Lace disaster

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Sheffer wrote
on Jun 29, 2012 3:12 AM

I would be really grateful if anyone could advise me here. I'm fairly new to knitting and I want to knit a nice simple  lace border for a sweater. I found this:

Row Number Begin Row Repeat  
Row: 1 -
(Right side)
* yo, k1, yo, k2, (k2-tog) twice, k2, yo, k2-tog, k1 repeat from *
Row: 2 - * purl repeat from *
Row: 3 - * yo, k3, yo, k1, (k2-tog) twice, k1, yo, k2-tog, k1 repeat from *
Row: 4 - * purl repeat from *
Row: 5 - * yo, k5, yo, (k2-tog) twice, yo, k2-tog, k1 repeat from *
Row: 6 - * purl repeat from *
Row: 7 - * yo, k3, k2-tog, k2, yo, k2-tog, yo, k2-tog, k1 repeat from *
Row: 8 - * purl repeat from *

So I tried a test piece, repeating the pattern twice, and ended up with this:

What's gone wrong????

Many thanks

Lizzy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 647
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 5:35 AM

Very pretty pattern. Make sure you're doing the yarn over correctly.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/yarn-over-continental

It doesn't use a stitch, it occurs between stitches.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Jul 31, 2012 12:38 PM

Hi Sheffer,

I am a lace knitter from way back.  Your knitting may not be the problem.  I have seen this leaf border before.  It is commonly used as a shawl or towel edging.  However most of the  leaf patterns don't use a K2tog decrease to get that ridge in the center. The type of decrease that is shown in the picture looks more like a slipped double decrease known as Slip 2, Knit 1, pass the two slipped stitches back over the one stitch you just knit.  It is often abbreviated as S2K1 P2SSO.

I have a couple of questions for you.

1.  Where did you find the pattern? Check back with the source and see if there is a listing for an error correction.  No matter how stringent a site or book is proofread, errors do pop up and they are not found until you actually try to work the pattern.

2.  How many stitches is the pattern repeated over?  When I do a sample swatch of a pattern that I am going to use in a design, I repeat it over at least 4 and sometimes 5 repeats to get a feel for how the pattern will lay when I block it and how repetitive the pattern is. 

One last note, this pattern is often knit onto a finished piece by using the edge of the bound off piece as the first stitch in the row.  It is also a pattern that works best in fairly light wt. yarns or threads.  If you are looking for a lacy edge for a sweater and you are using a DK or worsted wt yarn, I would suggest looking up the pattern for Feather and Fan Lace.  It is a very simple lace pattern worked over 12 or 18 stitches depending on which one you find and it is a straight 4 row repeat, so you can begin the sweater and sleeves with this pattern and easily transition into stockinette or other stitches that you plan on using for the main body of the sweater.

If you don't have any luck finding the pattern, leave a message for me here and I will be glad to get it to you.

Mary

Ravenwood Designs 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 12:07 PM

Hi,

Try using just 12 stitches.  I did that and it came out fine.  The 12 stitches are just one repeat of the pattern - not sure why they tell you to repeat more than that - doesn't make sense to me.  Not knowing how many stitches they tell you to cast on I had to make an educated guess, and looking at the picture of the trim provided it appears to be only the 12 stitches.

Let us know if you get it worked out. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 4:22 PM

Hi Sheffer, 

I agree with Mary re the yarn you are using in the pic.  It is not going to show up your lacey pattern well because of its weight.  Unless you were to go up needle sizes, but the pattern looks bettern in a lighter weight yarn.  In other words, that yarn in your pic will not show up the stitch definition as well.  Your yarn is more suitable to the feather and fan or a chevron pattern of that sort.  http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/feather_fan.htm  Here is a pic of one.  You can try a swatch in a light weight yarn so you can see the difference.  Also, when doing lace if not paying attn it is so easy to misread your stitches, especially if you've been working at it for awhile and you get tired.  Sometimes I'll be knitting along and it says k3 and I'll end up doing a k3tog, or leave of the y/o next to the p1.  When I start to daydream I make errors.  Hope you can work this out. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 6:45 PM

Hi Mary, She found  it here http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.guest.cfm?StitchID=2275&name=Small%20Leaf%20Edging&numofst=12&stplus=0&rows=8&rplus=0&sym

