THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 11:59 PM

Lindasma:

I know I should probably wait for the instructions to arrive, but once I’ve decided on a project I’m afraid I’m not very patient. I REALLY hate to waste another weekend. After viewing the charts and using Kathleenster’s math for the 37.5”, I think I’ll need to cast on 72 stitches for my 50.5” size (looks like only one additional stitch for the left and right fronts). Is this correct? Also, if it isn’t against “the rules” (copyright or whatever laws govern these things), can someone explain how to handle the raglan stitches between pattern parts. If the sleeves aren’t scheduled until August/September, are these stitches put on stitch holders? If so, when?

Sorry to jump in with so many questions. Hopefully, things will be clearer once I actually get going on this. Thanks!

Lori in ETenn.

Hi Lori: I hate to be a bummer, but I can't imagine anybody - even a super-expert - being able to start this thing without the instructions. Oh, and to answer your other questions: you need to cast on 70 stitches (all sizes except the smallest cast on 70 stitches) and after the yoke is done the sleeve stitches do go on stitch holders. The divider stitches between the pattern parts are always the same (k1 p2 k1 on the RS) and they're one of the easiest things in the pattern. Hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Darlene Reed wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 5:10 AM

Want to join the KAL for the Pan Am Jacket.  Hope this is the place to join.  Using plymouth encore as wool just drives me crazy.  Hope to start today.  I need to make it one size larger yet.  Wonder if I could just use a larger needle?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Lindasma wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 5:23 AM

Thanks for the info, Adele! I know you're right about waiting for the instructions. I'll just have to find something else to do this weekend -- maybe try to organize some of my stash. ;-)

Not Ranked
Posts 9
seeke wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 6:13 AM

Hi all! I just signed on for the knit along. This is my first post here, so hopefully I am doing this right. Anyway, I am going to look for yarn and then do some serious translating.  I am a rather experienced knitter but English is not my mother language and this is the first time I am using a pattern in English. A difficult one as well! :)

I have one practical question: what is a marker ?  Can I find some information online on how it looks so I know what I need?  I think I know what it is, but just want to make sure.

Thanks & talk to you later.

Christel (aka seeke)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Coquinecat wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 6:45 AM

I have the pattern and bought the yarn and tried to set it up several times, but I find trying to combine the instructions and all of the illustrations is very very confusing. I am an experienced knitter, but there is something about these instructions that baffles me. Is there any way to get wirtten, rather than illustrated, help on how to start out?

Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KathrynT wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 6:48 AM

Yay!  This is the one I've been wanting to do.  Now to find the right yarn in my stash (I'm not allowed to buy more until you can at least walk into my knitting room!).

Kate

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MmeSegneri wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 6:48 AM

I LOVE this jacket!  This will the be first sweater I have ever knit for myself.  Need to get to the yarn store.

BTW, I am following along from Chazay d'Azergues, France.  This knit-a-long is international.  ;)

Lucinda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 6:59 AM

Christel,

Welcome.  A marker is put on the needle and is used to divide your stitches. Here's a picture of some.  For this pattern they are used to divide the various pieces of the jacket, front, sleeves, back, etc. and raglan divides because they are knit in a continuous piece rather than individually. The abbreviation m means marker, rm means raglan marker, where the divides occur. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
PatT@7 wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 6:59 AM

Hi...I'm in! I have some wonderful yarn in my stash that I have wanted to pair with a garment. And, this is it! Good to see the one I voted for win. Cool

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jun 22, 2012 7:07 AM

Well, I'm in!  I admit I am super intimidated by the pattern and then the discussion that insued about selvege stitches and such, but I'm jumping in. 

I ordered my yarn, it's come and I have the first skein nicely caked and ready for my needles.  I chose Stonehedge Fiber Mill - worsted in pansy.  I will be making the jacket for my sister - hopefully in time for Christmas. 

Thanks for the helpful hints that everyone posted so far. 

Woolie

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jun 22, 2012 7:22 AM

This is the one I voted for.  Love the look.  Now I need some suggestions for yarn.  I live in the south and I really don't think wool is all that practical.  But, I don't know enough about yarn to choose a good substitute.  So, all you experienced knitters out there, what are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Julianna

Not Ranked
Posts 9
seeke wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 7:23 AM

Thank you, Redbug ! I don't have any, but shopping is on the to do list for tomorrow., those markers and I need some long needles as well. I did find the yarn, a stone red, that is perfect for size.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SharonD@4 wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 7:24 AM

This is my first knit a long and can't wait.  I've been wanting to do this pattern since I saw it in the Winter issue. The only yarn in my stash with enough yardage is Farmhouse Yarns Autumn Spun in a navy blue with white specks.  Will see if I like it or not.  Might have to find another yarn!

Sharon

I went to my favorite knitting shop and bought a fabulous Handspun Camel Hair Yarn in a medium camel color.  A 40% off coupon helped me afford it. This yarn is perfect.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 9
seeke wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 7:32 AM

What is the best way to measure this chevron pattern ? If I measure the swatch at the bottom, it is a bit over 3.5 inches, but if I measure on top of  the stitches as they are on the needle, it is exactly 4 inch. Should I take a bigger needle, or will the pattern flatten out by itself ?

How do you do this ?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mmorgar wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 7:40 AM

This is the first time I've attempt to knit with a chart.  I like the look of the jacket so I'm going to give it a try.  Need to pick my yarn next.

Page 7 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS