THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
toyelf wrote
on Oct 22, 2012 7:51 AM

Everyone's sweaters look so great - you all are keeping me inspired while I finish up other projects so I can get to my Pan-Am.  There aren't enough knitting hours in the day! :(

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 1:20 PM

Here is my completed sweater.  I finished it about a month ago but never got around to posting the pictures.  I really enjoyed working on the sweater and can't wait for colder weather so i can wear it.  I knitted it in Cascade 220 heather with the border and facing done in Cascade 220 Sport Super Wash.  I used large snaps for closing and the button is just decorative.  I doubled the sport yarn for a piping effect and then reduced it down to single strand for the facing, knitting in stockinette to reduce bulk.  I knitted the sleeves to be full length instead of 3/4 and reduced the number of stitches before knitting the cuff to eliminate the bell shape.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Cordelaine wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 4:20 PM

The colours look phenomenal!  What a gorgeous sweater.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
marhar wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 4:47 PM

It is so much fun to see all these completed sweaters!  I also did mine in Cascade  heather, but mine is lavender shade.  I had difficulty putting the buttons on (even though I had 2 absolutely perfect ones), so I sewed a snap inside and got the pretty shawl pin.  I also made my sleeves full-length, and did the facings in stockinette.  That's why i have so many people to thank, because I  would never have thought of that, plus my gussets are perfect and how could I have ever done those alone?!!  I will look forward to seeing more of the finished projects.  They are wonderful!!  The new sock KAL is a wonderful chance for folks to learn or practice.  i teach socks at our LYS, so really don't need any more pairs!!  Good luck to all who are finishing up.

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:04 PM

I hope someone is still around to answer a question.  I've started my first sleeve and there is a big hole where the arm pit will be.  Anyone else have this issue?  And know of a way to fix it?  I could post a pic of what it looks like if that would help.

Thank you,

Gina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 482
bessT wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:28 PM

Gina4462:

I hope someone is still around to answer a question.  I've started my first sleeve and there is a big hole where the arm pit will be.  Anyone else have this issue?  And know of a way to fix it?  I could post a pic of what it looks like if that would help.

Thank you,

Gina

Hi Gina - I'm still subscribed Big Smile You could just sew the gap closed later? I had added extra stitches to the underarm for sleeves and body for a looser fit so didn't follow the written directions exactly. Does this help...

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Docdixon wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:29 PM

I had the very same problem, Gina. That's the reason my pan am 'vest' lies in my knitting bag waiting for sleeves! I need to rip back but got frustrated and put it up for a while. Hope someone replies. Good luck!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:29 PM

Hi

Gina4462:

Thank you,

Gina

Hi gina. It sounds like you need to pick up more stitches at the underarm. You can then either decrease them in the first few rows or make a gusset. I made a gusset and really liked it. Early in the KAL there were posts and pics. But if you need some help, let me know. 

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:48 PM
Hi. I'm on row 5 of the continuous border but just had a thought about the collar. I see lots of people found it didn't stand up as well as they thought. I am wondering if this is more about the placement of the buttonholes than the buttons. I have examined a sweater I already own (commercially hand knit!) with a crossover neck and stand up collar. The buttonholes are placed between the body and the collar rather than as part of the collar. This takes the weight of the jacket off the collar. Can anyone with a finished item tell me if they think placing the buttonholes at the body corner (eg by leaving a few stitches unpicked up at the corner) would help? Or would it just look strange? I've got a lot of unpicking to do if I want to try it, but I know it would make the border easier as there would be no buttonholes to worry about. Love to hear any thoughts!
Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
Hi. I'm on row 5 of the continuous border but just had a thought about the collar. I see lots of people found it didn't stand up as well as they thought. I am wondering if this is more about the placement of the buttonholes than the buttons. I have examined a sweater I already own (commercially hand knit!) with a crossover neck and stand up collar. The buttonholes are placed between the body and the collar rather than as part of the collar. This takes the weight of the jacket off the collar. Can anyone with a finished item tell me if they think placing the buttonholes at the body corner (eg by leaving a few stitches unpicked up at the corner) would help? Or would it just look strange? I've got a lot of unpicking to do if I want to try it, but I know it would make the border easier as there would be no buttonholes to worry about. Love to hear any thoughts!
Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 482
bessT wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:57 PM

BritishLass:

Our buttonholes are vertical gaps created by going back and forth a l-o-n-g way for part of the continuous border, then not as long a way for the other part, before joining to continue circular-fashion... If you want to skip the buttonholes and use snaps instead or a shawl pin, you could keep going on the circular route. I would really like to have had the 'buttonhole' part as a diagram for this pattern!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 10:25 PM
Thanks bessT. I understand the buttonhole construction (well at least in theory!) but was trying to find a solution to the button placement/collar not standing up issue that some people have noted. Would still love opinions on that as I am trying to decide whether to keep going on the border or tink to try my idea out.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 482
bessT wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 10:38 PM

BritishLass:
Thanks bessT. I understand the buttonhole construction (well at least in theory!) but was trying to find a solution to the button placement/collar not standing up issue that some people have noted. Would still love opinions on that as I am trying to decide whether to keep going on the border or tink to try my idea out.

I really think it depends not on buttonhole placement, but on the yarn, the knitter's tension and the shape of the wearer, probably more on the person's shape - I notice how very different the sweater is at the neckline on everyone in the photos posted! But have a go with your idea anyway!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
CarlineNM wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 4:03 AM

Hi Gina

I too had a hole in the armpit, which I fixed by stitching up when the jacket was done. Not the most elegant of solutions I guess but it worked!

Carline

Page 67 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  64 65 66 67 68  Next > | RSS