THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 10:38 PM

Gina4462:

Ok, I finally understand how the divider stitches are halfed w/ the sleeves.  So, still on row 60...  After slip 1st rm...  p1k1 are the divider stitches.  Then "wyf sl1 pwise, wyb sl2 sts from r to l needle, wyf sl 1 pwise" -- are these stitches worked from the stitches being held on the holders for the sleeves? Then the last 2 stitches k1, p1 are the divider stiches after the sleeve?

Honestly, I CO extra stitches for underarm and sleeves, did not go with pattern instructions.  Hopefully someone else can shed light on it...but it looks like there is just some wrapping around center underarm st as you slip them back-and-forth, with yarn going in back and front.  So if someone else did it, and knows WHY??

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 3:26 AM
ArtfulSoul:

Honestly, I CO extra stitches for underarm and sleeves, did not go with pattern instructions.  Hopefully someone else can shed light on it...but it looks like there is just some wrapping around center underarm st as you slip them back-and-forth, with yarn going in back and front.  So if someone else did it, and knows WHY??

I presume the wrapping is to join the front and back sections together, I imagine if you just carried on knitting without joining the sections that you would be left with a hole under the arm that you would have to tidy up later.
Not Ranked
Posts 11
CarlineNM wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 6:20 AM

BritishLass:

I presume the wrapping is to join the front and back sections together, I imagine if you just carried on knitting without joining the sections that you would be left with a hole under the arm that you would have to tidy up later.

Having done the entire garment twice, with the exception of the sleeves and facing, I agree that doing away with that hole is the reason for the wrapping.  Didn't do it the first time but did the second and it made all the difference.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 9:57 AM

CarlineNM:

BritishLass:

Having done the entire garment twice, with the exception of the sleeves and facing, I agree that doing away with that hole is the reason for the wrapping.  Didn't do it the first time but did the second and it made all the difference.

Underarms always benefit from finishing to reinforce. The wrapping makes sense to tighten up the hole between front/back! Leaving a long end of yarn when picking up to start sleeves, you can finish the job later.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 7:40 PM

I finally finished, that border and facing took alot of yarn!  I used snap closures. I did a 1x1 ribbing for the collar facing for more body and stockinette for the rest of the facing.  My daughter wanted it longer.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
JudyG@11 wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 8:57 PM

Bdsimpson:

I finally finished, that border and facing took alot of yarn!  I used snap closures. I did a 1x1 ribbing for the collar facing for more body and stockinette for the rest of the facing.  My daughter wanted it longer.

Beautiful daughter! Beautiful sweater!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 9:56 PM

Thank you, this was my first kal here and loved it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 10:38 AM

I've had to rip out to the part where you separate for the sleeves.  I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong when I get to the sleeves but the stitch count was all wrong.  I hope whatever I was doing wrong will be fixed with a fresh start.  Otherwise I'm not sure what to do.  It seems no one else had a problem at this part.  Here goes nothing...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 11:48 AM

Gina4462:

I've had to rip out to the part where you separate for the sleeves.  I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong when I get to the sleeves but the stitch count was all wrong.  I hope whatever I was doing wrong will be fixed with a fresh start.  Otherwise I'm not sure what to do.  It seems no one else had a problem at this part.  Here goes nothing...

Make sure you are looking at the number for your chosen size. I made a mistake in the count using the number for another size! If your chevron pattern looks correct and you have the divider stitches accounted for, put the sleeve stitches on spare circulars and try on the sweater to see if so far it is going to fit.

At that point I realized I would have to add stitches for the underarm (for me it was 3 inches' worth for the sleeves and the body). I gradually decreased these added stitches to get a fitted sleeve.

I finally finished a sleeve (woot!) although I'm dismayed that my tension for the Roman Rib is looser than for the chevron (didn't someone call it Roman Ruin Big Smile I love that) and the cuffs bell out slightly. I liked the effect of using the smaller needle and the RR pattern for the cuff facing though and it does help draw in the cuff, a bit. As well I worked the sleeves back and forth, not circularly otherwise the tension on the whole sleeves would be different from the sweater body. All these things to find out!

On to sleeve #2 and then miles of continuous border Surprise

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 9:54 AM

I tried to find a post to my question but the search did not provide an answer.  In knitting the border, once you have M! on either side of the corner stitch, in the following rows do you incorporate the increases into the rib pattern in the K1, P1 and P1, K1 rows specifically or do you always keep them as a knit stitch?  I am not making the buttonholes so I am not worried about that part.  Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 10:08 AM

RenateTritz:

I tried to find a post to my question but the search did not provide an answer.  In knitting the border, once you have M! on either side of the corner stitch, in the following rows do you incorporate the increases into the rib pattern in the K1, P1 and P1, K1 rows specifically or do you always keep them as a knit stitch?  I am not making the buttonholes so I am not worried about that part.  Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

New stitches should be "in pattern", following the ribbing sequence.  You might decide to keep JUST one stitch right at the marker in a K1 (increasing around it), to create a straight line at an angle, but that is a matter of taste.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
mushmom wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 4:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for tips on using a contrast yarn for the facing.  While my main color looked really good with navy blue, I used black.  I have several black pants, dresses and shirts I could wear with this and only one navy blue item.  I started the contrast yarn on the row before the purl row so it makes a nice little edging on the border.  

I opted to make the border before the sleeves.  I would like to make them a bit longer than the pattern.  Now that the edging is done I can divide up the remaining yarn and see how far down the sleeves I can get without running out of yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 6:53 PM
Oooh sounds interesting mushmom! Would love to see a photo of that border. I am thinking about doing two single row contrasting stripes on the facing, about two thirds of the way in, just for fun. My jacket is bright red, and the stripes would be navy.
Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 6:53 PM
Oooh sounds interesting mushmom! Would love to see a photo of that border. I am thinking about doing two single row contrasting stripes on the facing, about two thirds of the way in, just for fun. My jacket is bright red, and the stripes would be navy.
Not Ranked
Posts 6
mushmom wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 7:18 PM

Here it is.  Just need to finish the sleeves, tuck in the ends and add the perfect button.

Page 64 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  62 63 64 65 66  Next >  ... Last » | RSS