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 7:14 PM

Sheffer

I knit a swatch as patterns reads.  Then I changed yarns and got this result.  The ridge in the leaf stands out a little better.    The yarn makes a big difference.  I used some scrap baby yarn in a light yellow which made it a little difficult to show up the pattern but if you can see it in this light color it would show up more in a different lighting.  Trying a different yarn which is not too fuzzy would help out as well.  The fuzz eats up the stitch definition.  Maybe even a lightweight cotton yarn would show the stitches better for you.  But the pattern is correct, I followed it exactly as it reads.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Aug 3, 2012 11:28 PM

ZassZ,

That looks more like the leaf pattern I am familiar with.  I like the eyelet row at the top and the bottom of the swatch.  You just gave me an idea for a new design element in my next lace layout. 

Thanks

Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 5, 2012 9:37 PM

Hi Mary,

I just added a plain 4 sts (2 stitches at each end), slipping the first stitch at beg of each row, knit the next, then did the pattern as it reads, and finishing that row with a k2.  On each successive row the same thing.  I just did it so I would have something to pin down for the pic.  What are you going to make? 

Looking at Sheffers' sample knit it seems as though the y/o's are being omitted.  Chewchew, it seems that the repeat is going lengthwise as you already know, so one could make the strip any length needed thus the repeats on the 12 stitches as many as you need, but you could also make it wider by doubling the 12 stitches for the leaf or tripling, etc. and/or putting a couple stitches between each of the leaves.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 3:48 PM

I currently have 2 designs on the drawing board.  One is a rectangular wrap done in cables and lace, I may incorporate the eyelet into the lace sections or as part of the borders.  The other piece I have on the drawing board is a pair of gauntlet style gloves and matching cowl done in the feather and fan pattern.  Feather and Fan happen to be one of my favorites because you can use markers to keep track of the repeats and  since it repeats over 4 rows, it goes fairly quick.  The yarn I am using is called Shadow. It is a 100% merino wool lace weight sold by Knit Picks and comes in a wide variety of luscious colors.  They also have it in their Bare collection that they sell for hand dying.  I just finished a horseshoe lace shawl using the bare.  It is now lying on blocking pads on my bed to keep the puppies away from it.  I will be taking pictures of it and as soon as I figure out how to post them, I will post one for you to see. 

Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 4:19 PM

Hi Mary, 

I love using markers too.  When I was in the lys earlier this week one of the knitters couldn't understand why she was getting so frustrated with keeping track of her stitch repeats.  Since I had my shawl project in a clear zip back I took it out to show her where I had placed the markers at intervals to help keep count.  They are so helpful & without them, I would drive myself nuts.  Knitting is relaxing but if you are constantly worrying about counting then it is not.  I love Chevron for similar reason you love Feather & Fan.  So fun to do.  I love to plan out my color changes or try out self striping yarn on these patterns.  I'll take a look at your yarn on knit picks - i love to see the colors it is available in.   

Looking forward to seeing how you incorporate your eyelet into pattern.  If you need direction on posting pic how to here is how.   

Kathleen Cubley:

Hi KALers!

Here's how you upload photos:

1. Click on the little green filmstrip icon (near the yellow smily-face icon) above the text area. This will bring up a box labeled "Insert Media." There are three tabs on top; stay on the "From Computer" tab (unless you're uploading a photo from a website or something).

2. Click the "browse" button on the right side of the box. Choose your photo file from your computer and double click on it.

3. Click the "insert" button and, like magic, your photo will appear.

Questions? Please reply to this post.

Kathleen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 12:32 PM

ZassZ,

Thanks for the info.  Here goes.  This is the shawl I did.  The pattern is horseshoe lace, a common element found in Shetland Lace knitting.

Ignore the date stamp, I forgot to reset my camera.  Blond moment (I'm a redhead!).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 12:51 PM

hi mary!

I missed this post of yours.  Have not been on for a while, but glad I came across your beautiful shawl.  Wow it looks quite abundant to wrap yourself up in.  I love it!  It's always good to have enough fabric rather than too little.  Quite one of my pet peeves.  But this is truly lovely and thank you for sharing.  I am putting up the pics I finally took of last projects over in the other thread. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 4:59 PM

Thank you ZassZ.  As my hubby said on Facebook after I posted it there, In person it is quite striking.  I'm just glad to finally get it done.  I have made myself sit down and finish my UFOs before I start any  more projects.  I am almost done with that.  I finished the Entrelac pillow I was making last night and I am finishing a pair of socks. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS