THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
BetteM wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 7:42 AM

I haven't participated in a KAL in ages! Very excited about the Pan-Am jacket though. Off to swatch.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jun 22, 2012 7:45 AM

Hi! I am new to this forum and this is my first KAL. Will be checking my stash (trying to reduce my stash) to see what works otherwise will have to buy some yarn today.  This will be my first jacket.  Looked through the directions and the charts are a little intimidating but "nothing challenged, nothing gained", lol. 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
seeke wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 7:48 AM

This is really helpful !!! Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jun 22, 2012 8:03 AM

Found some yarn in my stash and planning to use Caron's Simply Soft.  Any experience knitters out there not recommending to use this yarn? I love the feel of this yarn but also have some allergies to wool so I need some suggestions if I should use something else. 

Thanks in advance,

Liz

Not Ranked
Posts 9
gaduval wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 8:26 AM

Greetings All,

I've never done a KAL in a forum before. I did do one CAL in the Lion Brand forum and thoroughly enjoyed that. Also, I'm presently doing a KAL with my knitting group, the colorwork vest from the Fall 2011 Vogue Magazine. However, I'm almost finished with the vest and saw this KAL. I do find this sweater to be quite charming, so I thought I would join in. Now, I have to find my interweave mag for the pattern. I haven't picked a yarn, but am sure that I have a stash yarn that I can use. I'm thinking the Cascade 220, in one of the light colors or even a forest green....

I may lag behind for a couple of weeks as I finish up a BA class that I'm in, but I will be here intermittently. Looking forward to the fun!

Georg-Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 8:42 AM

I've been knitting for awhile but never done a KAL.  I had already picked this pattern to knit so decided to join along.  I had originally purchased Cascade 220 in black for my project but am now concerned that this may not show the pattern to it's best advantage.  Any suggestions?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
are4664 wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 8:48 AM

This will be my first KAL and I am working through my stash to see if I already have something in stock that will work.

Is anyone going to try adding bust shaping, by any chance?  I have a large bust and would like to add some shaping to prevent it from looking like a big bag if possible.  However, I have not done that before so I would like to read what others are trying to accommodate curvier figures.  Thanks, good luck and have fun!! 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
gaduval wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 8:54 AM

Renate,

Did you do a swatch in the pattern stitch to see how the black actually looks? I have a significant amount of Cascade in lighter colors and may go with grey or beige... but I will probably swatch my forest green first to see how the pattern stitch stands out....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Jag009 wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 8:57 AM

I haven't done a KAL since the Bella Blouse, and I have so many projects brewing at the moment, but doing this one intrigues me.  I have a similar cardigan I knit last winter (The Off-Rib Cardigan) but it was very easy and didn't have all the charted patterns and various needles.  I'll look through my stash and try to make a decision over the week-end.  In any case, I'll be following this KAL with interest!

Jane

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 9:08 AM

are4664:

Is anyone going to try adding bust shaping, by any chance?  I have a large bust and would like to add some shaping to prevent it from looking like a big bag if possible.  However, I have not done that before so I would like to read what others are trying to accommodate curvier figures.  Thanks, good luck and have fun!! 

I have a large bust, too, and I've noticed that several people are thinking of adding a bust gusset. Right now I'm not planning to do that because I think that since the main stitch is basically a broken K2P2 rib there will be plenty of stretch. My swatch was very adaptable! This is a great pattern for deciding later, though, because it is knit from the top down so you don't have to make the decision of whether or not to add stitches until after the yoke is done and you start on the body.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 9:12 AM

About markers:

I hate plastic markers in knitting, because they're an annoying bulky hard thing in the middle of my stitch and I find it throws me off. So I just make a little loop of contrasting yarn and use that.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
are4664 wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 9:29 AM

What is a bust gusset?  Is it different than adding a few short rows to lengthen the fabric over the bust area?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 9:31 AM

seeke:

What is the best way to measure this chevron pattern ? If I measure the swatch at the bottom, it is a bit over 3.5 inches, but if I measure on top of  the stitches as they are on the needle, it is exactly 4 inch. Should I take a bigger needle, or will the pattern flatten out by itself ?

The needle is holding your swatch in a straight line and preventing it from pulling in like it wants to do because the chevron patterns is basically a K2P2 rib, and ribs always pull in a bit. So, what's on the needle is the actual size of your swatch but what's on the bottom is how wide it wants to be. My thought is that when you block the finished jacket some of the pulling-in will be eliminated and you should go by the size as it is on the needle.

However, most experts advise that the way to swatch is to knit a full swatch, cast it off, wash it and block it, just as you will your jacket and then measure. You could do that. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
KnitterJayne wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 9:37 AM

regarding the swatch, based on my experience, I recommend blocking the swatch, my measurements changed after blocking.  I started with the patter 4mm needles (too small), went to 5mm and thought it was right but after blocking it was too big; 4.5mm (US7) was just right. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 9:44 AM

are4664:

What is a bust gusset?  Is it different than adding a few short rows to lengthen the fabric over the bust area?

Yes, it is different. A bust gusset involves adding width at the side seam. The short rows allow the fabric to be longer on the front than on the back, so your front doesn't ride up if it needs more length. But that does nothing for the extra width that you also need. That's what the gusset adds.

One thing I've just thought of, which makes me think maybe I will add a gusset, is this: when you have a vertical stripe and the fabric has to expand to cover a large bust, the expansion takes the stripe off the vertical. You wind up with lines that should look like this: | | but when you wear the garment they look like this: < > , giving your knitwear a "va-va-va-voom" look that many of us don't really want. The chevron pattern isn't really a vertical stripe, but it's close to it.

With this pattern, since there is only a button at the top, I also worry that the open fronts won't hang down, but will spring sideways.

Page 8 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next >  ... Last » | RSS