitches of the left front chart w/ what is written?  I'm not sure why this is so confusing for me

When you got to the place to seperate sleeves, you had 4 Divider st for each raglan, front and back for each shoulder.  When putting sleeve st on holder, you included half (2) of each raglan Divider, which will later be joined to each other to knit the sleeve in the round.  So, you then had half (2) of the front raglan Divider on each front, and half (2) of both back raglan Divider st, that are joined together on the body side seams.  The new "side seams", not really seams, are 4 Divider Stitches, between the chevron charting for fronts and backs. The Back Divider remains to the end.

Another way to look at it... Before dividing body & sleeves, you had (and I add colors to see where they go):

Front + Raglan Divider 4 + Sleeve + Raglan Divider 4 + Half Back + Ctr Back Divider 4 + Half Back + Raglan Divider 4 + Sleeve + Raglan Divider 4 + Front.

After dividing body & sleeves, you want:

Sleeve #1:  Raglan Divider 2 + Sleeve + Raglan Divider 2

Sleeve #2:  Raglan Divider 2 + Sleeve + Raglan Divider 2

Body:  Front + Raglan Divider 2 + Raglan Divider 2 + Half Bak + Ctr Back Divider 4 + Half Back + Raglan Divider 2 + Raglan Divider 2 + Front

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 9:20 PM

Ok, I finally understand how the divider stitches are halfed w/ the sleeves.  So, still on row 60...  After slip 1st rm...  p1k1 are the divider stitches.  Then "wyf sl1 pwise, wyb sl2 sts from r to l needle, wyf sl 1 pwise" -- are these stitches worked from the stitches being held on the holders for the sleeves? Then the last 2 stitches k1, p1 are the divider stiches after the sleeve?

Page 63 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  61 62 63 64 65  Next >  ... Last » | RSS